Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Carnival Rides
- - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-08-2014 11:11
Took my littlest guy to the fair yesterday.  You know the one that breeze into town, sets up shop for a week, then takes off to the next town. 

Standing in line for the rides gave me lots of time to look at the design and build of the structures.  The new rides are pretty beefy.  The old ones......shiver.
Lots of cracked welds here and there.  Crappy repair welds.  Made me think, "please don't let this be the time this ride fails and kills someone."  But it never does....or do they?

Has anyone heard of Carnie ride accidents due to equipment failure?

Tyrone

PS - Went on 4 rides with him.  That was enough.  Would have chucked on the next ride.  He didn't care about riding alone as long as the ride went a bazillion miles per hour or spins out of controll.  Wow, I've become a wuss.  Oh well, I'll stick to the deep fried fair food.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-08-2014 12:16
Read this one, with incompetent weld repair and inspection clearly responsible, and you may not ride again! (long, but excellent report).

http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/documents/0311_Scorpion_Report.pdf

Also, check Ride Accidents.com
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-09-2014 10:49
Wow, lucky no one was killed...
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-08-2014 13:57
Years ago one that came into our area would call us every time they came to town and while they were setting up they would have us repair rides that showed cracking.

Cracks from stress of use as well as road vibration.  They are not designed to last for the number of trips and years of use that they get.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2014 14:41 Edited 09-08-2014 15:05
I have been called upon to inspect several rides. All were scary and the owners were only interested in getting them fixed for as little money as possible. One complained that it would cost more to fix than he paid for the "damn thing".  "It's been operating like that for years, no one been killed."

One ride was already setup and ready to operated when the fair's inspector noticed a couple of cracks in the Ferris Wheel. I was called in to inspect the ride before it would be allowed to be used. The entire structure was constructed of aluminum. No one knew for sure what type of aluminum was used and they had no records for the numerous repairs that had been completed prior to my inspection. Needless to say, the ride wasn't used for that fair.

Many of the old rides were hobbled together with little if any engineering. In my home state the State Police is responsible for checking the rides before they are placed into service. If their inspection is anything like their truck inspection; "if it ain't broke, it'll work a while longer."

I try to avoid inspecting carnival rides if possible. Too much liability. I would say more, but I would probably be hit with a charge of defamation.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-08-2014 18:35
I’ve always been concerned about the safety of carnival rides, and waiting in long lines gives me even more time to worry.  I've found that I can significantly reduce the wait time by carrying a handful of old rusty nuts and bolts in my pocket.  As we wait in line for the ride, I’ll take a few out and look at them.  My daughter will start rubbing her head and pointing at them, saying something like, “I hope none of that stuff falls on me like it did the last two times we rode this.”
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2014 19:10
Or a simple comment like, "Is that supposed to look like that?" However, it only works if the child's parents are within hearing distance.

Al
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-09-2014 10:50
Hahaha, a chip off the olde block eh?!!
Tyrone
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-09-2014 10:56
I can see why any inspector would be hesitant to take on Carnie jobs.
But utimately, isn't it the owners responsibility to fix any deficiencies that the inspector noted?

Tyrone
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-09-2014 12:04
The problems, in the example I noted, are infrequent or incompetent inspection, incompetent repair concealing faults from visual inspection, and poor design, as well as the owner's failure to fix deficiency. If you get to the end section of the engineering report, and look at the weld pictures, all play a part, in addition to government vacating inspection authority.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 09-09-2014 12:08
Yeah, don't start looking around while you're riding the ski lift at Mt. Norquay, either.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-09-2014 18:09
Many states have mandatory annual inspections for ski lifts and even MT of certain parts.  But, I'm sure they as well as permanently located amusement park rides all have their downfalls (no pun intended). 

The comment about ultimate responsibility being the owners of the ride, sure, but once an inspector of any organization looks at it he puts himself in the responsible classification.  Why do you think we have to carry that expensive 'E & O' insurance (errors and omissions) known also as Professional Liability. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-15-2014 16:36
I used to work for the two largest theme park companies in the world when I lived in Orlando.  Both had excellent inspection, preventative maintenance programs, and operators.  Things do go wrong and stress, fatigue, poor engineering happens and things break.  I really liked that job, didn't like the heat of central FL.
There is an organization for carnival operators and inspectors, they would have their yearly meetings in central FL and come to our place for a tour.  I had considered joining it but didn't need it then so I saved myself the money.  They were known to put out recall notices and re-work notices for when a certain type of ride had an issue this way all the other owners could look for the issue and repair it.  I can't remember the name of it.

I think we all do the same thing when we go anywhere with exposed welds and structure, check them out, critique them, it's human nature.
Chris
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-15-2014 20:01
"I think we all do the same thing when we go anywhere with exposed welds and structure, check them out, critique them, it's human nature."

Yup, very true.
That's why I can no longer do amusement park rides and I avoid car Ferry's like the plague...

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Carnival Rides