Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / All the way around symbol
- - By Harman (*) Date 06-09-2014 19:25
I have all the way around symbol posted on a C channel, does it mean that I have weld on both sides of C channel ?
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 06-09-2014 20:13
Yes.  All the way around means outside flanges, inside flanges, outside web, inside web, and flange toes.... i.e., continuous weld on the inside profile of the channel and continuous weld on the outside profile of the channel.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-09-2014 23:54
On first glance I agree with Scott.

BUT, since we can't see and don't know the joint configuration, the weld type, or any other of several variables it may be a bit premature to just say 'YES'.  It would really be nice to have a picture or sketch of the exact welding symbol.  At least more description to help us 'see' what you have. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 06-10-2014 11:37
Good point about joint configuration.  My response was based on the end of the channel being welded.  I don't know about other codes, but for fillet welds, D1.1 doesn't allow them to be tied together when they're on opposite sides of a common plane.  They have to be interrupted.  I don't know why this didn't occur to me during my initial post because last month we had some C4 x 5.4 x 2'-0" outrigger channels on HSS 6 X 6 galvanized columns that had this very situation.  The back of the channel web was in contact with the face of the HSS.  Contrary to D1.1, we had to seal them anyway, while paying very close attention to avoid any undercut that could occur from welding across opposite sides.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / All the way around symbol