Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What a long, strange trip it's been. . .
- - By vagabond (***) Date 05-11-2014 18:32
Well I think I just accepted my first regional manager position.  Not sure how I feel about that yet.  I was always going to wait until I got "older" to hang up my hood and become an inspector.  One thing led to another and many factors, not the least of which was the shortage of inspectors led me to pursue a career in inspection a few years back.  I've enjoyed it thoroughly and I still am fortunate enough to be one of the people that can say I like going to work every day (well almost every day).  This trade has always been, and continues to be very good to a kid who came from the wrong side of the tracks in a boomtown in Alaska.  My life has always seemed like a series of "it seemed like a good idea at the time" moments that are strung together to me and the fact that I'm older hasn't changed that much.  I guess what I'm trying to say, in a nutshell is I feel pretty fortunate to be doing what I am.  I've always loved this work and the places and people that go along with it.  I just miss looking around for the old guy to ask questions of.  I'm only 45, but I realized awhile back. . . . .I am the old guy.  :eek::eek::cool::cool::grin::grin:
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-12-2014 02:50
Totally agree with you... for the most part.
Wait til you are the "Old Guy" and everyone's always asking; "Why aren't you retired?".
That, and I'm always having to rely on the youngsters for computer and excel help.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-12-2014 03:22
Good luck with the  new job Dutch!!

Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-12-2014 14:57
I wish you good luck as well.  As for being the old guy, sometimes I wish I was 45 again. I’m 56 now but I guess it all boils down to how you feel.  This morning I woke up feeling like an eighteen year old as I jumped over my wife on my way out of bed, but where can you find an eighteen year old at 5:30 on a Monday morning? Then it dawned on me.  A few weeks ago my wife started insisting on sleeping on the right side of the bed.  I figured it was so that she could be right, even in her sleep, well that, plus moving to the right side stopped me from enjoying stepping on something warm as I got out of bed.  Anyway, congratulations on accepting the job.  I remember my first regional manager job.  It was at KFC.  I had what I thought were some pretty good managerial skills but I had no restaurant experience.  I insisted on spending a few weeks on the floor to get a better understanding of the system before moving into the office, but I never made it to the office.  I was fired a couple hours after I was asked to bone the chickens.  Evidently this means something different than it does on the farm I grew up on.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 05-12-2014 15:12
ROFLMAO.  :eek::cool::cool:
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-12-2014 20:40
Hey Dutch, if they give you the opportunity to relocate to Wyoming, 2 things to consider: 1) no state income tax!!! 2) Concealed carry does NOT require a permit.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 05-12-2014 21:02
My truck has Alaska plates brother!!  I go by Alaska laws. . . lol.  Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.  My permit is the 2nd ammendment.  And Colorado also is a "castle law" state still I think.  So you can carry concealed in/on your truck/bike.  Just not off of it.  :twisted::twisted::twisted::cool:
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What a long, strange trip it's been. . .