Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / OT: pressing out shapes from sheetmetal
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 08-21-2003 16:06
Hi Folks!

This is an off-topic question. I want to be able to "stamp" out some shapes (textured fish, for instance) from fairly thick sheetmetal (like in maybe 1/32" - 1/16" or so). This is pretty much all ornamental. Is there a machine that would fit in a home workshop that would do that? Or is there a source of dies that will work with a basic hand-operated shop press for stuff like this?

I'm assuming I'd first cut the pieces with probably a plasma cutter, then press the concave shape and texture into the cut pieces. If there's a better way, please suggest!

Thanks!
Dave
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 08-21-2003 16:17
Hi Dave,

How big are your fish? Are you making a large quantity or just one or two at a time? Unless you are spending a lot of money, I think you are going to end up buying some tool steel rounds, grinding and filing the profile and contour you need, and using your arbor press or a hammer and a shot bag. You may need to heat treat them if they wear too much.

Good Luck!
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 08-21-2003 21:10
Hi Bill:

Size would be around 6" across or so. Probably a few at a time (like in 5-10) or so. I was thinking along the same line of using a hand-operated benchtop hydraulic press, and probably having to make the dies by hand.

Thx,
Dave
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / OT: pressing out shapes from sheetmetal