Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The tricks of the trade have begun...
- - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 08-09-2003 06:13
www.fungusworks.com/TheShow/index.html

Click on exhaust and I hope you enjoy the show!

C-TOWN
Parent - By mcavana (**) Date 08-09-2003 15:26
what kind of metal is the pipe, what kind of filler did you use?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-09-2003 16:04
Hello Chevytown!!!

Just a tip about posting a website...
Make sure that when you type in the website, always start with:
http:// then type in for example: www.fungusworks.com/TheShow/index.html

In stead write it like this:
http://www.fungusworks.com/TheShow/index.html

The reason is because, in the forum it takes longer to come back to it if the person has to go back to their web browser, and then to BBS Grand Central...
Anywho, how are things in Califas otherwise known as California, besides the terminator running for governor?

Are you learning more about your equipment?

How are your welds coming out now that you've had some time to experiment with your settings?

Look foward to reading more!!!
Dios te bendigas caballero!!! (god bless you cowboy or horserider)

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

P.S. Btw, nice pics!! welds are a little rough but, with practice you'll definitely come up with nicer looking welds that have more uniform fusion, penetration, and overall better looking appearance... However, for someone who's just starting out, you are doing very well so, do'nt misunderstand my critique... Muy Bueno!!! Keep it up!!!

In your welding machine manual you have your voltage equivalents for your front panel settings, right? Does the same goes for your wire feed speed settings? Also, your gas shielding flow rates? If they are, please either post them or e-mail them to me so that I and others can give you suggestions for optimal welding machine settings so that your welds can come out better, Okay?
Holler!!!
Parent - - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 08-09-2003 17:12
Sup fellas. LOL, yeah, the welds look funky compadre. I was trying from different angles but should have stuck with what worked. Was not a good time to experiment. It's easier when welding above the tubing as opposed to when the tubing is straigt up and down and the joints are parralel with the ground. I noticed when I did that, the filler became bulky as opposed to a flat run with good penetration. I'll make sure to do that with the rest. Oh, I bought a Lincoln auto shade and can't tell you how much I improved overall. I realized how important it is to see where the arc begins. Before, I'd have to find the arc, but sometimes my eyes would do the two step trying to find it and by then I travelled some. Sometimes in the wrong direction...LOL! Gracias for the tip on the website deal. Would rather have a window pop-up than the deal I sent some of you on...woooops! I'm sticking (for now) with Lincoln's suggestions in the inside panel of the a machine. B-2 works great with the 16 gauge tubing. Very good penetration. When I start using gas, I give a shout for some help...cuz I know I'm gonna need it!

Mcavana, it's mild steel, 16 gauge tubing from Summit Racing. The filler I used was the flux cored .035 wire from Lincoln. Not sure of the exact name, but I could find out. The only thing is I'm going to have to spray the welds so that they don't rust. No big deal.

Gotta go back to work!

CT
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-09-2003 19:10
[deleted]
Parent - - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 08-09-2003 20:53
You got it POB!

Compadre, today went a lot better. I stuck with what I knew and the welds were flat and penetrated correctly. I'll try and post some pictures later. Unfortunately, the digital camera I have gets funky when I try and get close-up shots. I'd like to post them for some critique.

Later on Hometowns.

CT
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-09-2003 23:10
[deleted]
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-09-2003 23:17
[deleted]
Parent - - By robism (*) Date 08-09-2003 23:22
[deleted]
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-09-2003 23:44
[deleted]
Parent - - By robism (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:00
[deleted]
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:07
[deleted]
Parent - - By robism (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:08
[deleted]
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:20
[deleted]
Parent - - By robism (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:28
[deleted]
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:33
[deleted]
Parent - - By robism (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:38
[deleted]
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:43
[deleted]
Parent - - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 08-10-2003 01:48
[deleted]
Parent - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-10-2003 02:33
[deleted]
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-10-2003 06:13
C-town-
Neatly done- if you're the beginner you say you are there's hope for you.
Bill
Parent - - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 08-10-2003 14:36
Muchas gracias Bill.
I have only been welding a few moons and let me tell ya, yesterday I slapped on the exhaust I made and so far so good. I cranked it up to 5000 rpm a few times knowing those pipes were going to be vibrating like crazy...so far so good...

Now I'm just waiting on the Hooker mandrel pipes sos I can start the chairs. Talk about a cool mix of Art and Motormadness...my kind of style.

C-TOWN
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-11-2003 11:09
Chevy,
Love that work on them heads. Looks like you have smoothed out those ports nicely. Did that pick your power up any on top end? EFI looks good sitting up there on that manifold. I had an old pick-up with a 250 six when I first got my driver's license. Man, I loved that old truck. I hauled so much on that thing and that old six would bog on down but keep on pulling. The only problem I had with mine was the distributor was right there beside the wheel and would get wet too easy, I had to keep some wiredryer in a can to spray on that thing when it was damp or it would not start. Miss them good old times! Keep up the practice on those welds, you are coming along.
Have a great day and don't worry about those two guys that have been doggin' everybody,
John Wright
Parent - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 08-11-2003 23:54
Gracias JW. That porting took forever (did some work on the bosses) but when I was done, it was an awesome feeling of accomplishment. Kinda what I'm feeling right now...Arc Welding Fo' Life!

It picked up some good ponies. About 5 years ago it was on a chassis dyno in East Los at Bill's Dyno and pumped out 164 rwhp. Not bad at the time. Since then, I have done some adjustments in some areas and I'll tell yeah, FRANKENSTEIN acts more rambunctious all over the torque curve ;^)

You're right on the money homeboy, these semi-little powerplants will run forever...It's always taken care of me.

Adios amigo. B-COOL

CT

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The tricks of the trade have begun...