Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding of copper with 40% silver
- - By syda (*) Date 07-11-2008 10:22
Hellow,
I am Sydney. This job is related to one of the power house in Sri Lanka. There are two copper strips (4 m.m. th.x 25 m.m. width x 40 m.m. length) to be welded using 40% silver (process T.I.G.) They are unaware of welding technic. According me the welding machine should have AC option. But they have done with DC. and also please advice the aprox.tempareture to heat when stert welding and interpass temp.too.
Best Regards,
Sysney
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 07-11-2008 13:45
There are copper filler metals available for welding copper.

Whats the application..Are these electrical contact bars?

Is your base metal pure copper, or some bronze alloy like copper-zinc alloy, or maybe a copper-tin alloy, copper-aluminum, copper-nickle, etc.

A 40% silver filler material sounds more like a brazing than a welding mat'l.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-11-2008 14:00
This sounds more like a braze process than a weld.  It is possible to braze with TIG.
Parent - - By syda (*) Date 07-12-2008 02:42
Thanx for the reply. Yes it is a electrical contact bar. But I am unaware of the material. Is it possible to weld with T.I.G. (DC Option) When we weld the filler metal is not fucing as usual. I think the patent matal was over heated by us. Is there any standed tempareture for bonding ?
Best Regards,
Sydney
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-12-2008 03:44
Sydney: There is a brazing & soldering section further down in "PROCESSES". If You post this question there You might get a rteply from someone who doesn't read this section.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding of copper with 40% silver