Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Inconel 625
- - By marktski (**) Date 05-14-2014 12:26
It's a lovely morning here in the Milwaukee area.
Does anyone have insight or tips to welding Inconel 625 to 8630 material?
We need to do an overlay approx' 1/2" thick into a V-groove in 8630 material.
We are looking at a Tig layer, and Mig or Pulsed Mig for the remainder. I
would love to hear from anyone with insight and tips.

Notice: Prolonged exposure to the Son, may prevent burning!
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-14-2014 13:57
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-15-2014 05:32
1) Don't use pulse... "The formation of interpass position swirls was promoted when using pulsed parameters and intra-pass position swirls were exacerbated by using constant current conditions... Overall, the formation of swirls was facilitated by the lower heat input parameters...

The use of constant current parameters minimised the perturbations caused during welding and led to the formation of fewer intrapass swirls Constant current parameters resulted in fewer intra-pass swirls, although their presence was not eliminated entirely, and lower heat input tended to promote the formation of inter-pass swirls exhibiting martensite laths (Zone M)...

2) Read this: "Increasing the heat input seems to be the best way to minimize the formation of swirls and mitigate the formation of martensite region... The complete elimination of swirls seems unlikely... However, moving to a lower carbon forging would seem to offer the most practical means of reducing the consequence of martensite in swirl positions, both by reducing hardness and ensuring a chemistry that is tempered during PWHT..."

3) "To summarize, lower heat input would improved the susceptibility to hydrogen embrittlement by producing a less susceptible microstructure at the dissimilar interface....
On the other hand, it would promote the formation of swirls of partially diluted steel penetrating into the weld metal, favourable to martensite formation...

This would impair the performance of the dissimilar interface... The dissimilar combination 8630M/625 has a high susceptibility to hydrogen embrittlement and the problem cannot be eliminated by controlling the welding parameters... Employing a lower carbon content forging has important benefits as no martensite would form at intra and inter-pass position and the formation of Zone Φ could be controlled by the welding parameters...

Some work carried out at TWI demonstrated that MIG welding could produce a Ni-rich Zone Φ and its environmental performance is being established..."

The following conclusions are drawn:

1. The hydrogen embrittlement resistance of subsea dissimilar joints depends on three primary factors:
(i) material selection, (ii) butter welding procedure, (iii) postweld heat treatment. Each of these governs the microstructure and chemistry across the dissimilar interface and unless specifically modified to take hydrogen embrittlement into account, can lead to a joint susceptible to environmental failure.

2. Two microstructural zones dominate fracture path in environmental tests: Zone Φ; a hard, carbon-supersaturated, austenitic, solid solution immediately adjacent to the fusion boundary, which fails by cleavage; and zone M, which contains martensite in highly-diluted weld material particularly at swirls of diluted steel penetrating into the butter deposit.

3. The present work demonstrated the difficulty of eliminating both Zone Φ and Zone M, simultaneously in arc welded butter deposits. Zone Φ could be eliminated by employing a low arc energy. However, Zone M, could only be limited by employing high arc energy. Thus, the elimination of a susceptible microstructure at the dissimilar interface, at least between 8630M and alloy 625 butter deposits, could not be prevented by modifying welding parameters alone.

4. Hydrogen embrittlement resistance was improved by using low temperature PWHT, limiting the carbon-supersaturation of Zone Φ.

5. The best environmental performance was obtained for a friction welded dissimilar joint given a PWHT of 10 hours at 1100F, achieved by a combination of the elimination of Zones Φ and M, and the mitigation of carbon diffusion during PWHT."

Btw, Great article Scott! It pretty much spells it out for you Marktski.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By marktski (**) Date 05-15-2014 12:14
I absolutely agree!!! Some of the content was above my head, but there was a lot of good information.
Specialty metals also has some info on their web site about welding Inconel with different processes.
That's what I love; Ask and ye shall receive.
Parent - - By rshanks (**) Date 05-15-2014 13:44
Specialty Metals -NiCrMo-14- 686CPT, Hard to beat
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-21-2014 23:06
What kind of spaceship are you building in Milwaukee anyway?
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-22-2014 04:45
thank you stringer,
but told to stay pretty out till
I get my new med's
Kent
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-23-2014 01:28
Dang what a sick combination..........oh well if you need metal applicators give me a shout.  I got plenty of clearances.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-25-2014 07:52
Tommy
shop work it sounds like
but you could give Mark a shout and sure he needs good welders on this job
and business tip, take the rig go stay on the outskirts
it is good weather
and pick farm work up on the side
sure Lawrence aka farmcode can give all the knowledge you need:wink::lol:
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-26-2014 21:22
I'm pretty sure Lawrence AKA Farm Code is the only guy in the room who has welded on an actual space ship :)
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-27-2014 18:33 Edited 05-27-2014 18:35
When I worked at Aerojet many of our pieces were space worthy, we built a lot of the attitude adjustment thrusters (or whatever they are officially called) for satellites and ICBMS, also did parts for SpaceX and some of the other commercial spaceflight companies.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-27-2014 18:49
Yeah,, But you weren't in the room  :)

I worked at Aerojet in Sacramento back in the 80's on Titan Launch Vehicles, Shuttle stuff and some Proto Scramjet environment chambers..

The liquid rocket tests were events that are forever burned into my memory

Edit:   I witnessed water tests for thrusters    Lots o pressure  :)
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-29-2014 02:23
very cool, I actually never made it up to the Sacramento HQ before I quit.  I was working at a satellite facility in the LA area that usually did solid rocket motors. For various reasons it was an absolutely terrible place to work at.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-29-2014 07:45
Lawrence.
does doing the prototype and making the fixtures count???????????:eek::wink:
then getting told by the old timers make some more fixtures
you do not weld fast enough:eek:
story of my life:wink::lol:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-26-2014 19:54
I have a couple as well!:cool:
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-27-2014 19:01
I worked at Area 51 on alien biological evacuation facilitators. Wanna talk about critical pressurization.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-28-2014 03:58
Lawrence  do you remember Paul Aul*   ....he was last doing the e-beam on the big tables before he left there.  Very good tig hand...great sense of humor.

Edit:   I may have the wrong facility...right company.  Did they do the boosters in San Diego?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-28-2014 12:27
I was in Northern California at the Aerojet compound near Sacramento and Folsom... They did so many different things there... Lots of cool hush stuff back in the 80's.

I worked for a couple of different subcontractors and mostly in secluded places, so I did not get to know any of the Aerojet craftsmen beyond the ones that lived in my neighborhood at the time.  (they were a big employer)

I did liquid hydrogen lines for a couple of different rocket projects.  Also we worked on construction of an environmental chamber to mimic conditions at Mach 7 and 100,000 feet for materials testing on Scramjet flight control surfaces.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-29-2014 12:21
I helped build the worlds biggest ice cream machine.
Still have the T-shirt.  :grin:
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 05-29-2014 12:40
Let me guess. It was made of 2205.
No offence - just trying to be funny (I was recommended to take life not too serious).
Btw, excellent explanations provided by yourself along this Duplex post.
Always learning something new here.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-29-2014 13:02
Everybody know that ice cream machines are made of Inconel 718  

Cause it can be HIP  :)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-29-2014 13:05
electrode,
Your fine. :smile:
Nope, just 304 and 316 as needed, and lots of carbon steel such as for the ammonia refrigerant lines.
1 million gallons of ice cream as well as bon bons and popsicle machines pumping out hundreds of thousands of units per hour.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 05-29-2014 13:16
LOL!
Also on the ALLOY 718.
Sure that ice cream would cost a number in order to redeem the fabrication cost...
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-30-2014 02:53
Just thought I would ask.... I know k's of employees at a facility.   I think all that booster shell stuff was in San Diego.   I know the better folks ended up watching/programming the ebeam run.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Inconel 625