Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Smith vs. Victor torches
- - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 09-03-2008 21:33
Can anyone comment on them? Thanks
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-03-2008 21:44
I have both. I like Victors better (the Journeyman size), just my preference. The new Harris stuff Lincoln has now is junk. We had them at school & every one of them were crap. The think I like best about Victor, is that they are plain brass, no chrome plating to chip off & their tips are readily available in aftermarket versions & inexpensive compared to the Smith tips. As far as regulators go, I use only Airco 2 stage, even inert gas. they are the finest regulators made IMHO. The inline design looks good & is compact, not hanging out over both sides of the cylinder.

My thoughts, for what it's worth.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 09-03-2008 21:47
VICTOR. We have both at the plant I work at I hate Smith they are junk.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 09-03-2008 22:29
yep! :-)
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 09-04-2008 02:52
I'd have to say I like Victor the best.  They seem to be the standard in the industry in the power/petrochem world, and I really can't ever recall seeing anything else but Victor on a welders rig truck either. 
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-04-2008 03:11
     I can't comment on the newer Harris gear, the old stuff I have is pretty good, or it wouldn't still be working 30+ years later. Can't beat those Airco 2 stage regulators.

I don't remember what brand torches were on the burning machine at the plant, but I suspect they were Airco, 'cause the machine was an Airco, and so were the bulk tanks. They burned a load of plate in the 3/4"-6" range, and ocasionally thinner & thicker. Whatever brand, they worked well.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-04-2008 09:38
Hello Brian, you've noticed the basic choice of selection from the others who have posted. Sometimes this choice has to do with your geographic location as much as the quality of the equipment. I am a fan of the Victor equipment and have used it for 30+ years. I have also used Smith stuff off and on for various companies when they were supplying the torches and regulators. My main preference for the Victor, besides the fact that I cut my teeth on them, has to do with where I live. In the West and other parts of the states Victor is readily available, Smith isn't. It is likely that there are areas where the Smith's or Harris's are the common product, you have to determine that on your own and from what you see around your area and what is available from your suppliers. That's just my $.02 to throw into the mix. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By Jack Richey Date 09-05-2008 14:37
I heard yesterday that Victor first moved their operations to Mexico, and have now gone to China!! Don't really know how reliable this info is, came from a local welding company's Miller outside sales rep.

Good day to all,
Jack
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 09-05-2008 17:58
I wouldn't doubt it. I have seen Victors quality go downhill for the past 3 years and prices go up....
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 09-06-2008 12:56
They did go to Mexico. I do not know about the move to China.

Griff
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 09-05-2008 17:57
from a repair techs side of things I prefer Smith. Made in the United States. Alot of their line is lifetime warranty. I have Smith on my shop and farm tanks..
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 09-06-2008 12:40
I have Smith and Victor. If it is yours, Smith is the way to go.  If you are going to have employees throwing it around, Victor.

Smith still is made in the US
Parent - - By WELDINROPER (*) Date 09-06-2008 13:16
I agree if your torchin I'm usin my Smith, if somebody else is helpin give them the Victor.  Like Smith's lifetime warranty and made in the US.  Besides it's so much shinier than a victor.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 09-06-2008 15:18
I like the balance a Smith offers-- no kick back.
Parent - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 09-06-2008 16:39
Hey Fellers, Thanks for the input. I think that I am going with the Smith, one main reason is that its made in the USA and we have to stand for that or we will fall for anything. The other reason is that up here in the Inland Northwest we have a really good Sales Rep. (A-L Compressed Gases) and they stand behind the products they sell. Thanks Again
Parent - By Jack Richey Date 09-07-2008 11:51
I've used Victor for nearly 30 years, and it seems the teflon seats in the regulators fail more frequently than anything else (if they're not abused, of course), a $30-45 repair job. The Miller sales rep that was telling me about Victor moving to Mexico and China also told me that if you have a problem with a Smith torch or regulator, take it back to the dealer, and they will give you a brand new unit, right off the shelf, that you don't have to wait for a repair job. That's a plus in my book! I DO know that it's cost me several hundred bucks to have my regulators repaired, and have even bought new ones (not Victor), so the job could go on while I waited for the repairs!

Good day to all,
Jack
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Smith vs. Victor torches