Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG Question
- - By - Date 10-21-2000 03:11
Can someone explain to me what the benefit is to a gas lense setup? When should you use one and when shouldn't you.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-21-2000 17:22
A gas lens takes the swirling motion out of the gas and causes it to shoot straight out of the cup allowing you to have more tungston sticking out. Generaly what ever the cup ID is how much tungston you can have sticking out of it.
We do a lot of work on edges and outside cornners and the lens will help the gas to flow down the sides.

I like the gas coverage it gives,only Problem is that the cups are larger and cant get in to some places.
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 10-22-2000 17:50
I definetley prefer a gas lense over a regular collet because of the fact you can tig in less than ideal conditions. If you have a drafty welding area, the gas lens can save a lot of porosity.
Parent - - By Goose (**) Date 10-25-2000 01:46
When you say the tungsten needs to stick out equal to the diameter of the ID of the cup, do you mean sticking out from the collet end, or out past the end of the nozzle?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-25-2000 22:11
Sticking out of the cup!
If you have a 1/2" cup you can have 1/2" of tungsten beyond the edge of the cup, baring drafts.
Parent - - By Goose (**) Date 10-25-2000 23:41
Wow!!! I have olny been extending the tungsten out about 1/8" with #5, 6, & 7 nozzles.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of long extension vs. short extension?

I am very new to TIG welding and have not found any local classes to attend yet.

I have seen some very narrow weld beads done before, but have not been able to duplicate them. Does the tungsten extension have anything to do with being able to control the bead size? I had tried both 1/16" & 3/32" tungsten and not seen much difference in bead width, only penetration. I am welding mainly 1/8 to 3/16" mild steel.

Thanks for any suggestions for a novice
Todd Geisler
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-27-2000 00:44
It will allow you to get in to and tight places like deep narrow gooves, It will afford you a better view in some jobs. We work in side of very deep narrow cavitys alot and there is only enough room to get the torch in, you only have one point of view and no room to manipulate the torch. So we use gas lenses most of the time. There are jobs where the large size of the cup body is to much tough.

FYI The heat you get from your torch is plasma and plasma is the gas reacting with the electric arc. Thus the more gas and arc the more heat and more heat= more puddle. So not really! but a lot of practice will.

Voltage effects puddle also. The higher the voltage the wider the puddle and narrower the penetration. Lower voltage gives you a narrower and higher crown and deeper penteration.

Are you useing a water cooled torch? foot peddle? dont over do the gas.
the puddle has a tendency to follow the flow with some alloys.

A foot peddle is a great help, It lets you establish your puddle then you can lighten up on the heat for better control and dumb little things like freeze you filler wire in the puddle (while maintaining a very light arc) then you pull your hand back for more wire because you are in very cramped quaters
Parent - By Goose (**) Date 10-27-2000 03:11
I purchased a Lincoln Squarewave 174 Pro for my home/race car use. I use an air cooled "9" series torch with the foot pedal. There is no voltage adjustment, only amperage and polarity/AC adjustment. I started out with my first project with the Argon flow set @ 20. I backed it down to 12 (suggested by a friend who welds), and the bottle is lasting MUCH longer and seem to not have any more contamination problems that when it was set @ 20.

I'll take any suggestions I can get...wanne learn form the more experienced :)

That trick about the rod freezing sounds like a good idea. Don't think I have enough experience to try that yet though.

Keep the tips coming.

Thanks
Todd G
http://www.MalibuMuscle.cjb.net
Parent - By - Date 10-29-2000 14:51
Hello
Toddrod here,the one thing I can say about tig is practice,practiceand more practice.Try all kind of diferent cups,collets and base metal's,try carbon to ss.Try free hand and cup walking,Play with it.I weld steam line parts for power plants,the one thing I have found out is you never know what you'll get into......
Parent - - By - Date 11-02-2000 20:28
can you tell me how to ask a question
thanks
Parent - By Neal (*) Date 11-03-2000 22:38
Go back to screen before this one and click on "new subject"
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG Question