Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PIPELINER
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By BLUERANGER (*) Date 10-27-2005 05:21
IF A WELDER WANTED TO GET INVOLVED IN CROSS COUNTRY PIPE LINE WORK ,WHO, WHAT ,WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO MAKE THESE CONTACTS ?
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 10-27-2005 05:44
BLUERANGER:
Did a fast google search and found this.
http://www.pipeliner-jobs.com/
Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - - By BLUERANGER (*) Date 10-28-2005 05:40
THANK YOU. I CHECKED IT OUT, BUT THEIR LISTINGS WERE FOR HANDS. I WAS THINKING MORE RIG WELDER.

BLUE RANGER
Parent - - By thekoz (*) Date 10-31-2005 17:15
Blue Ranger,

I don't think anyone breaks into the pipeline industry just by applying and sending a resume. There are a lot of pipeline welders out there already. Pipeline welding is one of the highest paying jobs in our industry. That being said, there are a lot of people wanting to break in. The best way I know how to get in is to pay your dues in the pipeline industry. This means working as a pipeline welders helper. You may think you are beyond that, but there is always plenty to learn. No better way than to do it than learning from the pros who have been doing it for years.

Good luck

TheKoz
Parent - - By BLUERANGER (*) Date 11-01-2005 06:31
I am not looking to" break in". I have been doing industrial process piping for fifteen years . Sanitary stainless in milk processing plants to high pressure steam in paper mills. I have never had the oppurtunity to get involved in the pipeline field. I have paid my dues in the stinking filthy wet pipe racks and basements. I don't think I am above any one. It was just a question. I have friends and co-workers (AWS Members) who when asked about posting in the forum say that they don't. Reason, because they get opinions irrelevent to the questions asked. I agree.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-06-2007 02:48 Edited 07-06-2007 02:52
Say there buck, the information being passed on is good info. The pipeline business is nothing like you have ever been in. You call and call until someone gives you a test. Then you are on your own. Do you know how to lay out a 12 on 12 branch with a blue book and adding machine tape? You see it done a couple of times and wreck some perfectly good barbeque pit material and you start getting the feel for it. You roll up to the test line and the testing inspector has a rule the first five bust out on the bead. You tack up, run the bead and he looks at it and he says nope. Spool up. No reason. He dosen't have to have one. Bronc, today just isn't you day. Maybe he dosent like the fact you rolled up with a Miller or Hobart or even a diesel Lincoln. God intended for pipelines to be welded by SA 200's. Gray ones. Maybe his road wife took off with the tie in boss. If you think this is BS run the road for a little while and you will see what I mean. You need to make a couple of friends working in the business. It will cut the learning curve a bunch. Learning the in's and out's of pipelining will take a few months to a year. I test lots of welders breaking out. You have not even begun to pay your dues. Wallerin around in the stinky pipe racks and basements does not even begin to equal being drug to a tie in with a D6 pipelayer and hooking the front end with a stump and the operator just keeps pouring the coal to it. You get to the bellhole and water is four inches below the pipe, the tie in boss has three pallets and a 2 inch pump to keep the water down. And your brother-in-law drug up when he found out you were being drug to the weld and did not want to get his truck tore up. Yea this is the life.
BABRT's
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 07-06-2007 03:45
YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAW sounds like the story of my life! gotta love gettin drug around by cats and tieing in wearing chest waders and welding the bottom with the back of your head in the water! how about when the hoe hand screws up the bell hole and you have to weld one side left handed cause your body wont fit(but the  x-ray film fits quite well). We all start somewhere. have fun
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 07-07-2007 13:11
Yikes!  It sounds like a bad day on the pipeline is way worse than my worst day ever in construction or logging!  And I can't help but wonder, when the back of your head is in the water while welding the bottom....well you're gonna need a wet suit for the rest of ya.   Up-side-down in a crusher sounds better than that to me.  All thoughts of working on the pipeline have vanished from my head!
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 07-09-2007 23:27
theres no such thing as a bad day pipelining
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 07-10-2007 12:59
Nice to see a man who loves his work!
Parent - - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 07-16-2007 00:38
what about your old helper kirby?? remember him I know for a fact he caused ya a little stress!!!!
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 07-22-2007 06:29
lol, only if you call losing my tools, being slow as hell, baked out of his head, and telling him the same thing 100000000 times stressfull!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-09-2007 17:43
Nuff said Kahunna..........except, you gotta know people. More importantly, they gotta know you!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-19-2007 04:30
i'm just asking a question. i have been told that leaving a 3/32 gap in pipe and running 5p 1/8 to start at the bottom and just drag it up not walk it but stick hard and drag it and for me this works i've tried it going down and i burn through everytime on the root how would this hurt me on a test. seeing what i have read here practicing w 1/8 rod is a waste of time right i cant get any 10 or 12'' but would 6'' help? i was wondering if i did a 6g tests here at the house and sent it to you would you tell me what i'm doing wrong. also wondering what you look for in a test please understand i dont know all the codes or thier meanings so please keep this in mind and use plain english for me lol thanks in advance for your help
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-19-2007 17:47
If you are testing for pipeline 1104 you will have to run the rod downhill. And yes, someone will be looking. When running DH you are looking for a keyhole right behind the rod. You have to travel fast and slow enough to keep that keyhole open. There is a sound you are looking for like the steady ripping of a paper sack. You will be using a drag technique. When practicing, instead of putting a land on the pipe, use a knife edge bevel with minimum gap (less than 1/16") and learn how to burn in the bead. What you have is a controlled burn through (you wont do this once you get the keyhole drag down as it leads to undercut and inadequate penetration IP). Try to find someone who you can watch doing this. It is part seeing, hearing, and feeling. It is like riding a bicycle. Really hard to describe, but once you master it, it is something you dont ever forget. Keep practicing. Find someone who will let you look at them running the bead. Dont just look at the electrode, look at their hand and body position, head position and how the rod is manipulated. Work on 4 inch until you get the sound and feel down, then work on larger pipe. And always remember, when you get below 4 o'clock it is the same as welding on top, just upside down. And starting out dont worry about the 1/8 rod. Learn how to run 1/8 and 5/32 on 4 inch then once you get that down move up to the bigger rods.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-20-2007 08:54
i've been welding pipe in the oil field and know the sound you are talking about as for the 1104 i dont know what type of test yet as i've just been laid off and have to find work again and figured might as well go pipelineing and i do better on 4'' than 6'' but if all has to be run downhill i was told wrong again and these were pipeliners that told me to run the root up hmmm so many different ways its confusing on whats right but seeing you were a cwi i figured you waere my best shot thanks so much for your time and help looks like i'll be cutting coupns and practicing tomm and the rest of the week oil field is playing out in south texas thinking about heading to odessa whats your in put on that?
Parent - By JRA Date 11-03-2005 14:42
One way to get in the pipe line industry,is to search the net for pipeline contractors. You will find Mainline contractors and smaller local contractors which do mostly what you call gathering lines,Lines that range form 4"-24".These are the contractors that will give you a break to get the experience you need to go on the main lines.Just because a person has PIPE experience it doesn't necessarily make them a good pipeliner.Process piping tends to be more tig,LH uphill stick welding.Pipelining is more 5P,70plus downhill.(Mainlines use mostly automatic processes for the bead) Most pipeliners have a speciality,some are Beadhands(Root) some are hot pass hands and some,prefer to work on the firing line (fill and cap) you have to be a fast and good downhill welder.Anyway Most mainline contractors are union and it is hard to get your foot in the door unless you know someone, so try to find a more local non-union contractor to get you started,to get the experience you need. Good luck!
Parent - By kirkwood73 Date 11-20-2005 21:56
I have been working for Local Union 798 out of Tulsa, Oklahoma for 16 years now. You should try them, they always have work and are always looking for good people. Good Luck!
Parent - - By fishingrodburne (*) Date 02-18-2006 17:28
The best place in my opinion for pipeline work right now is in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. (Barnett Shale natural gas feild). I'm 28 years old and I broke out in 11/01 in the Houston area. I was a welder helper for about 4 years on pipeline jobs. When I broke out I thought it would be no time before I landed my first pipeline welding job. There's not much work in the houston area right now so all the veterans have the spots filled. That's why I move to weatherford, texas in feb 05. I've been busy since with the same outfit. They actually have some benifits. It's the best job I've ever had. It will all end when the gas is gone, but I'm going to ride it into the ground. You might call some contractors like Eagle pipeline (ft. worth) pumpco. Driver, Brown. There's more than I could list. Hope this helps
Parent - - By jfswelder (*) Date 02-24-2006 02:32
Appreciate the info but I'm really interested in the companies you mentioned. I am 27 years old and a journeyman welder for local 146 (Plummers and Steamfitters) and live in the DFW area. I've been investing on a welding rig for the past 2 years in hopes of finding work. The local has kept me busy but I'm really looking to find work out of my welding rig. Any way you could email me with a contact for Barnett Shale or the companies you mentioned in your responses so I can begin looking for work? Any help is appreciated! Email: jfswelder@yahoo.com
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 03-26-2006 03:32
you are very close to the work....from justin to decatur tx....lots of drillin rigs and plant work...lots of pipeline work...just drive the country..you will see plenty of work going on. look in and around decatur for a roust a bout companys...they will have plenty of contacts
Parent - By iveyweldingsvcs (*) Date 07-03-2007 05:38
I am interested too if anyone can help me get some contact names or numbers I would appreciate it.
Parent - - By iveyweldingsvcs (*) Date 07-03-2007 05:37
Hey would you happen to have any of those numbers handy you could pass on to me?  Appreciate it !!!
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 07-03-2007 17:28
theres a pipeline company on hwy 114 between Justin and Rhome on the south side if the hwy. They sit off the road a bit but you cant miss them. It looks like there running 30". on the south side more closer to Rhome. But like others have said there all over the place.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 07-08-2007 00:03 Edited 07-08-2007 00:08
pipeline people can be some of the biggest jerks you will ever run across in the welding business. they think because they can run a 6010 downhill their shit don't stink. God forbid you pull up to the job with a tig rig on the back of your truck. They wouldn't even talk to me, never mind I could outweld every one of them on this one job. buncha clannish jerks

On the other job the next bunch of guys took me to welding school.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-08-2007 19:41
ZCat

I am willing to believe that you could beat pipeliners in the quality of the weld deposit.  However, I find it incredible that you think you could out produce them in Joint weld deposit numbers.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 07-08-2007 20:18
just the jerky ones on that one job. On the next job I went on, a different bunch left me in the dust. :-)
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-09-2007 17:47
I usually pull my partial out before I get on the site. Scars, tattooes, and missing teeth, and a blank stare usually gain me some elbow room. The first tough guy in the crew wants to get to know me, I let 'em....haw, haw!
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 07-10-2007 02:55
you just ain't raht, Sourdough. :-)
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-10-2007 06:26
Sounds about as rough as millwright gangs..with the destroyed rigs left out.  Millwrights like to test "so called" operators out first thing in the cranes so a little bump bump and fall drives off the weak stomaches before digging in to the real work.  You see maybe 600 show up for a two or three week ...where they only need maybe 250...bout four hours into it they start culling them out...your done...your done go home etc.  Ahh the memories of throwing away denim turned so hopelessly black with steel dust that I knew it would itch the hell out of me no matter how many times I washed it.  Stumbling out of a plant after a 24 hour running a lp torch for 23 of it to the sun rising in the middle of july...Wheeeeee!

I am right next to the Infamous Bald Knobbers hometown.....well maybe I better avoid that one altogether.....I get the picture.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-11-2007 01:00
Anybody want to get into a game of last lier don't stand a chance?
BABRT's
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-20-2007 08:13
who are you working for and do they need any welders i just got laid off last week and well no time like the present to go to work
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-11-2007 15:08
Nortwest Pipe or American SpiralWeld Pipe are 2 companys that do this type work.
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 07-12-2007 13:20
Not sure if this is still the case, but in the '80s here in East Texas, whenever a drilling company was getting ready to build a new location, they would have a big event where welders would all show up and show what they could do.

There were lots of welders that passed the x-rays with a weld that looked like Poop! They would brag about how strong their welds were, but my dad (who was in charge of hiring them back then) told them he'd never hire someone that left an uglier bead than him (he was not a welder).

Basically, find a company that is drilling. Mustang Drilling, El Paso Productions, whoever. Talk to them and find out when they are having their next welding tests, then just show up with your rig!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-12-2007 18:39
The easiest test to pass is an exray..................
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 07-13-2007 00:40
I hear ugly shoots, too.
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 07-13-2007 10:31
I am triing to get into the union nothing...  and in have been asking around to get someone to show me how to take the welding tests and i havent had no luck with it yet...  I have a degree in welding and 10 tens in and out of shop welding with experiance in vessel to drilling rigs and now i a going to have to spend 5 years being a helper again like i was in my 20's.... I want to learn but i just dont have the experience to do pipeline welding .....HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-13-2007 23:20
Cole,
Pipeline test will require a 12 on 12 butt in 5G with a 12 on 12 branch. Beg borrow or steal some 10 or 12 inch pipe. Run your bead, hot pass and if allowed a hot fill with 5/32. Grind your stops and starts. On the test, the inspector will usually look at the bead before the hot pass. Some will look after the hot pass. But, any IP and you spool up. Test is over. You go home. Some inspectors will not allow any undercut. This is pretty easy to pass on X42 but you get X60 and above running 70+ reverse, you better watch your travel speed and keep it slow or you will wind up with undercut. Some of the more enlightened pipeline companies allow the bead to be run straight on high grade pipe to lessen the chance of UC. But they watch the travel speed as you can race horse on the bead running straight.
The next hurdle will be the 12 on 12 branch. Bo to a welding supply shop and have them order you a Graves Blue Book. It will give you all the measurements for laying out a branch on different schedules of pipe. The most common you will see on pipeline test will be 0.375 wall. You will have to lay out, cut and fit the branch then cut out the hole in the carrier pipe and weld it up. Any IP and buck, it aint your day. Spool up, test over. Also, on a test Arc Burns can cause an immediate bust, sometimes. Ask the test inspector. This is up to him/her. On the job, on DOT regulated lines or new lays, it is a cut-out. Usually two and you get asked to leave (run off). If you know a pipeline welder who can show you how to lay out, fit and tack up the branch, the weld is just an endurance test. Most pipeline companies require a bead and hot pass with 5/23 and 3/16 on the fill. Depending on the inspector some will let you cap out with a 5/32. Also find out if there are time limits on the test. When I test welders it is 30 minutes on the butt after tack up approval and three hours on the branch after tack up approval. The butt and branch test will take a full day for most welders.
If you do not have a buddy in the business, hire out as a helper until you see a couple of test. If you have been doing this for a while, you should figgure it out pretty quick. The rest of it is just getting hired. And that is another thread.
Good Luck
BABRt's  
Parent - - By coalsmoke (*) Date 08-06-2007 18:53
big kahunna, is IP another way of saying porosity? I ordered the Pipefitters Handbook by F. Lindsey to learn some of these fitting tricks. It looks to be a pretty complete book, but learning it is one thing, doing it right is a whole nother ball of wax.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-07-2007 02:45
IP is inadequate penetration
BABRT's
Parent - By coalsmoke (*) Date 08-07-2007 07:52
thanks
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-20-2007 08:17
30 mins on the butt how many passes is that i'm guessing 3
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 07-13-2007 23:32
Personally I think UT is easiest to pass on big inch, seems they only catch the bead defects and if the cap passes the visual you're good to go. If a weld is x-rayed it's up to the guy in the cancer truck if you pass or not.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-16-2007 14:32
The thicker the wall the more accurate the inspection. This is most likely why you feel UT is easiest. it is more likely that signals caused by geometry are being rejected on the thinner wall.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-07-2007 14:30
Man pipe line work is cake compared to pipe welding on your big industry jobs been there done it.  Blueranger i feel ya brotha, and i know what kind of welding goes on up in those piperacks and boiler rooms.  I know pipeline welding would be cake for ya, and doing things the way those guys do things might take a little getting used to is all thekoz was trying to imply i think just like any new job.  I don't see how those pipeline guys are so cocky, but hey i respect all welders and the things they go through to bring the bread home.  Pipe line work= easy money if you don't mind getting dirty, but it's the being away from the family and going hotel to motel that makes it tuff.  Takes a special state of mind to be a pipeliner, but the cash flow helps keep you in that state of mind.;-)  You shouldn't get a bad taste in your mouth from this forum over one thread.  There is so much to actaully be learned on here it's crazy!!!!!  There are some guys on here that can type you through any question about welding you can think of.  Lots of helpfull ideas are at hand also.  Any who Good Luck to ya with becomeing a pipeliner.
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 08-08-2007 00:22
well how bout that
Parent - By Cole Welding (**) Date 08-08-2007 12:30
I am learning how to pass the tests and it not as easy as it looks
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 08-09-2007 23:18
if you know so much you should know when to keep your opinions to yourself.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-10-2007 14:14
Man no need to get all emotional brotha.  I was just telling Blueranger i know he doesn't need to be a welders helper to weld on a pipeline and you guys allready told him he has to find some good connections so what he really needs is a bit of luck.  Don't worry man i don't think there is going to be a mad rush of people wanting to become pipeliners and take all your work because of that post.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-15-2007 17:05
PPL.......guess what that stands for?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PIPELINER
1 2 Previous Next