Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6G test specimen size
- - By FullMetal* inspector Date 12-17-2009 18:21
I need help to find out the width of side bend specimens for a 6G pipe test a few welders took in my shop. I know the coupon size & width for the face and root bends, its just the side bend width i cannot locate in D1.1 Structural welding code steel. the pipe size im using is 6" sch 80, and the  test will be preformed using a guided bend test. Im thinking the width cannot exceed the nominal thickness for the side bend specimens but i found nothing of the sort in writing thats why im asking you the people of this forum for help!

Regards   Fullmetal*
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-17-2009 18:38 Edited 12-17-2009 18:41
FullMetal* inspector
Welcome to the Forum
AWS D1.1 2008 Clause 4.8.3.1 Root Face and Side Bend Specimens explains the differences of the bend tests , Clause 4.19.1.2 Guided Bend Tests gives that info or at least directs you to the applicable figure, Figure 4.13 Side Bend Specimens which shows the specimen to be 3/8" thick and gives other bits of info like 1 1/2" wide.
Good Luck
Marshall
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 6G test specimen size