Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.3
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2002 19:22
I was asked to help a fabricator here in town and qualify some of his welders to D1.3 so he could spread deck and shoot studs.

Which of the tests would this guy need his welders to take? I sure wouldn't want to give all those listed plus different positions in each. Which ones would be of most use to him? I am assuming he'll use SMAW only.
Need alittle help with something I'm not familiar with,
John Wright
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 12-11-2002 22:15
Hey again John,
You mentioned shooting studs and SMAW in the same post. It's going to be really friggin slow if he's SMAW studs on decking unless theres just a few.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2002 12:08
DGXL,
I'm hoping he has a stud gun to shoot those studs, or it will be a long day for somebody. He was concerned about getting his guys up to speed with D1.3. I wasn't familiar with any of the weld tests, so I wasn't sure which of those in the book would be most useful for him. I figured the square groove butt - sheet to sheet, arc seam or arc spot - sheet to supporting member, fillet lap joint - sheet to sheet, fillet lap - sheet to supporting member,would probably be used the most, but Hey, I don't lay deck, so I didn't know.
I see that there are no prequalified joints, all procedures have to be qualified, What a bummer. It looks like there will have to be a procedure for each gauge of deck also, wait, they have a test to cover complete range of gauges.
I've got some reading to do, catch ya later,
John Wright
PS
Any advice? on this
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-16-2002 13:45
John:
The "norm" here (CA) typically is 1/2" dia. puddle (arc) spot on single/double ply to supporting structural member. Yes I know the minimum dia. is 3/8". Torsion testing for these. 2 specimens required from the welder. Don't forget those PQR's. The longitudinal welding of sheet to sheet is mitigated by mechanical fastening (button punching) which is much faster than welding. Weld washers required if sheet is <0.028". Studs are shot (or fillet welded) per D1.1.

Design would dictate specifically which tests would be required. I only noted standard practice here.
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 12-16-2002 13:49
D1.3 is kind of tricky depending on what you are testing to. READ THE ESSENTIAL VARIABLES CLOSELY. For arc spot welds (what is most commonly used) you pretty much have to test on each material thickness, single and double sheet. A WPS is required for each thickness. Also note that arc spot welds are permitted in the flat position only. Some roof pitches exceed the 15-degree maximum. It is not uncommon for a welder to have 5-6 qualifications for welding deck.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-17-2002 15:51
Laying deck seems to be fussier than structural with all the qualifying and what not. I'm reading up on D1.3, but I need to get a newer book. The one I have was handed down to me through the company and it is an eighty-nine model.
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.3