Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Qualification to Pre-Qualified WPS
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-09-2014 18:08 Edited 09-09-2014 18:13
Gentlemen-

Beginning submittals on another railing job which will include WPSs.  I'm asking for confirmation or correction of my understanding of welder qualifications and use of pre-qualified WPSs.  Project is under D1.1 and most of the fabrication will be on Square and Rectangular HSS A500, both 2" X 2" X .120 and 2" X 3" X .120.

All welders maintain qualifications with a local jurisdiction, WABO, acceptable to the EOR per contract documents, for 1" Unlimited Plate with backing, all position, for both SMAW and FCAW which will be the processes used. My long term understanding is that this welder qualification automatically qualifies welders for fillet welds in the same processes on the same material.  Is this correct per AWS?  If so, are they also qualified for prequalified Flare Bevel Groove welds in the same processes and material?

Questions in addition to the ones above:

If we use WPSs from Clause 3 joint configurations do the welders need to be tested/qualified to each WPS or does their Unlimited Plate cover them?

There is a top rail configuration that requires a splice.  2" X 3" X .120 A500.  We intend to either: A.] insert and plug weld 4 pieces of backing into one side of the spiced connection to align the rail and provide backing or B.] plug weld a section of the next smallest size rectangular tubing to use for alignment and backing.  Would either or both of these configurations be acceptable under Clause 3?

For this top rail splice weld we intend to use joint designation B-L1a.  Would this be the correct application?

Regarding backing- Is there a tolerance for backing to base metal distance?  If we used the next smallest Rectangular tubing per above [1 1/2" X 2 1/2" X .120] there would be a 1/8" space between backing and base metal.  Does this present a problem under Clause 3 or otherwise?

One part of the work requires short legs of 2" X 3" X .120 to be welded at 90 degrees to a length of the same material.  This will create the need for 2 fillet welds and 2 Flare Bevel groove welds to weld all around the perimeter of the leg.  Is it customary or required to include both weld symbols on shop drawings for this weld or is it self evident?

Is there a source for a better, more accurately fitted backing material that would eliminate the 1/8" space between backing and base material?  Wagner does not have a mechanical splice lock for rectangular materials.

I should mention, all the welders used on this work are highly skilled craftsman and I have no doubt of their ability to build any part of it. The biggest hurdle is assuring compliance with code required documentation.  My thanks in advance for your comments, corrections and suggestions.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-09-2014 18:19
The first thing I would look at is D1.1 Table 4.10

This should make you happy and help sharpen your other questions.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-09-2014 18:49
You mentioned that the tubing is .120 thick.  The minimum base metal thickness for D1.1 is 1/8" (.125)
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-09-2014 21:59
Scott.

Yes, I am aware of this.  It is an ongoing condition of material being called out that does not exist.  My steel distributor supplies 2 X 3 HSS in .120.  Never found it anywhere in the 1/8" wall thickness  consistently called out. Never has been a problem in the past but always makes me wonder when I'm going to meet an intransigent engineer.  Fortunately the ones so far have been reasonable people.  We'll have to see about this one.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-09-2014 21:54
Thank you Lawrence, I will do that before proceeding.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-09-2014 22:07
Lawrence-

Thank you for that direction.  The welders are all 3G & 4G Unlimited Plate qualified.  The table tells me I am good to go for fillets, CJP, PJP, with backing and plug & slot welds.  That's one problem solved.  Would you or anyone else take up the question posed regarding backing material closeness to base metal material tolerance?  Suggestions from prior sucessfull applications most welcomed.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-09-2014 20:33
The Engineer should be able to answer your questions. All are good questions and as Scott mentioned, the steel technically isn't thick enough to qualified for D1.1. The fact that there steel is 0.005 inches thick rather than 1/8 inch is a technicality, but it ione way to side step having to meet D1.1. However, what is the alternative; the Sheet Metal Code? it comes with it's own set of complications.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-09-2014 22:49
Al,  Your suggestion to bring it to the engineer is standard ops and what I would normally do or have done in the past.  Therein lies the problem.  This project like most of my work is a Public Work project.  12 years of experience doing this type of contracting has indicated to me that either the engineers don't know this technically minor detail as they should or because they are designing other elements of the project- rebar, structural members, concrete of which some do fall under D1.1 and to keep it simple they just throw out a wide net.  Either way, the loads on the railing we will be building are obviously far less than a supporting structural member.  And in truth, I don't think any of them want to have that code distinction brought to their attention either for reasons of convenience or embarassment.

That said and with no intent of malice or defamation what I usually do these days is to present the missing information of the contract drawings in my submitted shop drawings for their review and approval.  We provide details in our shop drawings, missing in their design which we've used with success following best construction methods.  Design is their responsibility; if they think we have encroached on their area of expertise they will/should direct us as such in their review.  I suspect most of them don't really enjoy designing commercial railing and seem to appreciate our filling in the blanks as it were.  If I ever had a seconds doubt as to our ability to provide a safe, strong, functional fabrication under any code I would out of self preservation bring any detail or discrepancy to their attention.  Even having done so, I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised how many times it was approved as submitted or simply quietly went away.

As an example: the horizontals on these railings are 1 X 1 X .120 Sq. HSS.  That material is only readily available in A513, an unqualified metal under D1.1.  This was brought to the owners attention a week before bid.  The Owners answer was that his "consultant" was not available to answer that question before bid.  Our bid proposal addressed that issue specifically, again ignored by the primes.  I specifically informed them in the proposal of the unqualified material and the 12 week lead time for the mill to certify the tubing to A500.  These questions have been ignored for 2 months.  Now I will submit my shops which will specify A513 for the horizontal rails and I have completed the full expectation of my responsibility.  I cannot reinvent the Bureacracy into a more efficient framework.  They will make a decision, direct my course of action and I will let them know how much more it's going to cost and how much longer it's going to take.  Likely it won't come to that.  I know that tube will work and it's up to them to do their jobs.  What's a guy to do?  I showed them where the clear waters ran, if they like the mud it's all theirs.  Oh, and thanks for listening.  If you have any suggestions it's always appreciated.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-10-2014 01:39
I find it interesting that when I had my shop my insurance carrier would not cover railings, stairs, or fire escapes. They said the exposure with too high should there be a claim.

I have testing some railings. The test loads were 200 pounds of horizontal force at the top of the posts and 50 pounds per linear foot of horizontal and vertical load for the top rail. Each section was load tested. It passed, but the railing was not what I see in most installs. I suspect about 25% of the railing installs I see would actually pass such a test without excessive deflection. Most would fail long before the max loads were attained. Another point, the testing was required by the Owner's insurance.

One of the engineers I deal with provides expert witness testimony for deck failures, railings, etc. and judging by his workload, I can see why my insurance carrier shied away for providing coverage.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-10-2014 03:41
That's interesting Al but makes me wonder what kind of railings you are comparing this to.  A 200# man with momentum and full force mule kicking a 42" high railing will [in my estimate] produce very nearly a 200# concentrated force, which I have carried out in order to justify my estimate and theory.  Granted, this was not a controlled scientific study.  The only thing that happened was a sore foot for me.  Most of the stuff we do is 1 1/2" schedule 40 pipe or HSS equivalent.  Embedded 8" into sleeves grouted into concrete and the PE who provides occasional consultation for me assures me they meet the load requirements of IBC.  A lot of the light residential railing I look at makes me wonder though.  My insurance agent has at times indicated she would sleep better if I increased my coverage but the fact is there's railing I built 10 years ago for a highly used public park full of athletes and skateboarders that 's still as solid as the day it went in the ground.  New England [where I believe you practice?] may have a more conservative insurance industry.

The next project lined up after this is a Pedestrian Guardrail in Aluminum with bolted base plates to concrete.  That one IS giving me the occasional jitters.  But it's a few months off and lucky guy that I am the engineers on that one decided to exclude specifying the anchorages [again brought to the EOR prior to bid] so there's going to be some wiggle room and adjustments.

Do you have any thoughts on the backing material/configuration/tolerance referenced above that you'd share?
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-10-2014 12:58
yojimbo,

You'd asked about further comments regarding the "backing material closeness to base metal material tolerance".  Although technically the .120 material thickness doesn't fall within the parameters of the structural code, paragraph 5.22.1.1 addresses faying surfaces: "The separation between faying surfaces of plug and slot welds, and of butt joints landing on a backing, shall not exceed 1/16".

I don't know how many splices you'll have, but I was thinking yesterday, one option could be to plasma cut some short, solid bars to fit inside, and you could just grind the small radius on the edges to clear the corner radius of the tube.  If it's not a seamless tube, you'd also need to grind away enough to clear the seam.  Not really a whole lot of grinding, unless you have a lot of splices.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-10-2014 14:01
I was going to suggest using a solid piece of plate(punch a vent hole in the center if hot dip galvanizing) to be inserted inside as backing.....but Scott has already mentioned that.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-10-2014 13:44
Aluminum on concrete, not a very good combination. You will have to isolate the aluminum from the concrete or there will be hell to pay. 18-8 stainless anchorage should work.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Qualification to Pre-Qualified WPS