Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller wire feed on a linde
- - By bailey Date 09-22-2003 18:50
I have a linde Heliarc 250 H F which will run tig or stick. I came across
a Miller s-22a 24 volt constant wire feed. I made up a 24 volt power supply and that works good to control the wire feeder. Set everything to stick on the linde welder, tried streight polarity and reverse polarity
it will weld but not good had a freind of my who is a welder by trade try it he did'nt do any better than I did, he says the welding sound does not
sound right he says it should sound like frying bacon. He says it sounds more like tigging than welding. I have both gasses settings are right.
Also when you do weld you are about 1 inch away from your work my
freind says that is to far away. Everything points to the machine but
it seams to me these wire feeds just set on a stick welder and should work fine,the wire feed is rated 100 volts 500 amps. Maybe it should be on a bigger machine, but I don't think it should matter.
Does any body have any reasons why this does not work or suggestions. Thanks for any input Dennis
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 09-22-2003 19:46
The reason that this doesn't work is that your Linde machine is a constant current stick machine. The 22-A feeder requires constant voltage to operate. In order for your feeder to work, you will need a constant voltage (CV) powersource. There are feeders on the market, usually called suitcase feeders (i.e. lincoln LN-25, Miller S-32P, 8VS and 12VS, etc.....)that will run on any machine, but unortunately, yours doesn't. If you would like to know the difference between the two, reply here and I will post another story.
Regards
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 09-23-2003 04:35
I use a 100 amp 24v regulated battery charger to provide power to a Lincoln and a Miller wire feeder. It works good. I run at 100 amps and 26 volts using .035 wire and CO2.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller wire feed on a linde