Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI---->VT2
- - By DavidP66 (*) Date 06-10-2003 15:29
I was reading on the aws website about all current SCWI's and CWI's can submit an application to transition to VT2 and carry both cards.

I am interested in this. Has anyone done this? I need some more info on the recertification of the VT2, it says that you will have to update it when your CWI expires. Does this mean you will have to pay another 150 dollars every time. Along with on your 9th year. Pay to take the CWI exam, or opt to take the SCWI.

Also, if I do this, what is the criteria for becoming a Level 3 VT. And what can you do with this.

Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 06-10-2003 16:44
i havent seen anything on this.....can you post a link?
Parent - - By DavidP66 (*) Date 06-10-2003 17:43
look on the home page.. www.aws.org and look to the right side of the screen it says something like ASNT signs transitioning with AWS. it's in the AWS press release section.

David
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-10-2003 19:39
Yep, seen it. Haven't read it yet.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-10-2003 20:17
It appears that yes, if you are transitioning, when renewing your CWI/SCWI, you must renew your Level II VT status as well(another $150), also an additional eye exam is required to Jaeger 1.

Further testing is required to become Level III VT.

This was the way I read it,
John Wright
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 06-11-2003 11:39
From what I have read, I am not sure if you have to already be a level 2 or not. Can you guys tell any different from the application?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-11-2003 11:55
Ctate,
I read it as if you passed the CWI/SCWI, you already met the requirements in ASNT SNT-TC-1A for Level II VT, so they are letting you (CWI/SCWI's) transition into a Level II VT without testing, by Sept. 30, 2003. (for a fee of course!)
John Wright
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 06-11-2003 12:12
So, if ASNT feels that a CWI is equal to a Level II, then why should we pay $150 just to hold their card, when we already have it as a CWI?

Does anyone see any benifit to doing the transition program?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-11-2003 12:19
I'm not sure if it would help me or not. I've been thinking about that too. Just another fee every three years. It is recognized as an ACCP cert., which is not an "employer certified" cert. It will stay with you should you change jobs.
John Wright
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 06-11-2003 12:29
Do you think that if you go on a job site as a CWI that the owner would pay an ACCP cert. inspector to come out also. Even though you are already their, but you don't have an ACCP certification? It just seems to me that if the owner has a CWI on the job site then he would feel that the CWI could handle all the same duties that an ACCP cert. would.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-11-2003 13:02
It will probably depend on what the "job specs" call for. If it is spelled out that you need an ACCP Level II VT to inspect on that particular job, then the EOR, (I guess) would have the final say. I haven't ran into this before so, I'm not sure, and I'm speculating.
John Wright
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 06-11-2003 17:21
I just spoke with a person from ASNT. If you download the LII-CWI.pdf from the ASNT web site (this is the application for CWI/SCWI) we only have to fill in the information on pg. 5&6, attach a copy of your CWI/SCWI certificate, pay the $150 fee,attach the visual accuity form (completed), sign pg.9&10. Attach the 2-photos.

This is only for the GI-Direct.

A representative from ASNT will be joinging this forum later to answer any other questions.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-11-2003 17:37
Dave and ctate,
Maybe we can then get all our questions answered,
John Wright
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 06-11-2003 18:50
Yes I called them too because I was wanting to get a few of my NDT methods transitioned in. After talking with them I did find out that the $150.00 fee for the first NDT method and $30.00 for each additional method will not include the transitioning from a CWI to Level II VT (only SNT-TC-1A Level II VT to ASNT Level II VT). The transitioning from a CWI to Level II VT is a seperate application and therefore a seperate fee.
Parent - - By DavidP66 (*) Date 06-12-2003 11:59
ctate,

About the attachment of the visual accuity record. We already had an exam done for the CWI can we attach that record. And are our visual records kept with AWS for documentation. Will AWS give us copies of our old records that we sent them.

David
Parent - - By Wildturkey (**) Date 06-12-2003 12:23
Im not shure about getting any documents back from AWS but the visual accuity record has to be within the past 12 months.
Parent - - By DavidP66 (*) Date 06-12-2003 12:48
ill call AWS and see if i can get it...i had my vision checked last July and August.

David
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-12-2003 14:03
Dave,
Check out my reply from June 10, The visual exam is different, unless your eye Dr. went ahead and gave you the more stringent "Jaeger 1" exam, you will have to get another eye exam. For the CWI a Jaeger 2 is what was required.
John Wright
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 06-18-2003 19:32
John,
So, what do you think about this whole transitioning period for CWI's? Do you think that it is worth the $150 every (3) years?

Chuck
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-18-2003 20:18
After reading further, I beleive the $150 is for the transition. The way the rest of the ACCP certs renew is every five years for Level II's and ten years for Level III's. So I'm not sure about the three year renewal once your transition has been established to a ACCP Level II VT. Read over on the ASNT site at all the transition and renewal info and see what your opinion is.
Let me know what you think after you read it all,
John Wright
Parent - - By ctate (*) Date 06-16-2003 01:17
David,
As John replied, we have to get a new test done. We only needed an Jaeger2 test for cwi, but we need the jaeger1 exam for ASNT.
Parent - By brande (***) Date 07-02-2003 05:28
Don't forget the color vision test. I called the ASNT and was told that is a requirement as well.

You only get one chance for omissions, after that, they keep your money!

Goods Luck
brande
Parent - By brande (***) Date 07-04-2003 06:21
Not to be a pain....
but when is this ASNT rep going to reply!! :)

Good Luck
brande
Parent - By Wendy Sue Date 06-12-2003 18:44
David,

This is a first-time offer to AWS CWI/SCWIs to particiate in ASNT's transition program for their Central
Certification Program (ACCP). There is only a four-month window of opportunity to participate for AWS CWIs/SCWIs
submitting and application for ACCP VT certification. You will need to go to their website as indicated in the press release for specific information regarding their programs.

The $150 is payable to ASNT not AWS and the application form is provided by ASNT. ASNT certification issued will
remain in effect as long as the CWI or SCWI adheres to the renewal and recertification requirements in
accordance with ACCP requirements.

Also, there will be no combo price fee for CWI renewal or SCWI exam to gain this ACCP certification. AWS and
ASNT's programs are administered separately.
separate administrative programs.

Parent - By gcherny44 Date 07-05-2003 18:01
For those interested in the ASNT Central Certification Program Level II, go to the web and type in ASNT Transition Program, and you find out everything that is required for VT2. This is an ACCP certificate and will go with you where ever you work. It is good for three years and you will need to retest for renewal. Believe me, the web site explains it all. I hope this helps a little.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI---->VT2