Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wrapping a weld
- - By Harman (*) Date 05-22-2014 20:59
Should I wrap my welds ? Is there any aws standard for the same ?
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-22-2014 21:03
All depends what the holiday, or celebration is.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-23-2014 01:47
Hello Harman, that is generally an engineering call. There has been much debate on that very subject and different trains of thought with regard to right and wrong. On the Safeco field up in Seattle, WA. about half of the weld terminations are "wrapped", some have a "hold-back" dimension, and still others have the bead started on one of the pieces and then it progresses into the end where the two pieces meet and the fillet is blended between the two and continues down the length of the weld joint. Hope that makes some sense. Essentially, call for a determination from whoever is in charge of your fab. work. Let it be their "call". Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-23-2014 10:51
Harman,
Wrapping the weld will always increase the strength of the joint. Allan is right, it's an Engineering call.  If the drawing doesn't specify, then you cannot be faulted for not wrapping.  AWS doesn't have a standard. 
My personal opinion...they should always be wrapped.
Tyrone
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-23-2014 11:36
Wrapping a weld also increases the possibility of notching at material edges. Per AISC, fillet weld terminations should be located approximately one weld size from the edge of the connection material to minimize notches.  That's what our welders are instructed to do unless the member is being galvanized.  Then and only then do we we wrap, and we pay very close attention to notches possibly created by wrapping.  Also, per D1.1, when fillet welds occur on opposite sides of a common plane, welds are required to be "interrupted" at the corner common to both welds.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-23-2014 11:52
Took me a minute....  This is one of those things that never gets the attention it deserves...

Synonyms:

1.  Wrap the weld  (Non-standard)

2    End Return  (AWS)

3.  Boxing Technique  (CWB)

Here is a pretty darned good article discussing end returns in the context of D1.1
http://weldingdesign.com/processes/news/fillet-weld-termination-0309

CWB W59.1  actually has illustrations and a GLOSSARY definition of the boxing technique  (Fig E14e) ... Something that AWS A3.0 does not.

D1.1 speaks to End returns in 2.4.2.1  and 2.9.3.3
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-23-2014 12:12
Good article.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-26-2014 10:44
Thanks Lawrence.  Guess I'm guilty of not giving end returns enough attention.  Very informative article.  I wish I could see the figures.
Tyrone
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 05-27-2014 06:55
Lawrence,

forgive this "European stereotype"* fellow his ignorance but as "wrapping" appears to be a "non-standard" term, what does it actually mean?
The attempt to understand took me definitely more than a minute but I confess - I failed.
Also, neither the linked article, nor the standard terms(?) ("End Return"/"Boxing Technique") brought any real insight to what it might stand for.
Somehow that reminds me of this - interesting - 'sealing run' discussion.

Thanks.

*) Couldn't resist. :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-27-2014 12:47 Edited 05-27-2014 14:09
AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code/Steel uses the term End Return. In years past the terms "boxing" and "wrapping" were used by various people. As is the usual case, the use of nonstandard terminology can result in misunderstandings between the people attempting to communicate. The sketch below depicts a typical end return as defined by AWS D1.1.

Per clause 2.3.4, end returns, when required, shall be specified by the Engineer. It does not say the welder cannot use them. Clause 2.9.3 defines how fillet welds can be terminated. The subjects include hold back dimensions for lapped joints subject to tension, end returns, transverse stiffeners, opposite sides of a common plane, and fillet welds in holes.

My take on clause 2.9.3.4 is that the issue only relates to built-up girders, i.e., one that has  flange and web members fabricated from plate, not a hot rolled member.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 05-27-2014 13:16
A picture paints a thousand words.
I gratefully acknowledge your response.

Also, I agree on the terminology subject.
It therefore becomes twice as important as if there's somebody left showing the competence, the willingness and the friendliness to "translate".

And finally.
No. The advertisement could not answer my question.

Thanks and regards.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-27-2014 13:19
:smile: Al
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-27-2014 13:43
Thanks for that! I admit to being somewhat confused before your explanation!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-27-2014 13:50
Since it's a non-standard term... I hesitate to pronounce a meaning.

But I think most folks look at "wrapping" a weld to be an end return with the weld proceeding around a corner slightly beyond the plane designated by the weld symbol.

Edit:  I made an attachment but Al's is better..

Done  :)
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 05-27-2014 14:33
Thank you.

Just to explain.
My first thought, reading "wrap", was some sort of covering the weld to maybe affect cooling.
Some sort of "European" style thinking even. :)

Also, sure you're right.
Al's drawing is top-notch and certainly hard to beat.
Thanks again for responding.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-27-2014 23:40
Thanks for the article Lawrence.  It has several worthwhile points on stresses caused by notches when wrapping is not done correctly. 

Great illustration and further explanation Al.  As usual.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 05-30-2014 14:25
This simple concept has caused me a lot of trouble over the years....

Mostly, the term "wrapping", in my experience, has been in reference to completing fillet welds around the end of a plate gusset.
The answer to the OP's question is a murky "Only if you're supposed to."
Some shops have a standard rule "Always wrap your welds whether it's called out on the drawing or not", based on sealing a joint for corrosion protection or Supervisor's opinion.
Some Engineers have definate dislike for "wrapping" welds in some cases because doing so creates a path for a centerline weld crack to follow completely around a part, rather than stopping at the end of a particular fillet weld, like in an ABS lifting eye.
I had a case a while back where the welder had wrapped welds around the end of gussets, as he had been trained to always do on a previous job. The picky customer in this case did specifically not want these welds wrapped and would not accept the product, even if the wrapped welds were removed, due to cosmetic repair issues.

Whenever this question comes up I refer to the "MILTDD" rule (Make It Like The Damn Drawing).

(Sketch attached for clarity)

Tim
Attachment: Wrap.docx (42k)
Attachment: Untitled.jpg (17k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wrapping a weld