Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld bead sequence & Number of beads as per AWS D1.1
- - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 05-20-2019 11:38
Are weld bead sequence or number of beads essential variable as per AWS D1.1????
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-20-2019 12:17
Hi Ilkin

The essential variables for Procedure qualification are found in Table 4.5, 4.6 & 4.7 depending on process or CVN requirements.

The essential variables for Performance qualification are found in Table 4.12.

The short answer I think is No.

However there can be restrictions on Maximum fillet size and there can be restrictions on weaves vs stringer beads when CVN's are required (table 4.6) which can have an impact on number of beads produced in a weldment.

Having said that... If bead sequence or number of beads are important for the fabrication of whatever it is you are making, you can of course place that requirement into your WPS and that makes it essential for the welder to follow.

If you say a little more about your situation and why you ask the questions, I think you will get much better feedback.
Parent - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 05-22-2019 12:05
Thanks Lawrence for reply,

i met with this question during WPQT. for WPQT we are useing less thickness which can cover 1.5 times greater than itself , during production of jacket and topside platform.
We have welded  2 test coupons for one WPQT and welders used 3.2 & 4.0 dia mm for fill passes
for first test coupon they welded 2 passes with 3.2  and remain  fill passes with 4.0 mm
for second coupon welders welded 2 passes with 3.2 and remain fill passes for each layer 2 passes with 4.0 and 1 pass with 3.2

thickness 25.4 mm & OD 22''
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld bead sequence & Number of beads as per AWS D1.1