Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pulse TIG welding?
- - By awill4x4 (**) Date 10-29-2000 13:02
I am currently welding sprintcar chassis and components here in Australia with an OTC square wave non pulse welder which has recently developed an intermittent problem in the machine which the welding technicians seem unable to solve.
I am considering updating the machine and am wondering if a pulse TIG would be of any benefit. I need a machine up to 300 amps, AC/DC and would like to hear of any comments regarding machine quality and ease of use. We are currently thinking of Miller Syncrowave, Lincoln and OTC.
Is an inverter machine any better than transformer type? Is Pulse welding any better than non pulse?
Any comments would be much appreciated.
regards Andrew.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 10-29-2000 15:18
I should think pulse would not be of much advantage to you. The pulse shoots high energy in to pudddle then backs off to back ground current you would pretty much need to feed your wire with machine percision to make a difference. We use pulse TIG but we use a auto wire feeder with it.
We have a Powcon inverter and if you dont mind the whistle sound it makes at the arc it works fine but I prefer the Hobart Cyberwave or Miller Sycrowave. If you need to be highly mobile the inverter is the only way to go. The whistle get old pretty quick though.
Parent - By - Date 10-31-2000 13:14
I agree with RonG, you probably wouldn't get much use from a pulser. I don't use mine all that often. As far as inverters go, I have a Miller Dynasty 300DX (which is an inverter). One of the main benefits of an inverter is with AC welding. They can increase the AC frequency output (300DX is 20-250 Hz) which gives alot better arc control (less wandering), Although it's at a substantial increase in noise.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pulse TIG welding?