Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Macroetch test
- - By greek (*) Date 04-09-2010 14:51 Edited 04-09-2010 14:53
What is the best solution to use on carbon steel?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-09-2010 15:19
You should run the search function in the forum here.. There are a number of threads that discuss this.

I use Amonium Persulfate powder mixed with water..  It is easy to store and mild enough that in the quantities I use it that the local water district has no problem with it going down the drain when i'm done.

It etches well but more slowly than some other processes... I find it works best withe the metal up at about 120 degrees...
Parent - - By yyq4794 (**) Date 04-09-2010 18:39
3%HNO3
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-09-2010 19:31
yyq4794
I like Nitric Acid myself
Marshall
Parent - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 04-13-2010 14:30
"best" is relative to circumstance or conditions.

That said, the ammonium persulphate is preferred in that is effective, is a very low safety hazard, and does not require special handling or use controls beyond minimum safety practice (latex gloves, safety glases).
Parent - - By Hughes Welding (*) Date 04-15-2010 11:56
I use nitric acid works very good.  But haven't tried anything else.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-15-2010 12:08
I use the red nitric acid also.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-16-2010 14:41
This is more of an additional question to the thread than an attempt to answer:

I got curious with the various answers and was wondering if Muriatic Acid would work.  I keep a supply of it around for cleaning certain parts for painting, prepping for a natural rust finish, and had originally been taught to use it to clean Alum for welding.  Cleans for many applications, and is readily available.  Most places sell it already diluted for use to clean garage floors, swimming pools, etc.  But you can get it at paint and tile suppliers in higher concentrations and dilute to suit your needs.

Now, does anyone know if it performs a macroetch very well?  Just curious.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-16-2010 14:48
Haven't used Muratic acid for etching carbon steel, but I have use battery acid....that worked, but was very slow and the finish required a very polished surface...alot moreso than the red, fuming, nitric acid requires.

Pic: CS done with nitric acid with a quick scuff of emory cloth for the polish, and maybe two minutes or so for the dwell time before rinsing.

- By eekpod (****) Date 04-09-2010 17:44
I use sulphuric acid, mean stuff, not fun, but gets the job done, stinks like hell, burns too if your not careful.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Macroetch test