Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / AWS Qualification Specifications
- - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-07-2004 16:21
Does anyone have any first hand information regarding any of the AWS personnel qualification specifications? These deal with guidelines that employers use to develop in-house programs (not the programs administered by AWS). In the 2004 AWS catalog, see page 9. Code Numbers are B5.5, B5.9, B5.17, B5.1, B5.2, B5.15, EG2.0, EG3.0, EG4.0.

Thanks
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-08-2004 16:47
I was the original B5 Secretary while employed at AWS Headquarters and can probably give you some good history regarding why these were developed, what they are about and who to contact if you're interested in technical matters about them. Send me an e-mail or let me know what you're looking for, okay?
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-08-2004 20:14
Jon

One of my oldest clients (24 yrs.) has a corporate manufacturing & operating procedure manual which details their shop practice, requirements, guidelines etc. It is very adequate. Regional management in the area I work in realizes the importance of training and wants to develop a specific personnel certification program for both their in-house employees and for their sub-contractors. Since I have a long relationship with this firm, I have been asked to participate with the team that is putting together some ideas. (Other members are engineers, supervisors, a safety director and a sales/marketing manager)

It was an unexpected pleasure to get a response from someone on the ground floor during the development of these specifications. Now that you see where I’m going, do you think these specifications can be of help to us?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-08-2004 21:02
Yes, I do; although the Specifications themselves are intentionally written very generic. Drop me an e-mail and I will give you more precise information, okay? As a bare minimum, I will put you in touch with the right people to guide you - I just don't want to post names and e-mail addresses here in the forum.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-09-2004 19:40
jon

e-mail has been sent
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-10-2004 14:51
Thanks, got it at my home address, forwarded it to my work address but in doing so lost your e-mail address~ grrrrrrr, technology! Well, in any case, I think I kind of understood your question. The B5 documents of today are written fairly generically towards each of the subject matters. There are specific recommendations as to experience requirements, etc. The B5 Committee was originally formed when the AWS Board of Directors decided that the former Qualification and Certifications Committee (originally a single committee) should be separate entities to closer follow the international scheme of things (this was not a very popular decision among the existing committee members). So.... to cut through a lot of history, what you see as today's B5 Standards are, for the most part, the re-written Q&C standards of old. There are a few "new" topics that were added and I personally feel they are of some value to industry. I don't know if that helps much, let me know if you have some specific questions I can help with.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / AWS Qualification Specifications