Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / normalizing/fully killed fine grain practice
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 04-10-2009 11:52
Is the statement on a cert - Manufactured to fully killed fine grain practice by electric arc furnace- acceptable as normalized plate without stating it has been normalized?
MDK
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-10-2009 13:02
What you need to do is take a look at the material specification and determine what the heat treat options are. If there are options, and there probably will be (Q and T for example), then the answer would be no. Its esssntially no anyway.
Besides, I wouldn't want to make that argument to a customer.
Take for example SA-516. This material can be hot rolled or normalized and the requirement for normalized is only imposed at thicknesses >1.5". The requirement for fine grain practice is referred to SA-20 which relates fine grain practice to Al content as a grain refining element and then the McQuaid-Ehn test is invoked.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 04-10-2009 13:40
I would like to give you more information on this steel MTR.
The PO calls for ½ inch thk SA516 GR 70 Normalized material.

In section II part A of ASME the  SA516 material spec SAYS (4 Materials and manufacture Steel making practice the steel shall be killed and shall conform to fine austenitic grain size.) that means all SA 516 is killed correct.
As you said all plates over 1.5 shall be normalized (this plate in question is ½" but the po calls for it to be normalized.)
Based on  your experience when plates are normalized is it not stated on the cert "NORMALIZED"
MDK
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-10-2009 13:49
MIke,
Either stated explicitly as 'normalized' and/or the heat treat regime is provided which will tell you it is normalized. I'm not sure it is required to state explicitly 'normalized' I would have to read the 'information reporting' section of the specification, but something has to be provided to determine without doubt how the material was processed. Fine grained practice is not synonymous with normalizing.
So, stating fine grained practice and being SA-516-70 does not confirm normalizing.
And yes, all SA-516 is killed.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 04-10-2009 14:04
Thank you, i know that from the other certs ive reviewed for this material i have seen "normalized" stated but did not see it in this MTR as a matter of fact the MTR states that "Produced as continuios cast discrete plate as rolled" now being a plate that does not require normalizing i think this may have been done.
Produced as continious cast discrete plate as rolled is that hot rolled?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-13-2009 13:21
Recognizing that I am no steel making guy, I would say that yes, it is hot rolled. SA-941 states that hot working is deformation of a metal at temps above recrystallization. After continuous casting there is some form of hot rolling, hot deformation, or hot reduction going on, at least the applications I am aware of.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-13-2009 22:56
I agree with js55. The phrase "fully killed fine grain practice" doesn't mean that the material has been normalized. Now, standard SA 516 requires that the steel be normalized for thicknesses above 1.1/2 inches, but for some reason the customer has included on the Purchase Order that the 1/2 inches plate he's buying be normalized, and he's paying for that. So, the plate must be normalized and the supplier must prove it is. 
Steel mills usually furnish a certificate stating the chemical composition of the material they're supplying, together with mechanical tests and possible heat treatments the material has undergone. Is there such a certificate in your case?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 04-14-2009 15:58
i have recieved all paper work, the heat chart has been sent to me and its all in order.
this supplier really needs to get on the ball with paper work.....they sent 2 MTRs for the same 4 plates each claiming 4 plates from each heat.........that would be 8 plates but i only have and need 4. they cut the first plates wrong scraped them, burned more from another heat but still sent 2 MTRs. then they tell me they didnt even ship the plates ...............but here they are sittin in the shop.
Question everything......................
thanks for the input.
MDK
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / normalizing/fully killed fine grain practice