Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Stackable Credentials another Cash Cow?
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-04-2014 16:19
I see in the society news section of the latest welding journal on page 63 talk of stackable credentials.

I may be wrong but thus seems like another method to generate documentation that may or may not mean anything in real life. 

Just some of the questions I see posted by CWI's and wonder how much the program has improved the overall weld quality . There are many more CWI's so has quality improved? :

A good old interview and a few practical skills tests go way farther than credentials in my opinion. 

I allow HS student to take my night class. One is due to receive his "material handling" credential in accordance with NCCER. I asked him what type of hitch consists of a choker that is connected to the hook on one end, passes under the load and back to the hook. He gave me the "look" like I was speaking in tongues.

I am all for improving training methods and using better materials but "certification" is getting to be a bit much.

Anyone else have thoughts. 

Gerald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-04-2014 16:38
I would agree. We've all seen arrogance in CWI's that were idiots. But when you combine the talents of legal departments, marketing departments, and accounting departments the result is more paperwork to generate more cash flow. The accountants generate the impetus, the lawyers the false sense of urgency, and the marketers sell it.
I mean, I do believe there is some value in the CWI certification program and some of the others as well but really only as far as a well rounded exposure is concerned. Any reasonably intelligent person can grasp what CWI's do.
And I am not picking on the CWI program as such. I actually respect it, within limitations. I am just using it as a specific example of a generic issue.
In more and more of these certification programs there seems little to no need in the industry. Some energetic and imaginative marketing guy practices what I call 'rectal extracticus' and voila', a new cert and a new cash cow.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-05-2014 11:18 Edited 04-05-2014 11:22
I respect the program too. It just seems industries, people ,  organizations and companies are more dependent on what some piece of paper says than getting off our rear ends, interviewing and having someone demonstrate some practical skills.

Maybe AWS will make it a worthwhile program but who is to say the participants are any better than the ones who do not.

The article just hit a nerve.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-07-2014 21:30
If participating contractors/companies were audited and compliant, stackable credentials would have meaning.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record... But.... CWB manufacturing company/plant/contractor certifications are one of the very excellent aspects of the way they do business...

It comes with all the pitfalls of anything that is a Bureau..... Still there is a lot to like.

AWS has no teeth.........  This is the root of what our friend Sourdough has been getting after for years and he is right.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-08-2014 11:56
Lawrence,
I think you need to expand upon your idea of teeth. Those certifications of which you listed, though AWS has programs, are not as a rule governed by them anyway. They are governed by AISC or ASME.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-08-2014 12:55
I'm afraid to expand sir!

I'm already sounding like I want more governance/government....  When all I really want is a great quality system, and I don't need to the government to do that for me now do I???.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-08-2014 13:44
Lawrence,
LOL!!!!
We obviously have some considerable common ground.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-08-2014 16:26
I think if companies interviewed and tested people using individuals competent in the skills the companies need then all would be good or at least better.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-08-2014 16:40
It has to come from the companies themselves. A good certification program can easily be circumvented if the company is of a mind to do so.
The other issue is that customer bean counters drive this very circumvention. If you put programs in place that cost your company money you have the best program around, in bankruptcy.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-04-2014 16:43
One other point I think, is that I would guess that most failures are caused by negligence and fraud, not what I would call 'conscientious incompetence'. And the only problem that a certification program can resolve is conscientious incompetence. A certification will do nothing for those who would be negligent or fraudulent.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Stackable Credentials another Cash Cow?