- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-27-2016 15:53
I just visited the new Forum.

My only comment, one word - clumsy

Other observations:
Poorly organized
Difficult to navigate
Not intuitive to use
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-27-2016 20:42
I'm glad you gave us the heads up on the new forum Al I was curious.

M.G.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-28-2016 00:25
This one is much easier to use. The lack of different categories is making it hard to follow.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-29-2016 18:44
I've been going to the new forum during my lunch break for a couple of weeks now, I thought this "old" forum had been de-commissioned. It's good to see you guys are still here and actively sharing the knowledge. Here's a few observations:
1--the new forum is definitely not as convenient to use, everything's jumbled into one big "wall of text"...haha
2--try finding this old forum by going to aws.org, it's not there...so don't delete the bookmark for this site on your browsers
3--it may be just me, but this old forum now seems to be be inundated with engineering questions from people not in the USA
4--again, probably just me, but the new forum is now inundated with people that think they will get direct answers from the AWS by submitting questions, as if it is some kind of help desk or something
5--the new forum kind of sucks without you guys on there (you know who you are!)
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-29-2016 19:18
"3--it may be just me, but this old forum now seems to be be inundated with engineering questions from people not in the USA"

As we've built years worth of discussion archives on every conceivable welding topic in this forum, now when you do a google search for an issue, the results that show from this forum are often the most helpful.
I think that's why we get so much more international traffic than we used to.

Try a google search on a couple random weld topics and you'll probly see what I mean.

Tim
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 09-06-2016 10:43
Al, I must stick with you, I don't wanna go there:lol:
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-06-2016 10:56
Good morning Joey;

I have to confess, I have been visiting the new site just because I'm a welding junkie and I can't help myself. However, this site is still my preference because I enjoy the international flavor and the friendships we've established. Looking forward to a long continued presence right here with my friends.

Best regards - Al
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-28-2016 03:04
It would appear they are attempting to clone Linked-In. Same format, just difficult to follow. Just as screwed up. They have something that is original and they are tossing it away, Silly Goose!

Upper management should hand someone their head and their last paycheck.

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-28-2016 12:48
I just went through this AM and made a few posts and tried to get caught up on what had been done, this is SOOOOO much easier.

Gerald
Parent - By KBNY (**) Date 09-02-2016 17:07
The new forum is not organized at all. I will continue to use this site first.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 08-29-2016 20:35 Edited 08-30-2016 01:19
This reminds me of the 13 year old that decided not to participate on the international Olympic team because the team leotards didn't match the color of her eyes.

AWS has an international forum that draws people from around the world, but they want to toss it aside because they have something that is shine and new. It doesn't work, but they won't admit they have a mutt with three legs, one ear, blind in one eye, can't see out of the other, and answers to the name "Lucky". Duh!!!!!!!

Al
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-30-2016 00:43
Not impressed for sure.  But, it is what it is I guess.
- - By mwmw (**) Date 08-31-2016 01:20
I just started exploring it a few days ago...definitely different and confusing ATM
Parent - - By dringge (*) Date 09-01-2016 15:46
I dont even know where the new forum is. I like it here but then I am stubborn that way.
- - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-06-2016 23:24
I have been off-line for about 6 weeks due to health issues, so I have missed what eventually happened to the forum. Could someone briefly summarize what did happen? ( I have access to the new forum, and I am surprised to find the one I cared about still here!)
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 09-07-2016 12:26
This forum is supposed to be kept open, but the spam was pretty bad for a few weeks.
AWS finally gave John Wright, our volunteer moderator, more access to different topics, and either he has been working his but off deleting spam, or AWS folks heave been more diligent, or both.

The new forum is up and going, is getting a lot of traffic, but is a jumbled up mess.
They're supposed to add categories and such to help organize it. I don't understand why that was not done before the release.
As of right now, there are no topics, no way to differentiate what you've already read vs not read, and no obvious indications that anyone has responded to one of your posts.

The things I like about the new forum, are that AWS seems to be pushing for their employees to answer AWS related questions. I suspect that Alfred is notifying appropriate AWS parties when a forum topic that relates to their particular niche shows up.
Also, the new forum is broadening the pool of participating experts.

Tim
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-07-2016 12:41
Besides the format, I do like it. As an ex welding forum junkie, I do feel myself slipping back into multiple logins during the day.

But it is a MESS.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-07-2016 13:58
Been taking out the trash, and banning the sign-ons that only post spam. Working so far. ::Fingers crossed::
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-07-2016 15:26
Thanks for what you do John. :grin:

Tim
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-07-2016 16:01
They gave you the BAN HAMMER !

Woot !
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-07-2016 17:49
Shhh.......don't draw too attention to it. LOL
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-08-2016 11:54
Thank you John. With your help, there's still hope for this once great forum.
Parent - By KBNY (**) Date 09-14-2016 12:01
Thank you so much for this!!
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-07-2016 22:29
Tim,thanks for the update!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Forum