Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / cap width
- - By H.K.R (*) Date 01-06-2019 11:05
Dear All
just asking which code can i find the description of cap width (i know that must not more than 3 times the electrode dia) so if any body know the code and which section .thanks
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-06-2019 13:49
That is not a requirement in most codes.  It may be a requirement on a WPS, company requirements,  or even in project specifications. It is an extensively talked about subject and may have quite a few opinions.

Often times the number of 2-1/2 times the core diameter comes up. It is a "wives tale" level requirement if its taught as something a code said and does not tell you which code! That number can be found in some the AWS A5.x filler metal specifications but is only for certain tests to qualify the filler metals.

If you "know" that it must not be more than 3X, then you gained that knowledge somewhere. Take a look at that "source" and see if any references are made.

If you want to do some research on many of the fine opinions used in this forum, check out the search results in the following link or use the search menu at the top of the page.

https://app.aws.org/forum/forum_search.pl?words=width&user=&board=0&field=subject&min=&max=&order=desc.
Parent - By H.K.R (*) Date 01-17-2019 04:53
i am so thankful and grateful
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / cap width