Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PQR for DBA
- - By FabsForLife (*) Date 04-09-2014 17:15
I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. For the use of flare bevel grove welding DBA (deformed bar anchors) to A36 plate for embeds, is a PQR required per D1.1? The DBA material says its A496, but I do not see A496 being a pre-qualified base metal. We are using FCAW-G process. I know the material is similar to whats used for headed studs. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to All.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-09-2014 18:13
A496 is in the D1.4 code.  It's the applicable code for welding reinforcing steel to carbon or low alloy structural steel.  Do you have it?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-09-2014 18:15
You are going to need AWS D1.4 for the DBAs to Structural Steel. Keep in mind Table 5.1 and read closely to see if you can use Clause 5.1.2 where you can use the FCAW filler material you have there.

edit*Table 2.1 may help you as well.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-09-2014 18:18
Do you have a Stud welding machine available? You can shoot DBAs if you have the equipment.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-09-2014 19:33
John,

It sounds like he's doing a lap joint because he referenced the flare bevel groove weld.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-09-2014 19:44

>he referenced the flare bevel groove weld

::smacks forehead::
LOL, I should have thought that one through a bit better before posting :red:
Parent - - By FabsForLife (*) Date 04-10-2014 17:54
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am still trying to get my hands on the latest and greatest D1.4. The copy I have is from 98. little outdated. :yell: In this edition there is no mention of A496 material. We are definitely welding a lap joint.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-11-2014 12:35
AWS D1.4:2011
1.3.1 (Partial)
..."For joining the ASTM A82/A82M and A 496/A496M to other reinforcing wires, reinforcing bars, for structural steels, the Engineer shall specify filler metal and the provisions of this code shall apply"

Sounds like you are doing an anchorage lap joint, so testing using figure 6.5 C (2 bars spliced end-to end with and angle iron splice plate)
2 test assemblies, 2 tensiles and 2 macros
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-10-2014 18:50
Just in case anyone is wondering what a DBA is...

http://www.nelsonstud.com/cat-pdf/studweld/concreteAnchors/d2l.pdf
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-10-2014 21:19
My ex girlfriend was a DBA.... Dumb But Adorable.  I had to resort to D.B.A. just to put up with her.... Drugs, Beer, Alcohol
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-11-2014 19:37
LOL.
Scott, you always make me laugh with your witty replies...thanks.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-12-2014 13:30
Thanks John.  I guess witty and pretty were just not meant to be together.  In her defense, blow up dolls are typically air headed anyway.  In the beginning, it was great.  At first, she was a little shy, but she was fairly easy.  I wanted to spice things up a bit, so I filled her with helium.  That’s when she started playing hard to get.  It was exciting, but at the same time it was very frustrating.  Then it hit me like a tornado propelled bumble bee.  I had used balloon helium, which caused her to just be all over the place.  After thinking about what to do about the problem, I made the decision to switch to industrial grade helium, similar to the helium used in TIG welding, which made her a lot less hyper.  Using helium on her was a tough decision for me.  Helium addiction is not that common but once addicted to it, it can ruin a person.  Take Minnie Mouse, for instance.  Look what that stuff did to her voice.  I never noticed whether the helium had any other side effects on her.  I know that the switch to welding helium seemed to calm her down when we were out in public together, especially when I’d take her to the beach, where she always handled the looks and stares a lot better than I did.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PQR for DBA