Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of thicker plates
- - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 01-12-2011 04:22
Hello Guys,

I'm in need of technical answers to my queries below:

1) How many welding pass will be needed to weld a Complete Joint Penetration Butt Weld for a web plate thickness of 40,50,60, 80 and 100mm ( material grade ASTM A572 ) to a higher thick flange? Root pass to be made by FCAW and to be followed by SAW process.

a) edge preparation will be double bevel with a groove angle of 60 degrees.
           b) what will be the suitable SAW electrode size to increase welding deposition.
           c) ranges of required inter-pass temperature
           d) what will be the required weld size ( leg ) for each particular thicknesses. 

Anticipating your technical help.

Thanks...
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-12-2011 04:44
The Lincoln Procedure Book of Arc welding has excellent tables, charts and will give you this and more information such as volts amps and travel speed.
Parent - - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 01-12-2011 06:47
Thanks Flux.

But I tried and could not able to find any of those tables and charts that you've mentioned in their website.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-12-2011 09:13
Mark Anthony Nofuente,
This is a book that can be ordered off their site. It is quite possibly The Most welding information that can be had for $25 USD.
Every Community College and Trade School Library with a welding department I've ever been to has at least 1 copy on their shelves.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-12-2011 19:30
Mark,
if the book is sold for 25 dollars, it's obvious they won't put it in their website to be unloaded for free.  
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By ndeguy (*) Date 01-17-2011 12:19
Miracles do happen. 6 months ago I paid GBP 120 for Olympus-ims text book on advanced Phased Array UT. Its now (grrr) freely downloadable from:

http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/pdf-library/
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-12-2011 14:27
I didn't look up your particular query but Super is correct about that book being a very inclusive resource for just about anything 'welding'.  Mine is an older copy(70's I believe) that I need to update because some areas have definitely changed as to procedures.  But you can't go wrong to have that on the shelf.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-12-2011 15:17
Here's the web site.

https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/foundation/

Other than what Lincoln has to offer, you might want to consider retaining the services of a Welding Engineer.

Al
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-13-2011 17:51 Edited 01-13-2011 19:12
The Procedure book of arc welding is presented to the public for basically the printing and binding costs. The information you get is "free". All that R & D contained within its pages is the best bang for your buck anywhere in the industry.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of thicker plates