Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Period of Effectiveness for Welder's qualification
- - By binhjack (*) Date 08-27-2016 09:03 Edited 08-27-2016 16:48
Hi guys,

I read this in AWS D1.1-2015

"The welder’s or welding operator’s qualification as specified in this code shall be considered as remaining in effect indefinitely unless:

(1) the welder is not engaged in a given process of welding for which the welder or welding operator is qualified for a period exceeding six months, or

(2) there is some specific reason to question a welder’s or welding operator’s ability (see 4.24.1)."

So it means the effectiveness of qualification will remain indefinitely as long as validity of qualification is verified at the period of six months since initial approval, doesn't it?

And one more question: Is it possible to verify the validity of qualification as many times as I want?

I mean that I just need to make a verification on product, no need to make a retest on test specimen then have essential inspection to check the ability of welder, even the verification will be repeated at the period of six months since initial approval in 2 years, 5 years, etc.

Pls. help me

Thanks and best regards.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-27-2016 14:03
I don't understand your second question.

Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-27-2016 15:15
"And one more question: It is no limit regarding the times for verify the validity of qualification, isn't it?".....

If I understand the question, there is no time limit, as long as the verification doesn't exceed six months. Technically, you could verify it every day of the week if you wanted to.
Parent - By binhjack (*) Date 08-27-2016 16:29
I fixed the second question
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-27-2016 17:08
I hate to say this, but you still have me confused. I'm not sure what you are looking for and what your function or reason for asking the question is.

As QC, working for the contractor doing the work, you need to verify the welder has used the process at least once in any six month period. The code doesn't state the welds have to be subjected to any form of inspection or that there is a minimum amount of welding that must be performed. The welder could simply make a tack weld and the letter of the code is met.

As QA, representing the owner, there is no stated requirements regarding the method used to demonstrate continuity. The contractor can employ any means they want to use. A simple written statement that the welders have used the process in question during the previous six month period, a check of time card, etc. is all that is needed. There is no requirement for a paper trail in the code. It is the contractor's responsibility to ensure the welders have no lapses. An audit trail is not required per D1.1 or any of the AWS structural welding codes.

Another contractual requirement might be included in the project specification or construction code, but a formal, written system of demonstrated continuity is not included in any AWS structural welding code save the bridge code (and I haven't checked it to verify the requirements).

Continuity can be addressed by the contractor's QC manual if they have one.

Al
Parent - By binhjack (*) Date 08-28-2016 01:21
Thank you so much Al,

I got the needed information
Parent - - By binhjack (*) Date 08-28-2016 04:18
Hi Al,

Can the verification be carried out by our company through the inprocess inspections and documentation of the welding activity? Or it has to be carried out by third-party?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-28-2016 12:10
Under the auspices of the AWS structural welding codes, the contractor is responsible for quality control functions. The expectations and responsibilities of the contractor are defined in clause 2 and 6 of AWS D1.1. Maintaining welders continuity is a quality control function.

The owner's responsibilities are also defined. Primarily, the owner is responsible for quality assurence, i.e., verifying the contractor is upholding their quality control responsibilities as defined by the codes and the contract. However, the owner does not assume responsibility for quality control by exercising their right to perform quality assurance functions.

Should anything go awry, rest assured it is the contractor that remains legally responsible and subject to legal action in the event the conditions of the code and contract are not met.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Period of Effectiveness for Welder's qualification