Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Staffing Agencies
- - By MStevens (*) Date 09-10-2014 18:38
I have recently received my CWI and have found that most of the jobs are coming from staffing agencies. Can anyone recommend any good agencies to contact?
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-10-2014 19:45
Where are you located? I would first suggest sending your resume to fabricators in your area, and if you don’t get any responses, post your resume on sites like CareerBuilder.  Headhunters commonly review posted resumes on those types of sites, as well as HR personnel.  That’s what I did, and within a couple of days, I was contacted, had interviews scheduled, and eventually hired.
Parent - - By MStevens (*) Date 09-11-2014 15:07
I'm in South Alabama, but I am willing to travel. I will get it posted ASAP. Thanks.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-11-2014 15:22
You might contact Steelfab in Roanoke, Alabama.  334-863-7311.  Stuart Sherrill is the president.  He's a fine man.  Sherri Abernathy is the HR contact. 

If they are not hiring, maybe someone there can give you some other contacts in the area.  Good luck with your search.
Parent - - By J.W. (*) Date 09-12-2014 01:45
There is a lot of work going on in louisiana between Baton Rouge, Lake Charles and New Orleans. Company's like CB&I, Turner Industries, Jacobs construction,  Performance Contractors, Bechtel, James Construction and few more. Plus check with some NDE/inspection companies like team industrial and others. Just remember don't let a company short change you on money. You've worked hard to get were you are. Learn what you can from the veterans and its always better to ask than guess. Welcome to  world of inspection and good luck.
Parent - By MStevens (*) Date 09-15-2014 18:13
Thank you, I just submitted resumes to all of these companies.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-11-2014 20:18
MStevens,

If you are seeking jobs in the USA, I think all of them are ok. I've even worked for one that has fallen on the "not recommended list" from this forum and other QC professionals, but had no problem with them or the pay. That being said, the one on the "not recommended list" is known for low pay, but that is not always the case.
As a new CWI (unless you have documentable experience in QC/Inspection and coupled with 1 or more NDE certs), oftentimes the pay offered will reflect this. Dependent upon the need and availability (eg. YOU are the only applicant), negotiations can sometimes provide favorable results. As is always the case with any "horse trading", you must be willing to walk away if the deal is not to your expectations.

Now if you are wanting to go expat, my suggestion is to avoid most East Indian or other Far Eastern (Asian) companies offering jobs in Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, etc. The issue is that they can hire someone from Thailand, Philippines, India... and pay them annually what a CWI/CSWIP from the USA or UK would make in 60 days overseas.

Your timing is good as there seems to be a shortage of CWIs and therefore a lot of chances for you to be selective and not jump on the first offer that comes your way should you choose to. For instance, a couple years back there was a fairly long term gig in Gary, IN that was paying BIG money. Problem was, it was in Gary, IN... Daily reports of vehicle theft (both contents and or the car!), personal robberies and other crime.

Good luck to you in your search.
Parent - By MStevens (*) Date 09-15-2014 18:00
Thank you. I will look into all of these reccomendations.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-15-2014 23:38
I worked for the following

QBEK Inspection-Now owned by KBR. I averaged 20 hrs per week with them. They are looking to replace some people retiring.

Footbridge Staffing was good to me. Joe Squires is a contact 877-807-8400. They aren't doing anything today but like all headhunters, they will take you info.

SQA Services has called me a few times. I did some work for them 10 years ago (Including shopping for batteries) and a year or two ago. Seemed like a pretty professional outfit.

I thought I had posted t his earlier but guess my mind is going.
Parent - By MStevens (*) Date 09-16-2014 14:23
Thank you. I have submitted my resume to all of those.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Staffing Agencies