Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Type "B" headed studs on a composite bm.
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-06-2005 18:30
Question for the forum, but some background first...

I have read AWS D1.1:2004 Paragraph 7.4.5.
Our bent plate came in bent incorrectly with the horizontal leg over hanging the centerline by 1" of a beam flange that will get (31) 3/4" dia. studs shot down the centerline. I made a few people upset by getting the fitter to trim that extra 1" of the entire length of plate(roughly 30feet) to allow the studs to be shot in the correct location on the flange (on the centerline of the web), when they had already told the fitter to not worry with it and let it go. I don't think they liked me questioning their decision, but I wanted it done right.

Could I have let that go and still be within the requirements of paragraph 7.4.5? I was wondering how the EOR would have felt about it structurally.
John Wright
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-06-2005 18:46
You did the right thing John. As you know, 7.4.5 addresses minimum edge distances. The problem is this: If the studs are applied to the bent plate, which is usually intermittently welded to the top flange of the beam, you're in tolerance on the edge of the bent plate per 7.4.5, but the studs won't really be doing what they were intended to do. Their full strength cannot be developed unless they are welded directly to the centerline of the flange. We always instruct our detailers to back off the centerline 1" on the leg dimension, so that there is sufficient clearance for the stud base. Sounds sort of like your detailer added 1" and thus crossed over the centerline. Either that, or you gave your bend guy a vertical "keep" dimension, and he just let the other leg run long. Make your bend guy take them back and correct them, if it doesn't conflict with your delivery schedule. Either that, or keep your time and deduct it from his invoice. I doubt that any engineer will allow the studs to be applied directly to the bent plate. I always say "you never know what you can do until you ask".
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-06-2005 18:55
Actually the detailer had it correct at 1" back from centerline, our people here in purchasing, made a sketch to fax over to the people we get our bent plate from and they did not fax the correct dimns to bend by. Oh well, they've been mad at me here before, and I'm sure it won't be the last. I told them I'm not out looking for things to slow up the fitter, but he needed to trim that extra off, and that I didn't create that problem, so I don't know why he got mad at me for fixing it. :)
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-06-2005 19:47
I should have mentioned in case it wasn't clear that the studs would be shot on this beam once it was erected and the floor was ready to pour, they would not be put on in our shop.
John Wright
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-07-2005 10:04
I figured as much. It's an OSHA thing.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-09-2005 10:45
Correct, Trip Hazard.
John Wright
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 05-09-2005 14:59
I agree with Scott. You did the "Wright" thing!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Type "B" headed studs on a composite bm.