Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The grand experiment.
- - By unclematt (***) Date 07-28-2014 21:20
Hello;
Well, my time with a CWI is at an end. With my medical problems, I have surpassed the gap between working in the field. It was one of my proudest accomplishments obtaining my CWI but figured out a few things since. One: It is difficult taking the hood off and becoming a CWI without some immersion in the quality side beforehand; most importantly paperwork. I spent all my welding life with a hood on and happy not to talk to the higher-ups. I wanted to be left alone, let me do my twelve, and go home. Two: I am not higher-up material. There is too much BS and politics to put up with. I am not real social by nature. I am friendly but its hard for me to talk to folks. I should have taken this in account before the time and money expenditure; which I did , but thought I could learn as I went. I was wrong. Three: I am a do'er not a teller. If something needs doing, I would rather do it myself than tell some else to do it. Guess I have my Dad to thank for that. He would never ask for help. Time has eased that a bit now. I think, as I read in another thread, that some type of preparatory course or something would greatly increase or at least smooth the transition from welder to CWI. Maybe I am by myself and it was just hard for me to adjust. I don't know. I do want to thank you folks for the help you gave me; especially Superflux. He helped me out a lot when I was in Utah. I know I could take Part B before my license expires but I honestly believe it is not for me. My goal when I started all this surgery stuff was to get a hood back on but it is not looking likely. I've had five surgeries in two years and looks like I've got another to go. To all the young welders out there; if you got a crane, use it. The old timers told me I'd regret throwing all that pipe and steel on my shoulder and toting it to the other side of the shop. Older folks are pretty smart. Thanks for all the information you kind folks volunteered. I have learned a lot from the forum. I'll still read and learn.

Matt
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-28-2014 23:30
Matt,

Will be praying for your surgeries and recovery.  Hope you are truly comfortable with your decision.  You are right, it isn't for everyone.  No job is. 

Don't be a stranger.  Keep us updated.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-29-2014 14:36
Matt,

May the Lord bless you and keep you.  I pray that the Lord continues to be gracious to you, blesses you through another surgery, while giving you peace.  When a train goes through a dark tunnel, we don’t throw away the ticket and jump off the train.  We sit still and trust the engineer.  Make no mistake about it.  God loves you.  He will go before you.  He will strengthen you.  He will guide you.  He will provide for you.  He will delight in you.  He will be with you.  He will answer you.  He will bless you.  And He will give you rest.   I pray only for the best for you in your situation.  Please let us know how things are going as you progress through it.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 07-29-2014 21:16
Hello;
Thanks to you all for the kind words. I just got back from having an MRI. Will have to wait til Thursday to find out the results. From the EMG that I have already taken, there is active damage being done to the cervical spine nerves. Most like it is a thing that happened over time but have been working with it for over ten years. I imagine all the four-wheeler and car wrecks didn't help just like football and other stuff done as a kid didn't help. Hope you and your's are doing well.

Have a good one;
Matt.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 07-31-2014 11:03
Good luck Matt.
You missed Four:  Share your knowledge and help everyone to excel.

You've certainly accomplished this through your posts on this forum. 
Look forward to more of your insights.
Tyrone
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-31-2014 23:58
Unless your plan for the rest of you life is to be the night shift security guard at a insane asylum, maybe you need to re-assess what your skills are.
Face it, you are not going to be a top hand welder any more. Sorry, but the eye hand coordination required goes with age and self inflicted body damage. Sometimes both.
You are datgum right. It IS hard to take the hood off and learn being a CWI.
The things you say you are not comfortable with are skills. Just like welding. Don't like being around people?
Sorry buck, tough chit. Want to make more $$ than wrangling buggies at Walmart?
Do a few weeks at Toastmasters.
Looks like you are going to have the time. You can learn to talk to strangers and sell in your recovery time.
Do some public speaking or teach Sunday School. Be the introductory speaker at the monthly coven virgin sacrifice.
You have spent your whole life going alone. You wrecked your body by not taking help from others.
It appears you have skills. Pass them down. To die without passing along what you have learned is a selfish act. But gee, you may have to talk to someone and show them something. Well mister lonesome, get over it. You have a new life ahead of you.
There are people who have faced much more than you have.
Buddy, you can still WALK!
You can brush your own teeth.
GEZ, you earned a CWI! And it is still current.
What are YOU gonna do?
Polish or reinvent yourself.
You get some down time.
Use it wisely.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 08-05-2014 17:35
dbigkahunna;
Thanks for taking the time to give me the advice. It is appreciated and welcomed.

Have a good one;
Matt
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2014 18:46
Many CWIs ease into the position by working at it part time. They take a job as a CWI and then go back to welding for a bit between CWI engagements. Eventually they make the transition to CWI when the timing and the position is right.

If you have problems with your health, the CWI isn't a bad gig, but few CWI positions include medical coverage.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-30-2014 12:28
Matt all I can say is that may God Bless you and be with your family through this time of need.

M.G.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-30-2014 12:52
Matt,

I've been in my share of car wrecks too.  I remember one wreck in particular.  I’d heard about other accounts of it and about the rush of adrenaline, but it actually happened to me where I ended up tapping into a source of superhuman strength that I never thought possible. My first wife was driving my brand new car when she had a wreck.  She wasn't focused because she was too busy nagging me about never listening to her, or maybe it was something else.  I wasn’t really paying attention, and to this day I still don’t know what she was talking about.  Anyway, we crashed.  My first thought was immediately trying to remember if I’d deleted my internet history, just in case I didn’t make it.  I finally managed to pull myself together, gather up all my cd’s and get out before my new car caught on fire.  There wasn’t enough time to do everything that needed to be done, and unfortunately, my wife ended up being trapped inside.  I've had priority issues in the past, and in fact, the wife had been nagging me about that a few days earlier.  On that day, despite what was going on around me, for once in my life, I finally had my priorities in order.  Then the superhuman strength kicked in and I managed to fight off the three firemen who tried to free her.  I’ll never forget having to go see her afterwards.  She was still smoking from the wreck.  As I fanned the smoke, I was eventually able to see her face and I slapped her so hard, she rolled right off the coroner’s table.  If she had just listened to me.  Days before the accident, I kept telling her that she's not allowed to leave the kitchen, but she insisted on learning to drive.  After all that had happened, I failed to realize the extent of my injuries and I ended up having extensive plastic surgery to get the smile off my face.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-30-2014 12:56 Edited 07-30-2014 13:01
You are a bad one Mr. Scottn! :lol:

I learned long ago that contractors general prefer young healthy workers. They shy away from the old, broken down welders. It pays to take care of your body while it is still in good shape. The bones and muscle never heal as good as they were before the injury. When teaching apprentices I always made it a point to stress that it was important to let the machines do the heavy lifting. Manual lifting was a solution of last resort.

Al
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 07-30-2014 13:23
Hello;
That is the truth. That what all the old timers told me at the time but I was to pig headed at the time to listen. Trying to make a showing for the boss. With all that I did, it didn't matter. I wasn't a tail kisser. Thought my work would put me ahead. As with a lot of things, I was wrong.

Thanks;
Matt
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 07-30-2014 13:12
That is a good one SCOTTN. I believe there is a movie where Clint Eastwood says something similar: " A man has to have his priorities ". Maybe Josey Wales? Or is it he has to know his limitations? Anyway, I always enjoy reading you posts. They bring a laugh when one needs one. You have a gift sir.

Thanks;
Matt
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-30-2014 14:58
Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry- Magnum Force; a man's got to know his limitations.

Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-30-2014 15:10
I was always rather partial to the first one: I know what you're thinkin', did he fire six shots or just five.  Well, this is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, so you gotta ask yourself, is it worth it?  Well punk, is it?  Go ahead, MAKE MY DAY.

Each of the movies had a repeated line that was classic. 

Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-30-2014 13:17
I can hear him laugh Scott from where I'm setting you made his day.

M.G
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-30-2014 13:31
Clint Eastwood is my favorite actor but over the years he caused a lot of arguments in my house.  The wife was always on my case for watching his movies, but I'd rather watch him rather than to have to listen to the bad and the ugly.  I still don't know what to think about him talking to an empty chair at the US Republican Congress.  I know he's denied having Alzheimer's.  I think he actually told reporters that he knew it was a piece of furniture, and that he was just warning it not to vote for President Eisenhower.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The grand experiment.