Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / spanish translation
- - By cwiconsultant Date 05-12-2011 20:17
What is the correct spanish translation for "groove weld" and " fillet weld" ?
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 05-12-2011 21:41 Edited 05-12-2011 21:44
cwiconsultant

European, Mexican, or Latin America?

Marshall

Mexican Spanish
Acanale Soldadura   Groove Weld

Cortar en filete Soldadura   Fillet Weld

Free online translator no download  http://www.freetranslation.com/

Marshall
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-12-2011 22:11 Edited 05-12-2011 22:19
Hobart Institute has spanish language welding symbols and pretty much any other training material they sell is translated into spanish.

Jeffus and Bower,  Welding Skills, Processes and Practices for Entry Level Welders Volumes 1, 2, and 3 have english/spanish glossary.

As does Jeffus Welding Principles and Applications  6th and 7th Editions.

If your doing consultation/training with non-english speakers the Hobart Stuff is top shelf.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-12-2011 22:29
waccobird is right. There are several technical Spanish languages, according to the country where they're spoken. There are also several technical English languages, according to the country where they're spoken.
Examples.
USA: wrench  UK: spanner
USA: pípe wrench  UK: Stillson wrench
USA: rotor (of a rotating machine) UK: spindle
USA: dial gage (to align rotating machinery)  UK: clock gage
and so on

Answering cwi's question, in Argentina the words he's in doubt with, are so translated:
groove weld: soldadura a tope
fillet weld: soldadura de filete

Now, in Argentina it's spoken the worst Spanish language in the world, BUT the best technical Spanish. The technical Spanish spoken in Argentina is even better than that spoken in Spain (and I know what I'm saying). Am I right, Juan Vrcic?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-12-2011 22:52 Edited 05-12-2011 23:29
Oye Giavonni, hace me un gran favor!!! :lol::wink:
Primero, Which means: First of all... Groove weld is:
"Soldadura de ranura: Una soldadura hecha en la ranura dentro de dos miembros que se unen. Los tipos normales de soldadura de ranura se ven en los dibujos."

Translation: A weld made in the groove between two members to be joined. The standard types of groove welds are shown in the drawings.

Soldadura de filete is correct and here's how I would translate the definition...
"Soldadura de filete: Una soldadura de fliete de seccion transversa aproximadamente triangular une dos superficies aproximadamente en angulos rectos de uno al otro en junta de traslape, junta en-T-o junta de esquina. Refierase al dibujo para convexidad."

Translation:  Fillet Weld: A weld of approximately triangular cross section joining two surfaces approximately at right angles to each other in a lap joint, tee joint, or corner joint. refer to drawings for convexity.

Now, this may just be slightly different with respect to the definition one would find with the AWS... However, there's much of similarity in both definitions to more or less describe what a fillet weld is...

Finally, one can find the identical definition here in the glossary of: Welding Principles and Applications written by Larry Jeffus who Larry is very familiar with.:wink::wink::cool:  

Con mucho Respecto,
Enrique

Translation:
Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-13-2011 00:36
Henry,
"haceme" is how they say in Argentina, where, as I said, they speak the worst Spanish in the world. Correct spelling is "hazme".

As I said, there are several technical Spanish languages, depending on the country where it's spoken. I don't know where did you take that definition from, perhaps from a technical dictionary based on how they say in Mexico, or possibly speaking with a hispanic welder (I understand that there are a lot of hispanic welders in the States).

In Argentina, where I took part in the erection of an oil refinery (and there are thousands of welds in an oil refinery), a groove weld is called "soldadura a tope". The process engineering firm in that job was the Spanish subsidiary of The Lummus Company, so most of the project documents were written in the technical Spanish they speak in Spain. OK, in those documents the groove welds were also called "soldadura a tope". Now, I have already admitted that each Spanish speaking country has its own technical Spanish, so no surprise that in some other country the groove weld is called soldadura de ranura.

Why have I said that the technical Spanish spoken in Argentina is better than that spoken in Spain? Because on the project documents I've mentioned, the anchor bolts were called "pernos de anclaje", which is wrong, because perno is smooth, it has no threads on it. Correct spelling is "bulones de anclaje", bulones being the right translation of bolts. This is just an example among many.

This is just a technical discussion, nothing personal, so don't get upset, you know I like you very much and so do the frequentors of this Forum.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-13-2011 01:38 Edited 05-13-2011 02:00
Giavonni,

I am in no way upset about your remarks but, my point is to educate you - who is not Hispanic American like myself who is (Cuban/Dominican/Canary Islands descent) - in the nuances of proper technical Spanish which comes from Spain... I mean, just because Brazilians use the language of Portugal doesn't mean that Brazilians speak it or use it in any form better than where the language originated -CAPECHE???:wink: The same goes for the form of Spanish from Spain, technical or otherwise and besides, in Argentina they speak a combination of languages based on the various European influences such as the Italian language for example as well.:wink: BTW, Hace Me is the correct way to spell what I wrote... could it be that you're thinking in your own native language??? How am I sure about this??? I have a Spanish /English dictionary and I looked it up... Finally, in the Spanish languaqge, there is no such word spelled "Hazme"... I looked for it in the dictionary and the closest word or group of words to it was: haz which is eqivalent to hacer or to do... Haz also means: bundle or beam of light as well as face... Now, hazmerreir means laughing stock:lol::grin::wink: No offense Giavonni.:lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-15-2011 19:03
Henry,
you have convinced me.
Cheers
Giovanni S. Crisi
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / spanish translation