Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Resistance and projection WPS, code?
- - By Daniel.Ramos Date 06-04-2019 16:44
Hi
I have a question about making a WPS/PQR with the process spot resistance and the process projection welding of nuts in sheet metal. I'm trying to find a code in which I could base to make the Welding process specification, but neither the D1.3 (That doesn't include this processes) and D8.1 (because it is an automotive application but the code doesn't have enough info about qualification) mention how many and which test should I perform to qualify the process.
Any idea in which code could I find this info (type and quantity of test to qualify a process)?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-04-2019 17:20
If you are looking for a methodology or rational basis of qualifying the process, consider AWS D17.2. The standard is for aerospace, but it does provide a rational basis of qualifying the process. You can determine whether the appropriate weld category is, i.e., Class A, B, or C for your particular application and then you can qualify the schedule (process) based on how you categorize the welds.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-04-2019 18:18
Great answer!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-04-2019 18:58
Thanks Tom.

Al
Parent - - By Daniel.Ramos Date 06-18-2019 14:09
Thanks for the answer Al, in the case of the WPS in Projection welding of nuts and threaded fasteners any idea?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-18-2019 17:17
Try checking the Welding Handbook under quality control. There may be something on the subject, but it will most likely involve some sort of tensile or torque testing to ensure the fasteners don't fail below some threshold value.

The resistance welding handbook may also have something on the subject. I don't know, just grasping at straws.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Resistance and projection WPS, code?