Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Skydiving!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-19-2014 17:26
Has anybody been? I'm looking into a place near me, Veteran owned and I'm ready to jump! Actually considering doing the whole course, what will I do when I am a certified nut? Enjoy it I guess! Who's taken the leap?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-19-2014 20:26
Shawn,

Just don't tell us you are planning to jump off one of those towers with a parachute!!!  :eek: 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-19-2014 21:40
Actually some of us have said that a reserve chute should be part of our PPE in case of an Oh poop!!! emergency situation where you needed to bail extra fast.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-19-2014 21:46
Just don't get hung up in the cables.

BB
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-20-2014 08:08
Never been but always thought it would be a blast.
2 problems associated with it
A) I always thought my intense desire to NOT FALL off the iron might be an impediment to jumping out of a perfectly good plane.
B) Cannot get into the whole tandem thing.
This could be the next best thing though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5jR7Y2PBZM

Hang gliding, bungee jumping, oh when/where does the fun end?
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-20-2014 12:31
Awesome!
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-20-2014 12:58
If I survived something like that I would need some clean clothes.
M.G.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-20-2014 22:21
Valid points but can honestly see myself launching from the door, "BANZAIIIII!!!!!!!"

The tandem jump is the first jump, test run, see if you want to commit. After that it's 8 more jumps and training, all singles with either one or two instructors always by your side. The 8th and final jump you go by yourself.

Yeah, the tandem is......but, we'll be going like a rocket ship from haydes so won't even be thinking about it!!
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-21-2014 12:08
I've never been, but I always figured that if I did, I'd take a welding lead/stinger with me as a safety feature because it would be bound to get hung up somewhere on the way down...
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 07-21-2014 00:36
It was almost 40 years ago but I think it was 36 jumps, all static line, some at night. Its a young mans game, but pretty exciting. go for it.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 08-07-2014 14:33
After falling off the iron at 120'. Jerking 40' of slack out of the life line and the sudden stop forced by a 6' piece of nylon rope attached to a d ring sewed into a nylon safety belt carrying 3 spud wrenches ( 1 1/4" 1 7/16" 1 5/8") 2 bull pins and a 6 lb beater. Bruised from the middle if my thighs to the middle of my chest. I think I'll stand on the ground and just watch. Jump I'll catch you lol.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 08-07-2014 14:47
I've done two civilian jumps in my life.  The first one was just me wanting to know if I had the balls to do it.  The second jump was just me wanting to know, if I had satisfied my need to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-21-2014 00:33
It all fun until that last bump at the end of the fall.

Al:cool:
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-21-2014 14:54 Edited 07-21-2014 15:28
You don't really need a parachute to skydive.  You only need one if you plan to skydive more than one time.  I’ve heard that a parachute actually has two parachutes in it and if the first one fails, then there’s a second one.  They say that the second one never fails.  If that’s true, why don’t they just open the second one first?  The other question I have, is, do skydivers who buy their own parachute keep the receipt in case it ends up being faulty? What’s the point? Even if it is returned, what are they going to do with it? Send it back to the shop for repairs, tag it “slightly used, slightly stained” and try to sell it as "refurbished"?  Skydiving is actually on my "100 things to do before I die" list.  It was 88th on my list until after I installed a ceiling mirror in my bedroom.  I fell asleep one night during sex and when I woke up it looked like I was being attacked by a naked skydiver.  Later on I moved it down to the last thing on my list after I recreated the danger of a parachute jump by visiting Google Earth and clicking the scroll bar until I hit the ground.  I was wearing a crash helmet, goggles, a jumpsuit, and my daughter’s Dora the Explorer backpack. I put my face as close to the screen as I could, and I even put a fan in front of me and turned it to the highest setting to re-create the extreme wind velocity.  It was absolutely unnerving.  For those of you who have never parachuted, I highly recommend trying this.  Just don’t do like I did and forget to turn the fan oscillator off.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-21-2014 15:00
Like!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-21-2014 17:47
Too Funny Scotty!!!:lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::yell::twisted::yell::twisted::yell::lol::wink::cool:

I "Skydive" every morning just to get out of bed!:grin::wink::eek::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 07-22-2014 01:02
People always have the option to return the faulty parachute, sometimes it for a gift certificate for another jump.
- - By Paladin (***) Date 07-22-2014 01:34
Approaching my 50th birthday I casually mentioned to my future wife that I THOUGHT about skydiving on my 50th birthday.
Well, for my birthday she presented two tickets to tandem jump at a near skydiving outfit.
I immediately got a sick feeling in my stomach. I was just talking, you know, just talking, not all that serious.

Ok, what the hell, lets do it.

On the way to the skydive shop, we passed a funeral in progress. Seemed like a bit of an omen.

Suited up and paid for someone to video our jump, future wife and I.
I looked like a condemned man walking out to the the plane, slumped over, head down, walking slow. Not good.

When the time came to jump out of the plane I went on my own, not pushed. Took a lot of faith in the pro tied to me.

Can't say I enjoyed it. I was REAL glad when the chute opened. I did not find under the canopy all that peaceful either.
Happy, happy, happy, to get back on the ground.

We had to sit down and drink a coke to settle down after.

I've thought about trying it again. But I ain't saying nothing about it.

Floyd
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 07-22-2014 01:55
If I HAD to do it I would. If I did not NEED to do it, the Meanest drill sergeant would break His legs trying to get MY friction welded fingers out of the holes they punched through the door frame.:grin:
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-06-2014 00:12
I don't thinks so....

HOWEVER  I have been wanting to sign up here for quite a while.

http://aircombat.com/

or

http://www.skycombatace.com/

There use to be one called Skyfighters that traveled the country but I reckon the movie folks bought their name or something.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Skydiving!