Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / question ???
- - By testweldguy (**) Date 03-20-2004 02:13
ok now, does anyone have any idea on if a weldor needs to be qualified/certified to weld a mil-e-00022200/10c test plate with 7018 electrodes???? I feel that the company that I work for might be triing to pull a fast one...
any ideas would be appreciated..
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-20-2004 02:30
The mil spec you refer to is a specification for covered electrodes. A welder does not qualify/certify to that specification however the materials are certifeied to that spec and this may be done by welding various test plates.

What is the code being used for fabrication?

Parent - - By testweldguy (**) Date 03-21-2004 02:28
ok, we just got back on the qpl list to sell rods to the military
( a cpl years ago ) the other weldor and I had to get qualified to weld to the 10c process."gib 248"
we got the 1/8",3/32", 7/32" and 1/4" 7018 already qpled, now we are working on getting the 5/32" added to the list, however they are gonna
have another weldor do that (one thats not qualified like us)
Me and the other guy really think that this would be wrong, I'm just triing to make sure that we don't do something that could jepordise the company losing our qpl....I guess that I must care too much ...lol
p.s."not really too swift on my communications" and i have a hard time splaining myself. lol so any comments would be good...
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-21-2004 02:35
The mil E specs should contain the requirements for qualification testing of the electrodes. I haven't looked at this is many years but it would be worth looking into the requirements of the spec.

GA
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-22-2004 00:40
I may take a look at the MIL-E-22200/10C when I get to work on Monday if I have the time. You can download the specification yourself if you like at

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/online/start/

Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-22-2004 15:35
I looked at MIL-E-22200/10C this morning and didn't find anything requiring the welder to be certified. If a welder sucessfully passes the X-ray and other tests that are required to test the filler metal, they would be certifiable anyway. (except for the vision and training/written tests required by MIL-STD-248 (and equivalent tech pub 248))
Parent - By testweldguy (**) Date 03-22-2004 23:56
well hey yall, thanx for the input, this place is kinda neet for different views....
Parent - - By testweldguy (**) Date 03-23-2004 01:54
Oh, and also, yea, it was the visual (eye exam) that i forgot about, and also the written exam.. to which this other weldor does not have or has not done . So if this person were to weld that 5/32 10c plate without having their eyes checked or passing the written test, would that , or should that make the plate void ???
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-23-2004 10:25
The requirement for the eye tests and written exam are part of MS 248. The electrode specification is for qualifying the electrode only. The welder does not have to be certified prior to making the test plate weld. After the welder makes that weld, he may be qualified in accordance with MS 248 except for the near vision acuity and written exam requirements.

Have a nice day

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / question ???