Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / honest opinions requested!!!
- - By KSellon (****) Date 08-31-2009 18:40 Edited 08-31-2009 18:44
Ok-- I just want to know what you would expect as a customer::

We pay the shipping to get your machine into our shop to fix someone elses miss-mash. (savings of $350). Once the machine arrives, the doors are found to be damaged. We spend our time submitting a claim , ordering replacement doors, etc, etc,etc. We get that taken care of, your machine is now something to be proud of, we give your a 15% discount on parts and labor. Ship machine back to you with a total bill of $1700. It is delivered to a construction job site--where you don't know its there until 7 days later. You remove all the packing and shrinkwrap to discover a dent in the side of the roof-- you call me to report damage--I file a claim--30 days later the freight company denies claim stating " too much time elapsed between delivery and claim"

SHOULD I AS A SHOP COVER THE COST TO REPLACE ROOF FOR YOU THE CUSTOMER???????????
Parent - By thomasyyz (**) Date 08-31-2009 18:46
no, four days is too long for a dent.
Who signed the delivery? Claims have to be made when the parcel arrives before driver leaves.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-31-2009 19:00
That's too long and someone or something at the construction site could have dented it probably the shippers argument too but also way too long for the shipper to say anything back.  If someone on the construction site signed for it and never inspected it would think it was theirs right then.   If shipping company dropped it off not letting anyone know or sign for it should be their responsibility.  
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 08-31-2009 20:22
It is not your responsibility to replace it in my opinion. You'd think that the person would know that he had a machine coming an would have been in touch with you as to when it was being shipped back to him. When it was on the way, he shoulda been askin the recieving dept. every day about if it came in, least, I would. If I was that guy, I'd find out who signed for the machine and ask him if he did an inspection before taking control of the machine. If not, I would take it up with the contractor because that's what recieving is sposed to do, check things when they come in for any damage and to know what they get in. If it's been sitting there for 7 days though, that's a little long to be filing a damage claim with the freight carrier cause it could of happened at the job site during that time. One question Kaye, who was the freight company? Southeastern?  I know that last time I talked to you about my 63 machine yalls workin on, you said that you'd had problems with them damaging some of the machines. Just wonderin cause if it was them, prolly was their fault but they just lucked out it took the guy so long to file the claim.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-31-2009 20:30
"where you don't know its there until 7 days later"

No, to much time has passed.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 08-31-2009 21:06
thank you,all.. I want to do right by the customer.
Parent - - By bigrod (**) Date 09-01-2009 15:17
im with all of the other guys on this.   I noticed my machine was damaged the day i picked it up after some warranty work with my 300d and twice the shipping company dinged it all up.  After talking to the people with airgas and lincoln, the guys at lincoln sent me new doors and exciter cover.  because of how bad of a job the airgas repair center did on my machine lincoln sent me stainless doors and hood.  if i ever have any more problems with it, there is no doubt about where its going.  STRAIGHT TO KAYE!!!!
Parent - - By ruero (**) Date 09-02-2009 01:58
K your in the good. IMO in first place you shouldn't have even paid to have the machine shipped to you, that was way more than anyone should expect. If it were my machine I would have tracked it and known when it would be delivered, all that takes is a phone call to shipper if nothing else.
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 09-02-2009 03:48
I too agree with your decision. Keep in mind, though, that it's unlikely this customer will do business with you again. With as many years as your family has in this business you know by now that for every bad reference it takes 10 good ones to overcome the bad one. If you make good on this client's bogus claim is the hit you will take worth it? Chalk it up as advertising or P.R. Maybe you might want this thorn in your side to go away and not have to deal with their laissez-faire method of running their company. If I had sent my very expensive machine off I would be waiting for it to come back with baited breath. The client is obviously wrong. The client has brass balls to even ask for this freebie.

Do you dig your heels in and tell your client to pound sand or take one on the chin because that's how really good your organization is? That is the question.

Jon

The last time we found ourselves in this position we ate a 3K bill. The build we are on right now is a friend of the aforementioned. We are building his home because of our good reputation and high praise/referral we received. Many families are fed right now because we took a hit. You are in a tricky situation requiring all your abilities and experience to see through the issue and decide if it's really worth it. Welcome to being the boss. Now for all your trouble and heartache, please give the government all your profit!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-02-2009 08:54
7 days are you serious i smell another florida deal hell no you dont owe him nothing. like some of the othersw i would of tracked the machine down and been there before the gate ope.ned on the truck. and besides you had it shipped you werent the truck driver
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / honest opinions requested!!!