Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 93 Kenworth Dumptruck Frame
- - By garryweld Date 04-09-2004 13:42
I have a frame to weld up on a 93 Kenworth Dumptruck, I need to know the most capatable wire or rod to use and possibly the procedure. I know that some frames are heat treated. Any comments or WPS would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks garryweld
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-09-2004 23:44
Are you repairing the frame? If so where at and what type of repair?
Are you stretching the frame? On Semi Tractor frames if it has been heat treated it usually has a sticker somewhere on the frame, usually yellow, say do not weld -heat treated material. I have before. Need to know your exact situation as much as possible.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By garryweld Date 04-10-2004 01:37
I'm in Ohio an this will be a repair to where the crossmember bolts on after the repair it will be fish plated ie both sides. The guy who is doing the repair said he called kenworth and they said the frame is heat treated and that he use's 8018 rod.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-10-2004 04:06
Sounds good. I would make the fish plate extend at least 6-8 inches to each side of the repair. Make sure to groove out the crack both sides to obtain full penetration. I don't remember off hand if the cross members bolt to the legs of the channel frame or the web. I can't remember what material the frames are either off hand.

Hope this helps

Brian J. Maas
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 93 Kenworth Dumptruck Frame