Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / dont belong here but....simple things
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-14-2013 02:53
well i have had to much time on my hands and being a physics buff......

I started thinking about how cool glass and polycarbonate and related materials are  a solid which allows light radiation (photons) to pass thru at will...water is its own unique material in this regard.   Well I am grateful we figured out glass and then it went one further......without that stuff I would not be welding for a living....at least like we know it now.   Think about life without glass or any other material with similar properties and how would it change things for you?  Just a very simple thing....we take so much for granted.  Yall have a great Christmas or whatever holiday you may celebrate....enjoy your family and slow down if ya can and focus on what actually matters.

Tommy
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-14-2013 19:37
Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

The sciences are interesting. The part I find most interesting is the interrelationship between the different branches of science. The principles we learn in magnetic particle testing can be applied to welding. For instance, we often have to demagnetize a test piece after performing MT. The same demagnetizing principles can be applied to a work piece when arc blow is proving troublesome.  

The basic principles of electricity apply to the welding circuit; the longer the welding leads, the greater the resistance, the greater the amperage of the welding machine needed to provide sufficient arc voltage to the welding arc. The longer the electrode extending beyond the end of the contact tip, the greater the resistance, the lower the amperage when welding with either GMAW or FCAW. 

Thermal expansion can be applied to developing an understanding of distortion and how best to control distortion or to use it to our advantage when cambering or straightening members with heat.

An understanding of solution chemistry can lead to a better understanding how different alloy systems work. For example, in some cases Manganese acts as a deoxidizer and in other cases it becomes an alloying constituent. Its all about chemistry.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-18-2014 05:41
Hey AL, 

you got it right, brass tacks all revolve around chemistry and the interactions between the atoms and molecule chains.  I love astrophysics but I have always been a sour sack on quantum theories, but in the end we are still manipulating base particles and the relationships between them.  Chemistry and the study of so has enriched our lives way beyond what most folks ever take the time to consider.  Kind of like welding it reaches into so many different disciplines eh?
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-15-2013 01:19
So true, the list is endless of the the things we never heard of 50 yrs ago and now take for granted, one of the reasons I never put to much stock in buying those brand new welding trucks , but always invest in the latest gear available instead, even though the laws of physic don't change the advancement in equipment is always improving.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-19-2013 11:51
Tommy

This Bud is for YOU and the Merican Mullet.  AND... Gasoline, and Pixie stixs, and junk cars on steel wheels, and fairy tales, and tire pressure gauges.  Hey Tommy we appreciate the hard thinking you do.

MERICA!!!!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-30-2013 03:48
Well Stan my dear friend come the pocyclypse there will be a need for a few like myself....already got my niche planned.   The good thing is I know enough about brewing and distilling that we shall not go without....you and your far better then you half (luv ya S) got a handle on the farming part.  So its all good no matter how it all turns out.  DANG STRAIGHT BRO  MERICA!!!!!!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-08-2014 01:15
Ever look up or deal with aluminum oxynitride? Transparent aluminum nitrated ceramic.  Interesting stuff I think.
http://www.surmet.com/docs/Processing_ALON.pdf

There is work in progress on making sheets of transparent titanium dioxide as well.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-08-2014 21:25
Hello;
That is some pretty neat stuff. Scotty must of come back and gave them the secret. They say science fiction is just stuff we haven't figured out yet.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-09-2014 23:36
the benefits of would be.....?  Molecularly cool but for what purpose?
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 01-10-2014 00:06
*raises his hand* I have a wild arsed guess! :twisted:
Maybe it would be a really stable "glass"? Everything I've read about titanium and how its made mentions that getting it away from oxygen is rather hard to do and that's why its so expensive to refine. Maybe that makes it really useful if you have something that you want to see whats going on but it dissolves regular glass or plastics?:eek::eek::eek:
How would that help anyone anywhere with anything? Couldn't tell ya... But I'm betting somewhere some chem process engineer is salivating at the prospect....:twisted::lol:
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-10-2014 04:52
hehehe  maybe so....but no surprise the labels are in German eh>?    I think we should rewrite the dictionary and the definition of German shall be German: Innovative, creative and industrious.
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 01-11-2014 18:30
whoops, I thought you were mentioning the transparent titanium dioxide   :red:
I've heard that the aluminum oxynitride stuff gets used for bullet proof glass. Supposed to be a lot stronger than normal bullet proof glass.
And yes the Germans are quite the crazy industrial bunch....
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-12-2014 19:05
I can think of some other things that are liquid, but hard as a slab of granite....
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-13-2014 20:19
Speaking of bullet proof glass, when Obama was giving his speech after being elected as president, he had to do it behind three inch thick bullet proof glass. If that isn't racism, I don't know what is.  Just because he's black didn't mean that he was going to shoot anybody.
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 01-13-2014 21:33
Gentlemen,

The term is bullet RESISTANT …

Although, there may be glass in the assembly, because of the potential for secondary fragments due to spalling, it’s usually not glass …  IE: A glass facing on drive-up teller windows so “customers” have a more difficult time scratching the Lexan or whatever polymer is the current rage.

I have previously installed bullet resistant “windows” that were rated for handgun projectiles but NOT rifle projectiles.
I have also installed panels that would stop "normal" rifle rounds but NOT "armor piercing" rounds. (Nor would it stop a “normal” .50 cal BMG round.)

It’s all a matter of degree.

“I’m a certified welder” – Really, which process?  What position(s)?

Cheers,
Jb

PS
“Bullet-proof vests” are rated the same way.  :wink:
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 01-13-2014 22:18
Note to self.... Do not read Scotts posts while drinking anything.... Now I have to clean my keyboard.... :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::lol::lol::lol:
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-14-2014 20:35
I was aware that there's really no such thing as bullet proof glass.  I just referred to it in my post because that’s what it was called in previous posts, but I still feel the need to speak up.  I usually try to mind my own business, especially after what happened to me recently as I walked past a mental institution.  I heard what sounded like a bunch of patients in the yard laughing and shouting 13…  13…  13...  The fence was too high for me to see over, but I saw a little hole in the planks, so I looked through it to see what was going on.  About that time, some idiot poked me in the eye with a stick and they all laughed and shouted 14… 14… 14...

Anyway, the industry calls it bullet resistant glass, as jbndt alluded to.  It's designed to withstand one or several rounds of bullets depending on the thickness of the glass and the weapon being fired at it.  The ability of bullet resistant glass to stop a bullet is determined by the thickness of the glass, so, depending on the thickness, it can be broken.  A rifle bullet will collide with the glass with a lot more force than a bullet from a handgun, so a thicker piece of bullet resistant glass would be needed to stop a rifle bullet as opposed to a handgun bullet.  Different manufacturers make different variations of bullet resistant glass, but it's basically made by laminating layers of a polycarbonate, which is a tough, transparent plastic material, between pieces of ordinary glass.  The process creates a glass like material that is thicker than normal glass.  Bullet resistant glass is typically between 7 millimeters and 75 millimeters in thickness. A bullet fired at a sheet of bullet resistant glass will pierce the outside layer of the glass, but the layered polycarbonate glass material is able to absorb the bullet's energy and stop it before it exits the final layer.

Bullet proof, bullet resistant... what's the difference?  Vests are pretty much all the same because they’re all about protection.   A life vest protects you from drowning.  A bullet resistant vest protects your body from gun shots, and an argyle sweater vest protects you from getting dates with pretty girls.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-16-2014 04:11
I fired a 38 at 1/2 or 3/4 piece of lexan once and it caught it easily....  mushroomed fairly but stretched out and was not pierced at all.  Built some lexan (curtains) for a hydro test stand once...spose to stop pieces of the valves being tested if they exploded....anyway its handy stuff and you can shape and roll it by hand if you heat it carefully but its difficult to keep bubbles from forming in it.

Scott  I for one am very much pleased you are back from that alien abduction episode.  It is really tragic that they charged ya cab fair on the return trip.  I heard that pesos convert on a direct 1 for 1 exchange rate so no matter how many zeros on that tab I am sure you will get that saucer or well lit cigar shaped object out of your driveway any minute.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-16-2014 05:06
How racist....
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-16-2014 12:57
Tommyjoking,

Thanks.  It's good to be back and I'm very thankful that my alien abduction happened so fast.  It was like.... one minute I'm in a bar drinking and the next minute I'm in a cab going home.  What happened in between is still a little sketchy.  The last thing I remember right before I passed out was somebody buying me one shot after another.  The next thing I remember was waking up in what appeared to be the inside of a spaceship.  It was very surreal.  Everything was blurry, yet kind of cool, so I thought I'd just lie back and go with it.  About the time I realized I was completely naked and lying on an alien waterbed, the alien came in.  I thought it was a bit odd that he was smoking a cigar and wearing nothing but a bath robe.  As he inserted the anal probe, as I've often heard they often do, he introduced himself as Carl.  Hey, wait a minute.  There's no such thing as aliens, and who is this Carl?
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-17-2014 06:04
That was you?
Carl
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-17-2014 10:23
Currently, it is being used in air craft canopies, bullet proof glass, structural glass, etc.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-18-2014 05:33
oh as an aside and addition to Sourdough who already knows so and to the rest of you I am a confirmed racist...I know its a terrible thing but it is what it is...I absolutely HATE!!  CANNOT SUFFER!!! and have terrible urges on contact to KILL AND UTTERLY DESTROY the race of STUPID.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 01-18-2014 18:07
Thats just too funny, I'm with you on that one. Gonna be a tall order though.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / dont belong here but....simple things