Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Moment Connections
- - By welder2 (*) Date 02-27-2014 15:26
Is there any important information one must know when working with structural steel and moment connections? A fab shop that mainly deals with welding beams with mostly 1G welds and very few 2G. If moment welds are being completed with plate to beam flange applications with backing, is there any pertinent info a person must be familiar with. I ask this as it relates to welder qualification and WPS's and inspection.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2014 15:32
It is ALL pertinent information.

Such as all the pertinent information you have not shared:  Are you the in house QC or outside QA?  Is it for a Seismic application?  Do you have D1.8 if it is?  What do your Contract Documents and the General Notes tell you?  Etc.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welder2 (*) Date 02-27-2014 16:18
Outside CWI for welder qualifications. Not Seismic so no D1.8. Company is wanting welders qualified and I know moment welds are being spoke about throughout the shop. A D1.1 unlimited test in the 2G position has been preformed and qualified for their welders before I was contacted. This is asked to be continued with new hires. I'm trying to understand moment welds to their entirety and was wondering if any special procedures should be taken when qualifying welders.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2014 17:55
With no D1.8 involved, welder qualification is welder qualification.  Moment connections are obviously groove welds not fillet welds.  What more is there to consider?

Possibly, position.  If they are doing 2G that is wise.  Even in the shop not all groove welds can be made flat.  Welding stub beams, continuity plates, etc will often be in the 2G.  Make sure you understand what and how the various positions are if you are going to be involved in any inspections beyond welder qualification.  If all you are doing is qualifying welders in preparation for this and other work, no worries.  Just do as they have asked.  It is up to the EOR on the job to approve the welders with their current qualifications before work begins on their job. 

Do you have the company's WPS for the welders to work from?  With that you need to verify any required pre-heat, base material, welding process, electrode, and welding parameters.  Those should be easily understood for a CWI so I'm not sure what else you are looking for?  Do you know what a moment connection is?  Why it has special significance? 

Bottom line: I think you are making too much of your responsibility.  Just observe the welding on the coupons, bend them, write up the reports, collect your money, and be gone.  What they are working on is not really a concern.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-28-2014 13:28 Edited 02-28-2014 13:36
AMEN....!

Listen to this man!

Outside inspectors who are testing welders.

Look nether to the left, nor to the right !     Look forward to your appointed task.

Do not coach the welders on technique !    (even if they would pass if they did what you tell them)

Do not criticize even the worst looking welds

Do not tell the welder that "it's ugly but I'm gonna let it go this time"

Do not tell them that the competition does it another way that is better/worse

Do not add directions that are not mentioned in the written WPS

Do not pass visual exams on substandard test coupons because you think they will bend OK.

If you want to coach, mentor, consult, or otherwise be involved beyond OBSERVING THE TEST AND REPORTING THE RESULTS...  The best strategy is to fail the welds worthy of failing and when management asks why so many welders faild.... THEN you can tell them you have some opinions on the matter, but that will cost extra !

In this way you grow in professional stature, value and get that shiny red truck you were looking at.

There is a time to give a customer "More than their Moneys is worth"   and there is a time to do exactly what you are contracted to do.

Edit:   Wanting to know more about connections, qualifications etc. is admirable !      You are in exactly the right forum to get your answers.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-28-2014 14:05
I have done this for several small fabricators in our area that didn't have resources to have a full time QC on hand.

I can tell ya that 2G unlimited thickness will most likey benefit the fabricator the most. I used a B-U4a on 1" material in the 2G position and one test for each welding process/welder. Most of the work can be positioned in the 1F,1G or 2F,2G, so the 2G covers that, plus as an added bonus they get 1F and 2F qualifications automatically.

I echo Lawrence's recommendations.

Good luck with your testing...post back how your experience went, curious minds want to know. :cool:
Parent - - By welder2 (*) Date 02-28-2014 14:17
Hi jwright650, I have a question for you. You mention you have done these 1 inch 2G test as well, have you ever experienced slippage on the test straps when being pushed through a guided bend tester? This has been an issue with a couple I've had in the past and I know I may have to tackle this soon. Single Bevel 1" 2G

All you guys that replied, thank you and I will post updates soon.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-28-2014 14:25
Yes, occasionally that will happen when using a plunger vs a wrap type bend testing jig. Are you using some light oil like WD-40 on the plunger and die?
When the sample slips and does not allow you to evaluate the sample...
What I do is.... keep the coupon in the saw until you are done with that sample and that way if it slips, you can take another 3/8" thick slice off and it will still be square to the saw vise/blade.
Parent - - By welder2 (*) Date 02-28-2014 14:37
I have not thought using oil, but I will try that. I am using the plunger and die style bender. I'm assuming by the single bevel having the full weld out on one side and 45 degree weld out on the other side that it takes the path of least resistance and winds up slipping and candy caning the part. I have the company make the beveled piece one inch longer so that I can offset it. Which that didn't work each time. The most successful times is when I used a pair of vise grips wedging the piece in and keeping it centered. It's is getting more and more nerve racking when I know I have to test this type of joint.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-28-2014 16:14
I'm not sure that single bevel or single V matters when determining if the sample will slip or not. It has more to do with the finish on the surface of sample and the plunger/die. A light coat of some lube should keep the slip down to a minimum where the sample will still bend along the welded joint so you can evaluate the weld.
- - By rjtinsp (*) Date 02-27-2014 17:33
If the project documents reference D1.8 and the welds meet the requirements of Clause 5.1.1 then supplemental qualification testing is required. If not then qualification to D1.1 would apply. Unless the project documents reference something other than qualification to D1.1.
Ramon
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-27-2014 21:45
welder2,

You've indicated that the work isn't seismic.  You still may want to reference the job specs. with regard to backing.  I've seen the removal of backing required on a few structural jobs.  I've also seen the requirement for welding the backing continuous on a few structural jobs as well.

Here's an interesting link that explains how a moment works...

http://www.wikiengineer.com/Structural/Moment
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2014 23:57
Not for welder quals though Scott and it sounds like that is what he is doing.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-28-2014 12:24
I'm aware of that.  He stated in part that he was trying to understand moment welds to their entirety.  I was simply responding to that part of his inquiry.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-28-2014 15:32 Edited 03-01-2014 23:19
I always believed in testing the welders in the positions required for production. A little time spent with the contractor beforehand to find out exactly what is needed to fulfill their production needs is worth the time and effort. If all the welding is done on the flat position, there is no need to qualify in the 2G position.

The first paragraph of Clause 4 Part C states that the welder qualification tests described in Clause 4 are specifically designed for the purpose of assessing the welder's skills and they are not intended to replicate production joints (paraphrased). The test assemblies to be used for welder qualification are defined in Clause 4. There is no reference in Clause 4 Part C (that I can recollect) allowing the welders to be tested with a groove detail depicted in Figures 3.3 or 3.4. The specific joint details to be used for performance qualification are  depicted in the various figures included in clause 4.

I routinely reject welder qualification tests reports that reference a prequalified detail; fillet, groove, or otherwise. My reasoning is simple, consider the fillet test using the T-joint. The appropriate figure in Clause 4 shows the T-joint with no root opening. There are no tolerances for the root opening. It is intended to be tight to assess the welder's ability to achieve complete fusion to the root. Were the qualifier to allow the welder to apply the tolerances for a fillet weld to the test assembly, the test would not accurately assess the welder's skill, i.e., the ability to achieve fusion to the root. The same holds true when qualifying the welder for grooves. The figures in Clause 4 show the root opening of the groove as 1/4 inch. One of the goals of the performance test is to assess the welder's ability to thoroughly fuse the plates and the backing with the root bead. Allowing the welder to apply the tolerances of a prequalified groove to the root opening does not assess  welders ability to properly achieve fusion in the root under the conditions expected. Allowing the welder to increase the root opening to the maximum permitted by a prequalified joint detail may well enable the welder to pass the qualification test, but it does little to assess the welder's skill and ability to manipulate the arc in more difficult root conditions.

It is my contention that if the code committee wanted the employer to use a prequalified joint, any prequalified joint, they would have simply referenced Clause 3 and a joint detail that was appropriate. That isn't the case. Instead, Clause 4 references specific figures found in Clause 4. The intent seems to be pretty clear to me . The code committee does not want the tolerances of a prequalified joint to be applied to performance testing. 

The goal of the qualifier should not be to pass as many welders as possible, it should be to accurately assess the welders' skill to ensure they have the minimum skills needed to produce sound production welds. Welder qualification is a method used by the employer to cull those welders that do not have the required skills from the herd.

The qualifier's job is to ensure the welder that takes the test is the person listed by the welder performance test report, to ensure the welder works within the constraints of the WPS, to ensure the welder welds the test assembly in the proper test position and so on. Both Brent's and Lawrence's advice is spot on.

But, hey, that's just my opinion on the matter. My opinion and a couple of dollars will get you a small cup of coffee at most coffee shops.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-28-2014 16:29
Good post Al,

A little off topic here, but your statements remind me of my new admiration for CWB 47.1  Which provides some test assembly options including back gouging and multiple starts and stops. (for welder performance testing)

Good comprehensive tests with tight controls, but also some lattitude for choice/election of welder performance tests that might be closer to the scope of work done in production.  (best of both worlds?)

W47.1 and it's partner W59 is no sivler bullet... But there is much about it I have come to like.

I'm actually glad we elect to comply with both AWS and CWB specifications.  It is great leverage to implement process controls in training, testing and production that I would have great difficulty justifying without them both.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-01-2014 13:54
I take it that your new employer is qualified and approved by the CWB?

That is no easy task; qualified inspectors, welding supervisor, welding engineer, etc.

Good sow.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-03-2014 12:45 Edited 03-03-2014 12:51
Al,  

Getting 8 factories qualified is quite a trick !

We have 3 CWB engineers (spread pretty thin) and I'm working with a couple of other engineers to get them through the hoops.

I see great value in CWB "Company Certification"     It's one of the few "compliance" oriented organizations that can/will add value.

I'm quickly learning the CWB ropes and have had some real adventures with the CWB  "Procedures Group"  that I would really love to share with you over a beer.  (I'm one approval step away from some GMAWP procedures that are quite unique, with some help from your critical analysis of my plans I might add.)

What I really wish was that the AWS Certified Welding Supervisor designation would be viewed as equivelant to the CWB supervisor designation......   The American Welding Society CWS curriculum and body of knowledge is the most valuable single item geared toward American Manufacturing that the AWS produces in my opinion.  Barckhoff is a bloody genius.     Too many CWI's   Not enough CWS's in the engineering/management world.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-03-2014 21:07
Thanks for that info about the CWS Lawrence.  I have something to share with those interested in it's value.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-01-2014 21:36
was that a 'rant'?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-01-2014 22:02
Now Glyn,

Al doesn't 'rant'...though I have noticed him really 'rave' occasionally.  :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-01-2014 23:12 Edited 03-01-2014 23:17
Only if you take it as such.:smile:

I would prefer it to be viewed as a position statement. It sounds better.

Al
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-02-2014 00:52
Brent, I am trying to visualize Al raving! it is quite hard!
Al, 'a position statement' .................I like that, I may use it, but it sounded like a rant to me!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Moment Connections