Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Crossover
- - By marktski (**) Date 03-13-2014 13:55
Good morning to all my esteemed colleagues,

I have a welder who performed the welding on an ASME PQR on Stainless 316L using TIG root and FCAW fill and cap.
Would he then be also qualified for the same under AWS? I'm just wondering if there is any crossover of the codes.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 03-13-2014 14:15
Good morning,

At the engineer's discretion, AWS D1.6, the structural code for stainless allows properly documented previous qualifications, provided the welder has welded with a process within a six month period, and that there is no specific reason to question a welder's ability.
Parent - - By marktski (**) Date 03-13-2014 14:29
Thank you for that prompt reply.

I do hope the posters on this site don't go away due to the advertisements.
Some of us do rely on this site for expert advice and commentary.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 03-13-2014 14:45
I hope so too.  This site is an excellent site for information that is provided by some very experienced and knowledgeable people who I have tremendous respect for.  I think that advertising could have it's place here as maybe another subject matter such as "Equipment", along with the existing "Shop Talk", "Certification and Qualification", "Technical", "Education", etc., and we then could access it as the need arises, rather than have it jump out at us as we access the forum.  Advertising posters would first have to be approved, along with the subject matter.  I see the ESAB logo on the top right of this page and the AWS logo on the left.  ESAB has some great products, but the logo, or any other logo for that matter, is a bit distracting, and for me, it takes away the impact of seeing the AWS logo.  I think the AWS logo should stand alone on this great site.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-13-2014 15:07
There is no automatic 'crossover' as you say. What you have to do is review the requirements in the D1 Code and the requirements in ASME and then see if your testing regime complies with both. It is possible. But they handle the essential variables differently so you have to accommodate that.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Crossover