Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Feasibility of Backgouge Weld in Steel Pipe Pile
- - By fm1446 Date 12-21-2016 00:30
An EOR require for the project I'm currently involved with specifies a B-U2 CJP weld with backgouging to splice 36" dia. x 1" wall steel pipe piles that are anywhere from 80'-100' long. Is this something that's common and is possible for a normal fabrication shop to safely perform?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-21-2016 00:59
I have personally 'crawled' and done repairs and/or fabrication welding on 20 and 22" diameter pipe.  36" is not much of an issue in most cases. 

Where you must be careful is with confined spaces requirements.  Check it out real good to make sure proper ventilation and breathing is taken care of.

Now, I would reverse the process and weld a backing weld, two or three passes, on the inside first and follow up with backgouging by grinding or air arc on the outside and finish welding from there.  Air arc inside that space is not really a good idea if it can be eliminated. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fm1446 Date 12-21-2016 01:21
Thanks for the response. The help is much appreciated.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-21-2016 11:58
"Now, I would reverse the process and weld a backing weld, two or three passes, on the inside first and follow up with backgouging by grinding or air arc on the outside and finish welding from there."-Brent

Yes...make it easier on your welder by performing the back gouging on the outside. All of that air and hot slag flying around up inside with your welder makes for a miserable job.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-21-2016 17:22
Process control and proper sequencing can make the job manageable or make the life of the welder miserable. All too often the health and safety of the welder is overlooked.

The welding symbol can be used to specify the welding of the ID first and the BG and final welding performed from the outside. Welding symbols with multiple reference lines are a wonderful tool.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Feasibility of Backgouge Weld in Steel Pipe Pile