Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Mobile Welding Unit
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-24-2006 03:23 Edited 08-24-2006 11:50
I decided to post this topic on this board for any of the new and/or other recent start-up welders who may be considering incorporating a mobile unit within their welding operations. Since I do what I call "hobby" welding, the majority of my operation is fabrication, general welding and repairs, and production design. This unit was set up to be able to manuever in tight areas and rural areas. The trailer is 5X8 and quite easy to get into small driveways and turn around with minimal effort. In addition, my fuel economy is good since I am just towing and not hauling onboard a lot of weight. Please keep in mind though that I am not into pipelining, large construction equipment, or large structural welding. This is simply a general welding unit for those who want to go mobile to do "lighter" type of welding and/or repairs. I fabricated everything to carry my equipment with aluminum to keep weight down and have some extra material weight to carry. I have a MIG for steel, MIG for alum., Plasma cutter, oxy/acet., air compressor, 6.75KW generator, full complementation of tools, grinding/cutting wheels & discs, 2 welding helmets, 50' air line, 50' #10 extension w/ 2 outlets, alum. welding cart on wheels, full set of welding clamps & C-clamps, mountable vise, and 2'X3' folding welding table, and extra spools of welding wire.

I just want to share my ideas with anyone who may be considering going mobile and want to be able to start up with a reasonable unit that is not too expensive, yet will be efficient. Again, this is not a unit for large commercial jobs. See attached photos on Photobucket:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF179.jpg[/img]

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF180.jpg[/img]

Feel free to ask any questions.....Denny
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-24-2006 18:38 Edited 08-24-2006 18:44
I tried to edit the photo address without success. Go to:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/welding/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0179.jpg[/img]

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/welding/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0180.jpg[/img]

Hope this works...Denny
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-24-2006 19:21
Parent - By Cgregory (**) Date 08-24-2006 19:30
This time I can see them.
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 09-07-2006 19:09
Where is your oxy/acetylene torch?  Or, did you go completely Plasma Cutter?
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 09-08-2006 00:38
Hi jp2,
The oxy-acet. equip. is in the grey case on the bottom of the welding cart. If you click on the photo, it will enlarge so you can see everything better. The tanks, (2) C10, (1)Argon, (1) Oxy, and (1)Acet. are locked in place behind the compressor and cannot be seen on the photo. All my tanks in the mobile unit are 80CF tanks. I could not be without an Oxy-Acet. torch for all the different applications I do such as silver-soldering, brazing, general heating, and diecast welding. Thanks for the inquiry...hope that cleared up my equip. setup......Denny
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 09-08-2006 14:20
Ok, I see that now.

Your setup is a lot more professional than mine!  Take a look:

http://www.poojo.com/weld01/06-29-2006as.jpg
http://www.poojo.com/weld01/06-29-2006bs.jpg
http://www.poojo.com/weld01/06-29-2006cs.jpg
http://www.poojo.com/weld01/06-29-2006ds.jpg

My grinders, torches, hoses, electrodes, cables, hood, a few tools, and gloves are all squeezed into that little box.

The trailer is very top heavy, and I'm currently building a new one that is more substantial.  There are pics of it in the same weld01 folder, so you can surf there if you'd like to see my progress on my new trailer.

I was a welder in the Marines from '88 to '92, then used my GI Bill to go to college.  I'm stuck behind a desk now, and recently bought the little Ranger 8 for hobby welding.  I quickly learned that people will gladly pay me to come out and patch or build for them, and I haven't even advertised anywhere!

Regards,
Joe
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-08-2006 14:42
JP

I like your little setup.   A more substantial trailer will make it even better!

Every time I think of building a mobil unit or even getting my garage tooled up, I stop and think about how much I enjoy my weekends and how my life will change when folks find out I have welding gear at home.

Still I dream about having a Dynasty and a 350P in the garage........ Oh .... and a big compressor... I hate my little noisy compressor that cant run a die grinder for more than 20 seconds.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 09-09-2006 03:39
Hey Lawrence,
Here's some food for thought. How about a compromise since you also love your weekends... just dedicate 2 hours on the weekend to do some misc. welding work, put the proceeds in a cigar box, and then after a while open the cigar box and see which unit you want to buy first. My cigar box bought all my equipment and trailer in less than 1 year. My compromise was 2 hrs. in the evening and 4 hrs. on Sat.. Make your rules and be firm with YOUR time off.......Denny
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 09-09-2006 00:28
Hey Joe,
You have a good start on going mobile. I can only offer some suggestions that may help you in the long run, especially when you run into the unexpected. Listen, don't think you're going too big.....no matter what size you finally decide on, sometimes you say..."wish I'd have gone a bit bigger". There are some neat tricks I learned and I will add them on the Photobucket site so they may give you some ideas. I'll take some more photos tomorrow and post them with the header "MOBILE ADD ONS" on this forum so you can see what I did to solve what I needed if a situation arises. Try this...the next time you sit down with a hot cup of coffee, just think about any kind of job that may come in by phone and if you would be prepared to go mobile and do it. Think about the craziest types of welding you may encounter and if you were there on location....could you do it???

BTW...because most people are not too keen on giving precise directions, I put a Garmin GPS unit in my truck......wow does it save time not gettin' lost!!!!

This is definitely a fascinating arena to be sure. If you have any questions, please ask....Denny
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-09-2006 10:10
I once got a set of directions with all the rights and lefts reversed.  I don't know what made me think to try them backward but when I did they worked fine.  GPS would have been nice but it didn't exist yet.
Bill
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 09-09-2006 15:37
Hi Joe,
Just gonna add some more food for thought for you. Probably one of the most important areas in going mobile will be you fees. Every operation that offers home/location service has a set fee and it will vary according to geographical area. Check around to the appliance, plumbing, electrical services offered in your area and see what their service calls cost. This will give you a fair idea. In my area of SW PA, I charge a flat $45 service fee within a 30 mi. radius, and $1/mile over that. It has been good with no complaints and the GPS really helps to show a customer how far I traveled to their location. Next, set your hourly rate....you are entitled to make a profit and cannot succeed without that profit. Here, I set my rate at $25/hr with a min. charge of 1 hr since I have time to unload eq. and load it back up after the job, even if the job only takes 15 min. Do yourself a favor and NEVER negotiate your fees....if someone does not like it, simply suggest to them to go "shopping"..... they will find out.

Next, think about equipment that may be necessary. I have an air drill, 4" angle air grinder, air ratchets 3/8" & 1/2", 1/2" elec. impact gun & sockets for those stubborn nuts & bolts, 6 lg. & 6 sm. arrow magnets, 12 welding clamps and 12 C-clamps of various sizes, 12" combination sq. and 36" square, 4 sizes of channel-locks, 4 sizes of crescent wrenches, adjustable pipe clamp, WD-40 and PB Blaster for rusty bolts/nuts, and 6 cans of grey primer to keep the welded repair from rusting. Customers like that. If you get an air compressor, 20 gal. tank is a minimum, and I like the vertical as it's space saving. Hey, you don't have to have all the eq. right away....get the items as you are able. Let your welding profits buy your necessities.

Lastly, you can do some minimul advertising with a short "reader" ad...."Welding/Repairs, fabrication, mobile unit, PH-... ... .....". Get a simple business card program and print your own cards and pass them out generously.

OK....enough food for now...try to digest.....Denny
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 09-10-2006 03:44
Good ideas Denny.

Currently, I've got my price set to the price of gasoline: If gas is $2.50/gallon, I charge $25/hr; if gas is $3.00/gallon, I charge $30/hr.  That way my customers don't complain too much when my rates go up, because they know I am mobile and that I work on gasoline.

I've been hashing out some business card ideas with the wife, and the local "American Classifieds" seems like a great spot to get the word out for very little.

Also, I've been working on a larger rig, starting with the trailer.  Tell me what you think:

Picture 1 (small): http://www.poojo.com/weld01/P1000557s.JPG
Picture 1 (full size): http://www.poojo.com/weld01/P1000557.JPG

Picture 2 (small): http://www.poojo.com/weld01/P1000558s.JPG
Picture 2 (full size): http://www.poojo.com/weld01/P1000558.JPG

Picture 3 (small): http://www.poojo.com/weld01/P1000559s.JPG
Picture 3 (full size): http://www.poojo.com/weld01/P1000559.JPG

The trailer floor is 3/8-inch plate that I picked up from the local scrap iron yard.  But the frame I had to buy, and it is made of angle iron, also 3/8-inch thick by 3x3.  The axle is a 3500-lb TorFlex with 15" wheels.

Hopefully, once this trailer is all set up, I won't have to worry about the "top heavy" trailer any longer.

Regards.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 09-10-2006 13:41
Hey Joe,
Looks like you have a good start. I will offer some more suggestions to keep you from potential problems "down the road" so to speak. Although your frame is 3" X 3/8" angle, I would reinforce the frame rails on the tongue area and add cross braces to give you some additional rigidity. You will find that with the weight you will carry, there will be some flex as your trailer moves down the road, especially with any significant bumps. I even added (2) 3"W X 1/4"Thk. steel C-channel cross braces on the tongue rails on my trailer.

Yes, do some advertising and every jobsite you go to, pass out several cards to those customers and ask them to recommend you. Your success will will be dependent on one main factor: QUALITY. My pap taught me many years ago that the quality of your workmanship will make you or break you. I also never do a job that I am not knowledgeable to do or do not have the proper equip. to do that job.

I posted some more photos on this forum under the topic: MOBILE ADD ONS. Just a couple more ideas you may want to consider......Denny

Hey willie,
I have those adjustable stands. I made them with 1 1/2" sq. tubing OD and 1 1/4" ID and will adj. to a height of 60". The ones in the trailer (2) are aluminum and the ones in my home shop (4) are steel. They are most handy.
Parent - - By shadowelds (*) Date 10-04-2006 04:16
your working to cheap i live in podunk iowa and get 70/hr all day long
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-04-2006 23:48
Hey shadow,
I guess "cheap" would appear so to those who make 70/hr. I will maintain that geographical area will definitely dictate the rate one can charge and make a profit. Here in SW PA, wages are lower than most states and all industries pay a lower wage here and unfortunately if you're not good at what you do, you can't even make that. I've seen and been called to many welding positions that offer 10/hr to start, and the employer simply says: "Take it or leave it...I can find someone who will gladly take it". It is the job market here in this area and, yes, labor rates are below most areas. There are 50 welding shops in this area I live within 25 miles and they are all busy. Their rates are from 45-60/hr in shop and 60-85/hr going mobile. Since I do what I classify as "hobby" welding, I don't do paperwork, collect taxes, or have a registered "business name" and instead work on a "cash-only" basis. I have my service call rate and hourly rate I set so I can make a nice profit and offer a cost-effective service that is very competitive and maintain very happy customers who really get me a lot of additional business thru referrals. I do 2-3 jobs a day for 4 or 5 days both at my home shop and my mobile unit and it works quite nicely and very profitable.

I hope your work and endeavour flourishes and you can continue to get your rate. Once competition starts in your area, and the "nickel-dimers" cut your throat, you'll have to be competitive by reducing your rate or simply move to another area where there are no welders. It's as simple as that. Good luck....Denny
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-05-2006 11:48
Denny,
We don't see those kinds of wages around here either...
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 10-05-2006 13:27
there are plenty of welders in the nw getting those rates
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-06-2006 17:37
Hi John. We're getting anywhere from 75-95, doing production and rig work on the western slope. Our residential work is still at the norm. The oilfield has broke wide open since 9-11, and highschool drop-outs like me are making good money. It is true that rates are much higher over here, but the cost of living is rediculous as a result. A guy could go just about anywhere in the nation and buy realestate for half the price than right here. Fuel is close to 4 bucks a gallon. I think it all works out in the wash, to tell you the truth. When we go over our profits and losses, we are actually taking it in the shorts in a bad month. Luckily, there are no shortages in hours in the oilfield. That is our saving grace. Just figured I would let everyone know the story here on the western slope.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-06-2006 17:50 Edited 10-06-2006 17:54
Yeah you're right, yorkiepap. We are having a hard time with guys coming here from everywhere and driving the rate down. When I came to this end of the country 5 yrs ago I ran day and night, till I fell into a coma for a day or two. Our first year, our net was more than I had made the previous 5 years put together. Now, I spend a lot more time doing PR than I ever had to. Fortunately there is still enough work to go around, but we are definately looking for contracts elsewhere as well. Please believe, if I get something that will take me out of this rat-race, cutthroat world I'm living in now, I'm there in a second. Even if I have to work for 10 or 15 bucks less.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 10-18-2006 04:58
hey sourdough , e-mail snail mail address and i'll send some info on the stands . i can't get your e-mail address to work from here . your message came thru but can' get one back to you . this is still a busy time for me but should slow up soon . willie
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-18-2006 22:17
Willie, by the way I am from Chugiak AK, born and raised
Parent - - By norcalwelder (**) Date 10-26-2006 18:34
Hey, what size are your tanks?
Thanks, Tim
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 10-26-2006 18:48
Me, Tim?

Shoot. They aren't here in front of me, but I think my O2 is about 9.5-inch diameter by 45-inches or so tall. The acetylene tank is smaller at about 8-inch diameter, and roughly 3-foot tall.

You know, during the course of building my trailer, I have measured those two bottles over and over. You'd think I'd have the darned measurements memorized by now!

I need to get a few pics with the welder sitting on top, but here is a site with a slew of pics that I took while building my trailer:
http://www.poojo.com/weld01/
Parent - - By norcalwelder (**) Date 10-26-2006 21:40
Nice photos. I was referring to the cubic foot capasity of the tanks. How much did the big trailer cost to build?
Tim
Parent - By jp2welder (**) Date 10-26-2006 21:51
Not sure about the cubic feet. 2*pi*Height, right? :)

On the trailer, I spent about $400 on the iron. The 3/8-inch plate came from a scrap yard for $0.20/lb., but the rest of the iron I bought outright. The Dexter TorFlex 3500 lb capacity axle ran $135, delivered. Wheels came from the scrap yard, and the tires were take-offs at the tire store.

Now, I only had spare time to build it in, so it took me about a month and a half to get all those parts glued together.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 09-09-2006 15:54
denny , i don't see a set of pipe stands i make then in spare time . e-mail a snail address and i will send pictures and demensions  when i'm not as busy . you can make them easily and they break down to about 16" long so don't take much space fits in small box you can get them thru bulkheads or on small planes they are handy for hand rails . willie 
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 09-15-2006 16:57
Hey Yorkiepap! Nice rig.I have a question...I do kinda what you do as in I'm a moonlighter welder.I have portable capability with Gas/Plasma?Mig/and/Arc.As well as all the grinders/clamps/everything/etc.The trouble I have is actually getting buisness!I live in So.Ca.(which I hate),but I am handcuffed to my job at Boeing in Long Beach.For now anyway.I will be moving to just outside of Springfield Mo. in about 1 1/2 years.Is it easier to get work in the more rural areas? There are SO many welders here its a joke.What kinds of jobs are your primary?Ag/Tractor/Farm type stuf? I'm hoping there's a better call for mobile welders in Mo.We have so many guys bidding on the same gate,or fence or whatever that its just rediculous.Even with advertising you have a hard time getting work at any distance because there are so many welders in close proxcimity(sic)? to wherever the job may be located.I make stuff for our church and mast of my side buisness is on tractor trailer guys rigs etc.The transfer trucks get real banged up.But it wouldnt be anywhere near enough work to eek out a living.Well.I been rambling enough.Let me know what you think and anyone else too that might have some input.Thanks....Keep the metal flowin boys!!!
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 09-15-2006 20:16
Hey M/M,
Thanks. OK, let me see if I can give you some ideas and food for thought. I do know what you mean when you say an area is flooded with others who also are trying to make a buck. When I was a Master Gunsmith and had a very nice business, seemed everyone wanted to be a 'smith and open a shop. Nickel-dimers who cut rates, did half-a**ed work, and only ended up going under after 6 months.

I feel that work is available in both city & rural areas, but geographical area does make a difference. For now, maybe give some thought to specialty welding and specialty items you can sell on the side. I have attached some photos to show you what I produce on the side that really enhances my profitability.
SUGGESTIONS:
(1) Look into some of the auto shops, especially those who restore the classics. A lot of welders shy away from the thin sheetmetal in autos. Good money there as I have a customer who recommended me to some other classic buffs and they keep me occupied on occasion.
(2) Check some of the motorcycle shops and see if they need anything done. If you're set up for aluminum, you'll get work. I have 3 motorcycle shops I do work for....also good money.
(3) Also, with aluminum....check with the Fire Depts.. there is a firefighter I work with and he asked me to make some diamondplate items for their equip. on their trucks. WOW did the word get out!!! I do cut them a handsome break because of what they do for all of us, and make a smaller profit....but still a profit. And they recommend me to all they know for work someone may need.
(4) The other area I do well in is custom made patio items and yard items. Especially different size tables with unique table tops. Marble is the most expensive, and most of the tops I use are slate and imitation marble. I found the best tables are those that will withstand the weather and rain. In addition, I found an auction barn business that sells on consignment. I took a couple items there, told them what I had to have, and they could mark up to what they felt they needed for a profit margin.

Fire Dept. barrel battle pulley assembly....also can be used for other applications:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0018.jpg

Aluminum cargo carrier with flag mounts for trike motorcycles:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0162.jpg

Lawn flower pot holder:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0166.jpg

Patio table...larger one with marble top (my mom's):
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0167.jpg

Ok...here's something else I do once a month. I hook up my trailer and take a ride thru some of the housing plans around here. I drive slowly and look at the area and type of houses and cars in the driveways....hmmmm...get the idea. I've always had someone stop me and ask me what I do. Sometimes I just pretend I'm lost looking for a customer. Sometimes, I stop at the Dunkin' Donut shop, or the local restaurant, park in a well viewed area, and go have some coffee or lunch. AND!!!! Most importantly....have plenty of cards available. I also take my welding album with me to show photos. One thing is an absolute: QUALITY WORK SELLS!!!! Always do first class work.

Anyway M/M, just think about different applications you may want to do or try. Never know...Good Luck......Denny
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 09-15-2006 21:42
Thanks for the advice.Good luck with your buisness.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-15-2006 22:48
Hello yorkiepap, great suggestions for anyone in that type of situation and super suggestions for ways to drum-up interest and gain new clients and work. Just from listening and looking in on your thread here I can see that you likely don't have a lot of free time or should I say you choose not to. Great job and regards, aevald
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 09-16-2006 00:09
Hi Allan,
Thank you sincerely for your comments. I really like this forum and hope I can help another succeed or solve a problem. Seems today, many won't offer to help or offer easy solutions because of insecurity that someone may take work away from them. Tsk...Tsk...Tsk.

I will tell you I do make the time for myself...I'm a hardcore biker and I need my time in the saddle. I just dedicate a certain number of hours to each pleasure. Since I only work parttime now (at my employer), I do quite nicely managing my time and being able to take my "R & R" when needed.

You know, Allan, I learned how to hustle work from my pap. He said there is always work if one wants to find it..... In addition, I like to create....try different applications & projects. Some sell...some don't. It's fun though.......Denny
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-07-2006 18:11
Howdy Molten. If you are looking for handrail/gate type stuff, you will have to move to an area with high end homes and what not. I know I have been crying about the cost of living here near Aspen, but the bids we have gotten here will put my boy thru college, (unless he turns out like me)! In that case he will be a stubborn man that loves to get dirty! Good to meet ya!!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-06-2006 18:08 Edited 10-06-2006 18:11
Yorkiepap : Well, it may not be the best set-up in the world, but here's what I did; I set my 305 ranger sideways against my cab, made low profile oxygen bottle racks to sit low in the bed, and strapped my acetylene bottles behind my machine to keep them nice and warm. As for a tool box, I incorporated a 6 ft box into the receiver hitch, and put all my reels on top of that. Pretty much everything I need in the field fits in it. I put most of my hand tools in ammo boxes, (that happened to fit perfectly in my box). The only time I Need to reach into my bed is for my jackstands and to turn my oxygen bottles on. I do alot of production and pipe welding, so I needed a quick spool-out system. I also wanted to get away from my truck when I was arcin' and sparkin'. With everything combined, I am still under 1500 lbs gross in the back of my pick-up. I think the set- up is pretty cool. I might have to ask my friend John Wright to help me out one more time to get you a picture of it.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-07-2006 13:40
Hey Sourdough,
Sounds like you have your setup good-to-go for your type of work. You know, it doesn't take a lot of brain power to just look at all the applications you may encounter and if your rig is equipped and ready to perform them. Mostly I just try to think of some unusual quirky job that may arise, and could I do it. Since all my welding is general repair & fabrication, and usually 1/2" or less, I can do almost anything at the home shop and mobile with my equipment.

I enjoy hearing about the different types and styles of mobile rigs the guys here have and use. I feel that as we post our ideas and systems, others will be able to consider going mobile or using anothers' techniques to improve their service.

Hey bro'......PICTURES!!!  Com'on....let's see them.......Denny
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-07-2006 17:24
Well, John Wright tried to talk me thru the photobucket thing, but I'm too thick to get it right. Maybe you could explain so I understand what to do.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-08-2006 03:53 Edited 10-08-2006 03:57
Hey SD,
Thanks for the photos you sent and your compliment on my rig. You look like you have a great setup for your type of work and I like the way you incorporated your storage on your hitch. It's really great that the guys here like to share their ideas, rigs, and applications they find the most beneficial to their working environment. OK, SD, let's see if I can guide you thru Photobucket like John Wright guided me and got me up and runnin'......

1.) Go to the Photobucket site: www.photobucket.com and register a username and password. You will see a window on the right side that has the UPLOAD section. In this box, you will see at the bottom "additional or more photos" and click on it. It will expand the number of photo entries to any amount you need. Each rectangular box will have a BROWSE button. Click on it. This will allow you to go to your Drive, Folder, and File. Then when you find the photo you want to post, double click on the file/photo number and it will appear in the rectangular box. Then go down to the next rectangular box, click on the BROWSE button and do the same.

2.) After you have clicked all the photos you want to upload, go to the bottom right of the box and click on the UPLOAD button. Then it will take a few minutes for your files to upload and you will see them on the lower part of the page. When you look at the photo box, you will see 3 more rectangular boxes with a code on the left side. you want to look at the img box at the listed location. It will look just like the ones John Wright posted for you. These are the site item locators to get to each of your photo images. Each file locator will have an ending line that is your photo ID or photo number...such as "DSCF0001.jpg". Remember, you must have a .jpg at the end of each photo file to be identified as photo. If you have to, go to some previous posts and look at how the listings are typed. This is exactly how it appears in the img box on the bottom of your photo box.

OK, maybe just try one for a start to see if you can get a feel of doing it. I had to do it at least 6 times before I got the hang of it. If your wife is good with the computer, I'm sure she will figure it out for you. Let us know how you make out.....GOOD LUCK........Denny
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-09-2006 10:35
Denny,
I feel the need to add one more thing....regarding the file size of the pics....Photobucket limits you on the free pic hosting to something like 250k for the size of each pic, so if you have a nice digital camera, your files sizes can be quite large. You'll either have to resize them in the camera or resize them using software. There is a free software(gotta love this free stuff) available for down load at http://www.Irfanview.com and you can open the picture in that software and under Images you can select resize/resample and choose 800x600 and it will most likely be the right size to upload to Photobucket and when someone opens the pic after you post it, it will fit on their screen pretty nicely. if someone needs additional help with this, just let me know......Good luck resizing your pics!
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-10-2006 00:13
Hey John,
Yes, I forgot to mention that to SD. Myself, I always shoot in low resolution (1M) since that's the lowest setting I have. It seems to be ok for Photobucket and the photos I e-mail. I do have software to reduce photo sizes. Thanks for the reminder.......Denny
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-10-2006 11:15
Just thought I would mention the free stuff...just in case(have I mentioned that I like the free stuff? :-) )
Parent - - By rockjeep Date 10-11-2006 20:55
Why are most of you guys running trailer set-ups as opposed to a flatbed truck. It seems like a trailer would be a hassle sometimes and not as efficient. I'm trying to get into the mobile welding business any advice about starting up would be appreciated too.

thanks Mike
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-11-2006 22:49
Hello Rockjeep, I believe the best answer to your question would be one of personal preference as well as whether you have covered storage of the truck when not in use, also theft protection of your tools when you are not using them. For some folks who might not have a nice big garage or shop to park their vehicles in, the trailer is probably the ticket. For others who plan on making a steady diet out of field work, the truck mounted set-up probably makes more sense or as you are probably thinking makes getting into rough spots easier with only the truck to worry about. In many instances I'm sure that money enters into the picture, if you can find a dependable truck for reasonable money, it makes sense to start there. A trailer might be the ticket if a person already has one that they possibily already have for other purposes and then they decide to put it to use for welding/fabrication purposes or they like the idea of the security aspect of being able to lock everything up in a reasonably secure environment. There will obviously be pros and cons to either of these approaches to setting up, you should consider which one best suits your needs and current situation. Best of luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-11-2006 22:55
Hey rockjeep,
I wouldn't say initially that most of "us guys" are running a trailer rather than a flatbed truck. I believe that we each prefer a type of setup that is most conducive, economical and addresses our own specific requirements to be efficient and profitable. You will find those welders who do pipeline, construction, rigging, and heavy equipment work prefer the flatbed truck setup as it is the most efficient, and those such as myself find the trailer setup easier for general repairs, light fabrication and the ability to equip a bit more reasonably costwise. I would only suggest to really look at the type of welding you want to engage in and see what would serve you needs the best. Myself, I like to be able to come home, unhook and park my rig, and use my truck for other needs. In addition, it is much more economical with fuel usage. Anyway, you can see by some of the posts what the guys like for their welding needs. Good luck on your decision and let us know what you feel works for you......Denny
Parent - - By rockjeep Date 10-12-2006 03:02
Yorkiepap,
Where does most of your work come from, general repairs, fences, gates, handrails? I live in a fast growing commmunity with all sorts of construction booming and driving around with a trailer in traffic would be a nightmare and more risky. I currently own a dodge d350 dually that would be a perfect flatbed candidate, thats why I was leaning toward the truck idea. But I do see where your coming from. Also which welder/generator unit seems to work the best for the price. Diesel units are a bit costly, I'm liking the Miller Trailblazer 302. For you guys in California do you have a specialty contractors license for welding or just a business license?

thanks
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-13-2006 01:53
Hey rockjeep,
I can only say that my work actually comes from every facet of industry and home. I do every type of repair from railing (repair & replacement & new), smaller construction equipment, a tremendous amount of work from the landscaper crews who play hell with their employers' equip., some motorcycle shops, the fire departments, and the items I create and sell thru different outlets. If you have a truck, then go ahead and set it up and see if it fits your needs. The other facet of a trailer I like is I have a separate generator and simply load the welder I will use on a particular job on an aluminum cart so I can wheel it where needed. You would have to check with the guys here who have the larger Lincoln & Miller gen/welders such as the Model 200's that most seem to prefer. I know they could answer any question. Diesels are more cost effective and will run longer.

Hope I helped you think about what would serve your needs the best for you. You may want to post your own question here as a new topic and listen to the most fruitful responses you'll get anywhere. Good luck......Denny
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-26-2006 23:25
The miller 302g is a great machine. I don't know which I like better, my 302g or 305d lincoln.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 10-30-2007 21:39 Edited 10-30-2007 21:42
Try running some tig stringers with that 302 also....Itll blow your mind how smooth it is!Pretty darn good fuel economy for a gas machine too. I absolutely love mine.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-31-2007 03:19
A friend of Mine has a 301, which I guess is pretty similar. I am impressed that He can run a 7.5 HP industrial compressor with the Aux. power. The weld output is 120 hz. 3 phase [rectified for DC], that is why it is so smooth for an alternator.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-12-2006 04:11
The trailer can be left on remote locations where you are going to be working for a while. Unhook and haul a**! Also you don't have 6k on your truck all the time. Only set back is getting stuck in the mud or snow.
Parent - - By jerryf1956 Date 10-26-2007 23:56
My husband has welded for another company for 10 years. And is well trained in welding techniques. However, we moved over an hour away from his "job" and they were not the greatest company to work for anyway. Very late hours, for very unfair money. So he decided to try being a mobile welder on his own. He does an excellent job. And is a perfectionist. He makes sure the weld is good looking as well as functional. And has good work ethics, doing a good job for a fair price. Problem is, this is a prime area for this type work. Lots of farms, and construction, paving, and excavation companies.  How did you get the word around to the people you were targeting? What mode did you use to get your services out there. He has set up a truely great, and proffessional welding shop up in a 7x12 trailer. And has advertised in several newspapers local to us. I also have sent out flyers to local buisnesses and farms. It has not been long. So, I am not very discouraged. But I believe my husband is nervous. How did you get the news of your venture out? ferraca5@aol.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Mobile Welding Unit
1 2 Previous Next