Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thanks to AWS and Contributors for a Great Resource
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2014 18:54
You know, it has been a while, but while talking to some inspectors this morning I was reminded how much I appreciate this forum and am thankful to all who participate on any and all levels.

The level of expertise, knowledge, practical application that is present here is beyond compare.

We may have differences of opinions, applications, interpretations, etc from time to time but where else can you go to get the vast resources available here and get responses in such a quick manner.  And interact with one another. 

Al, Allen, Lawrence, Henry, Scott, Shane (hopefully), Glyn, electrode, Stan, Tommy, John, John, John, (boy this is tiring), JT (another John), Wade, Cactus, Martin, Jordan, Josh, Len, Milton, Jeff, Newbies and Golden Oldies, absolutely everyone.  And I know, as soon as I post this more names will pop into my head.  I don't mean to leave anyone out, even those who only ask questions.  I am thankful for each and every one of you more than I can possibly express here.  We have thousands of participants so I can't possibly name them all.  Forgive me that.

I have met some face to face, talked to some on the phone, exchanged emails with some beyond the time here on the forum itself.  All very good and rewarding.  We don't have to be perfectly alike in order to fellowship around a common interest.

It is those questions asked by newbies as well as oldies that spark discussion, research, challenge our stands and reasoning, keep our minds sharp and make us evaluate and re-evaluate our position(s).

This forum has made me keep a code book in front of me much more than I would have if I didn't have a thirst for finding out answers and knowing how to apply the codes to the inspections I am asked to do and in the process answer someone else's questions about code and/or any welding issue.

And regardless of many differences many have with certain policies,  I'm thankful that AWS thinks this a good venue and worth putting out part of our dues and book revenues to maintain. 

Thanks everyone for the opportunity to hone my own skills and be of whatever limited benefit I may be to help you hone yours as well.  Thanks for being here for me. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-26-2014 20:41
I agree.  This continues to be the website to go to with questions about codes, welding, etc.  There is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience on this great site.  The posts and responses are from some of the most knowledgeable individuals in the business, and these individuals are genuinely interested in helping others.  Their unique expertise has helped me to increase my knowledge, and for that I am very grateful.   Thanks again to all of you who contribute your time and your knowledge to this great site!
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-27-2014 00:19
I agree also this is the place to go if you have a question about welding. All the people here will go out of there way to help and there is a lot of knowledgeable and trustworthy people here to.

M.G.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-27-2014 17:51
The "General Section" of this forum has been my go-to resource for over a dozen years. No doubt I've read at least 95% of the postings.
I would like to thank all members/participants for their contributions.
I've never not had a question completely answered to my satisfaction and usually the initial query opened up more questions due to the responses.

Reading this forum is a sort of "Continuing Education" for me. Skimming over all the posts daily keeps my mind wrapped up in the welding world and further research for casual entertainment (guess I'm kinda a welding geek).
The majority of my work has been ASME and API related however, this forum has kept my D1.1 book(s) handy and I've learned a great deal about the structural world.
Keep it up folks and thanks again for all the help and entertainment.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-27-2014 18:05
DITTO THAT!!!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-30-2014 13:17
I have to second the statement "...beyond compare..." . The content, peer review, and desire to share is unmatched in ANY other welding related forum.

I have piddled with other online resources but really feel this is the one where the people who are truly interested in advancing the art and science of welding gather.

Gerald
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 08-30-2014 17:04 Edited 09-13-2014 12:29
Brent,
if I was that one "electrode", thank you.

I could agree with many statements put along this thread; I struggle though yet in getting a picture of what this forum really is.
You know. These silly battles between US and foreign, in my perception rather regular than exceptional if someone from beyond the pond does state something that does not meet the "US Philosophy", are exhausting. For me, the simple reason to keep quiet - although there are some topics which I would really love commenting on.
Exactly that is the point. At least for me, each time one's trying again, one can bet one fails. Either the posts's are ignored or whatever. It simply fails raising a discussion complying with:

'Suaviter in modo fortiter in re - Gentle in manner, resolute in execution'.

Do you mean that's possible - someday?

I've joined AWS many years ago, inspired by what's stated upon its Journals's front page"... advance the science, technology, and application of welding and allied joining and cutting processes worldwide..."

Like I said. I'm yet heavily trying to understand how this forum - agreed being unique in the whole welding world - really works.
E.g. yourself. I do consider you an open minded individual and expert. Each time I could read a response from you it proved valuable to me. I could regularly learn - even if it was (exceptionally) different to my own opinion as when it came to technical aspects.

I do certainly not intend to become a yeasayer in these my thankfully older days, just for being fashion "liked" by some (excuse my French) self-appointed omniscient ones.
If this can be accepted; then I suppose, some sort of real, strong and healthy relationship may come to grow.

Thanks and regards.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-30-2014 22:16
Rod,,??

I don't think I ever knew your name.  I know there are some that for company reasons don't disclose identity.  While I like to know names, I don't push people to reveal names anymore.  But when used, I try to remember them.  As my recent encounter with Stan.

Yes, I did mean you.  As I have gotten to know more about our fellow members around the world, you, Glyn, Joey, Shane-though currently gone, and others, plus did some limited travelling to England, Ireland, and Canada, I have discovered many things that are common yet expressed so differently.  I believe I have been changed for the better by these opportunities. 

But, regardless of those differences, all of you have much to offer here as well.  2 + 2 = 4.  Well, the same with welding, it's science, math, practical applications, many though not all codes, etc.  It is the same in any language.  And, as AWS has begun a much broader publication and distribution of it's codes around the world in multiple languages we see more people coming here for help.  Sometimes difficult to understand but still wanting help and teaching.

Am I one to do it?  Maybe at times.  But so are you, Glyn, Shane, Joey, and all the others who check in here on occasion from around the world. 

It is hard enough to converse with fellow Americans with different ways of expressing themselves, let alone with other cultures, languages, dialects, and a variety of educations and experiences.  And I personally have made a good many mistakes in how I have handled some of those.  You are still an asset to this forum. 

I try not to get as worked up over people's different experiences and personal opinions as when, as you say, the battle begins.  And I know it is hard to read attitude and other things into a post over the internet, but honest, I try not to offend even while passionately defending my stands, interpretations, and applications of experience and education.  You will not see any of my posts done with total bold text or total capital letters which signify 'yelling' or whatever else.  I can try to explain myself and end up on a different side from you and still consider you a friend and an asset but especially a valuable part of this forum. 

I would honestly hope I have never come across as omniscient nor omnisapient (all knowing nor all wise).  I am far from it.  I try to make an accurate application of the code applicable to the question at hand.  And, I have been corrected, challenged, and chastised for some of my positions.  I have learned from all of them even if my stand is still the same for some. 

I am in slight agreement with the stand that it is the American Welding Society.  BUT the AWS has a much broader influence and reputation that cannot be ignored and is becoming a training, testing, and support group with a world wide acceptance. 

That means that we are definitely going to be faced with those from around the world asking for help and needing us to know how to respond not just with our own egocentric knowledge, skills, etc but in a way that they can understand.  We all know how slow advancement and change can be.  Third World countries and over the pond countries with advanced technology are not LOWER than us.  In some ways, not BEHIND us.  They are depending on us.  We need to lead the way with patience, humility, meekness, and be willing to learn from them and you.  Don't take that wrong, we are not always the ones leading.  But when the world is accepting our codes and come here for help, they need to be able to put aside their egos (just as we do) and learn from us as the ones who developed the codes with science to back it up.

Posts being ignored, I have had plenty of those.  But if others don't notice or respond to what we took time and great care to post, oh well.  I have to look at it like I do some of my Bible teaching at church, if they want to listen, learn, change, apply and get closer to God- GREAT.  If not, it is between them and God.  Like God told the prophet Samuel when Israel demanded he give them a king, they are not rejecting you, THEY ARE REJECTING ME.  Just because I am not noticed is no reason to jump back in and say, why aren't you reading and responding to my post?  It happens.  People are busy.  They skim threads and only respond to one or two things.  Oh well. 

Rod, I do mean everyone when I said it above.  You are an important part of this forum and the learning we are all still doing.  Don't give up on us because of perceived problems.  Even when you, Henry, Glyn and others (myself) have gotten into it over something.  I HAVE LEARNED. 

Take for instance the Wormelis disagreement.  I am still learning from that as a recent thread of the same general topic will reveal.

I'm rambling.  Hope I actually understood you and answered in a way that you can understand me.

Parent - By electrode (***) Date 08-31-2014 08:56
Brent,

"Hope I actually understood you and answered in a way that you can understand me.".

Yes.

Thank you!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-01-2014 20:11
I resent that remark Brent (Just Kidding:wink::lol:)... You got all wrong buddy!:grin::lol::wink: Me and Electrode & Glyn are pals nowadays and Glyn keeps posting so much stuff on face book for me to get rid of because it's just too much to have on my page... Nantong and I are getting along with each other these days, and we commonly share our affinity for a television series from the past about the US submarine force in the Pacific during WWII...  Maybe we didn't get along at one time or another but at the very least, I'm over that sort of stuff...

Finally, need I remind everyone that despite our differences, we have much more in common and I believe that outweighs the differences.
So enough with all this "knit picking" crap, and for those who hold grudges and stay bitter, they are only stifling themselves from moving forward with their lives.:smile::grin::lol:

Oh man, I almost forgot... If anyone doesn't like my use of the emoticons in my posts well, too bad! If you have a complaint about having emoticons then take it up with the moderators because as far as I'm concerned, they are a feature of the forum software that is here to be used... So I choose to use them...:surprised::roll::grin::smile:
And yet some are reading way too much into them.:razz::roll::lol::yell::grin::smile::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-02-2014 01:18
Henry,

I know that, it has been a long time since there were the types of discourses that got more than a little emotional.  And I realize that often the problem would come from others outside the circle who took up offenses for one or the other without cause because it often wasn't the type of issue they thought it was. 

But there was a time when you guys would really go at it.  I was only using that time period as an example that we Americans have not always been as patient, kind, longsuffering, polite, etc as we could and should have been.  And I am definitely included in that comment.  I have been more than a little short with people who did not deserve it.  Or answered in a less than polite manner or at least left my communications open to misunderstandings. 

My main point being to Rod that we all need to pool together and work together as an international team.  AWS is not just about Americans anymore.  Welding is an international brotherhood, profession, science, and opens opportunities around the world to all of us. 

Anyway, best wishes for the rest of your Labor Day Henry, and everyone else.

Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 08-30-2014 18:55
I agree, this forum rocks. I've been coming since '04 and have always found value and comfort. Sometimes as CWI we feel alone and against the world, even though we are trying to help we get kicked in the head for trying to do things right we must always remember to also do the right thing. This forum is my recharger, my continuing education, my resolution review.
Back in '07 Ross asked for some quotes about the forum.
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=61684
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-28-2014 00:37
Some of the questions really make me scratch my head and ponder how best to respond. Then, someone comes along, upsets the applecart and I have to reevaluate my position and thought process. They make me consider other perspectives. While it can be unsettling, in the long run, it is a good exercise and keeps me humble.

The bottom line is it never fails to enlighten and expand my horizons. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-28-2014 05:58 Edited 08-28-2014 13:21
This is my HOME!!! Well, my second one really but who's counting...:lol:

If it weren't for this forum being available for me to keep my head somewhat straight, I wouldn't be writing this now... During the multiple hospital vacations I had in the last few years and even shortly after my liver transplant, I came to the forum to sometimes escape from the worrying of how I would be able to pay for all the bills and co-payments for my liver transplant, my multiple hospitalizations over the years following and I always managed to find some way to get them paid even if I had to go back to work part time or even full time until I could no longer do so... These last few bills and co-payments are so overwhelming for me to settle up and it worries me...

I'm going to have to do something because they're piling up too high for me to look @ the screen anymore... I decided to put them somewhere else for the time being until I can figure out what to do... I have been considering fundraising but, I'm going to have to find somebody to help with that because it's too much for me to do alone... However, miracles have happened for me more than once and I know that the Lord will find a way to help me in my time of need as he always has...

This place has become a place of fellowship for me because where else could I find a place to really connect with other folks like myself and discuss, debate, learn, and hopefully share what has been my passion ever since I was Eight years young (Are you reading this Hillbilly?) which will always be my passion until the day I pass on from this world...
Yep, Welding and fabrication technology, metallurgy and anything else related to metal working is what I'm talking about! It's what keeps me sane!

The fellowship I have experienced in this sanctuary I call "Home" has been a life saver for me, it's also been a great place to find humor either from some of the posters, especially from Scotty and others, and in the Off Topic Bar & Grill, to feeling "weldcome" to participate in discussions of all sorts of welding related topics and finding joy in sharing something that might help folks as well as myself and to learn something new or more clearly than I had before!!!

The gratitude I have for the Lord having the wisdom to create this through his grace is indescribable for me as well as the gratitude I have for all of my colleagues I have in this forum, and you all know who you are so, I'm not going to mention anyone specific because I'll never finish my own thoughts about this place I call Home... Having said that, I apologize for not mentioning anyone specific because already by writing this, I'm starting to get distracted from what I'm attempting to elaborate further...

Anywho, We have had some doozies of discussions that ended up heated and creating animosity amongst some in here but after all is said and done, there isn't a person in here that I wouldn't be honored to call them a friend and colleague... There's a sense of community amongst us that's very powerful despite some of the changes that have occurred over the years in here, and each time I have been amazed how passionate we all are to keeping this place from becoming something else and less weldcome to our purpose, to our character, to our personality, to our spirit! And speaking of personalities, There are are many diverse characters besides myself from whom I have learned much from over the years when it comes to socializing as well as welding technology and Inspection since I started participating here many moons ago and I'm honored to know each and every one of you...

As some of you may notice that I don't participate like I used to when I was relatively more healthy and had the strength to do so... There was a time not too long ago when I was led to believe that my time on this earth was coming to a real end and for a moment, I accepted it and submitted to it... I then came to thinking one day that I'm not a quitter, and in changing of the way I looked and reflected back on my life, I started to think positively, and slowly but surely I got my defiance back! And what I mean by that is that through reflection, I remembered how the transplant doctors who initially evaluated me told me point blank that I only had at best, 5 years of life with my new liver...
And they added that I would be lucky if I even got that far! Back then I decided that I was going to defy their expectations of how my recovery would be and I was successful in doing so... At least until these other illnesses sprung up out of nowhere... However, like I said before... I got my DEFIANCE BACK!!! Yeah I know that I'm still in bad shape but, I also know that through prayer and defiance in my spirit towards the doctors expectations I will once again prove them wrong!!!:surprised::eek::lol::yell::lol::yell::twisted::wink:

So as I keep my pulmonary rehab appointments 3 times a week and my hyperbaric therapy every other day, I am now starting to see and feel some definite improvement in my overall condition... And with the Lords help, I will have excellent news soon from my biopsy results and other diagnostic tests also... And thanks to you folks, I will continue to keep on keeping on from your words of encouragement and your prayers! Now let's all P.U.S.H. (Pray Until Something Happens) for me so I can keep contributing to this wonderful repository of experience, knowledge, and wisdom where despite our sometimes whacky behavior - emits some distractions and confusion, we still have one heck of a fellowship going on in here from a very diverse bunch of members that I can say are my friends. Thank you all!

Respectfully, Well - for the most part,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-28-2014 12:21
I think I can speak for everyone here that we're glad to have you as a member of our community Henry.

We're pulling for you Henry.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-28-2014 12:32
Amen.
M.G.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-28-2014 21:33
best minds, best people in the world
all my best to everyone
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-28-2014 12:50
Henry,

As always, especially since I learned of your health needs, you are in my and my family's prayers. 

Thanks for the pics, I am one that likes to be able to put faces with names and posts.  I am going to put one where it will remind me to pray more often.

Thanks for all your participation and work in honing me.  Now more than ever you are a real encouragement to never give up, on anything.  Life, work, this forum, faith in a great God's love and faithfulness to provide for us, family.

He Is In Control beyond any of our ability to know or understand,
Have a Great Day because this is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it,
Brent
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 08-28-2014 12:51 Edited 08-28-2014 12:55
I have to admit something.  My original reason for using this site was to meet girls and eventually trick them into actually talking to me.  My user name was going to be ScottieTooHottie, but I decided on a name less conspicuous because I didn’t want to draw any attention to myself.  I scanned the website several times each day, but with no luck.  I still kept on trying, because it's much harder to get your face slapped after meeting someone online than it is in person.  I used to frequent another welding site where I did the same thing.  I actually met one girl on that site.  She drove almost 200 miles just to meet me.  She didn’t even give me time to get out of my car.  She just pulled up, slammed on the brakes, and left her car running as she flung her door open and ran towards me.  I didn’t think too much about it because that’s the effect I have on women.  I just looked at her, smiled, and gave her a few seconds to regain her composure before I opened my door.  She was unable to contain herself and longer and quickly motioned for me to roll down my window.  She didn’t even give me enough time to roll it all the way down.   She just reached in and slapped my face, repeatedly, and then she drove back home.  It was great.

Seriously, Much thanks to all the contributors to this great site, who are just too many to list.
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 09-01-2014 03:49
"The gratitude I have for the Lord having the wisdom to create this through his grace is indescribable for me as well as the gratitude I have for all of my colleagues I have in this forum, and you all know who you are so, I'm not going to mention anyone specific because I'll never finish my own thoughts about this place I call Home... Having said that, I apologize for not mentioning anyone specific because already by writing this, I'm starting to get distracted from what I'm attempting to elaborate further..."

This.
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 08-30-2014 15:25
Sometimes the enlightenment into complex questions and answers makes my brain explode. I now wear a heavy rubber shower cap to save time in picking up the pieces. Balloon's weren't strong enough. All kidding aside, I feel that were are all part of a big brotherhood trying to help each other and further the science of welding at all levels. Thanks to all the smart people for their patience. Perley
Parent - - By valeria Date 09-03-2014 10:18
I agree that this forum help me to appreciate welders and their dedication. I was once judge that being women that knows nothing about welding. Perhaps, they are true. However, that doesn't mean that I cannot learn to like it and appreciate. I can say that I understand my dad and his passion in welding though he is not a good welder.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 09-05-2014 02:27
Special place indeed. Some of the hardest working people in the world.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thanks to AWS and Contributors for a Great Resource