Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Derelict Inspectors Giving Welding Tests
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By hacksaw (*) Date 09-29-2014 21:06
I recently took a welding test for a tube company. I tested at their shop. I was given a test coupon with an incorrect bevel angel, rusty TIG wire and stick rods, and an old welding machine that was welding terrible. Needless to say, the test failed the bend test. The inspector saw nothing wrong with this situation. Is this allowed in any welding code? Which society oversees welding tests, and would it do any good to report this company?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-29-2014 22:41
If it is the company's internal test method, and they're not using what you describe in production then don't waste your time and move on to the next gig because you won't change the way they test unless you know the owner and have verifiable proof of everything you claim... Is this allowed in any code? if it's as lousy as you claim then the answer would be no to any legitimate code or standard...Then again the question is which code or standard were they testing to? Were they even testing to a specific code or standard? If you want to pursue this then you're in for a really uphill battle that you may not win.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 09-29-2014 23:16
I'm not sure which code they were testing to, but the company welds boiler tubes, so I would assume that it is a boiler code. The test was a joke, and I started to walk out after putting in the root, and the inspector talked me in to staying and finishing the weld....Which was a  huge waste of my time. This wasn't going to pass a bend test (or an x-ray). I almost endlessly seem to come across derelict inspectors that don't know what they are doing.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-30-2014 00:01
Hey Hacksaw,  Don't recall seeing you around for a while.  Hope all has been well.

I would caution about using the word 'inspector' unless you know for sure he is/was.  He may just be the janitor but they asked him to oversee the welding test.  Hopefully not but you get the idea.  Most codes do not require the test to be administered or monitored by an inspector and especially not an AWS/CWI.  Though more and more of the reputable fabricators are going that route to make sure all the test parameters and bends and interpretation was handled correctly, or at least as close to correct as possible. 

Now, hopefully by 'inspector' you are not referring to all of those 'derelict'(s) being CWI's.  But, I will not deny or refute that there aren't some. 

If it is boiler work then more than likely they are working to ASME codes.  But, that doesn't mean your test was to an ASME code, only that they work to them.  It would be wise to test to the same code but who knows. 

Sorry for your experience but if as bad as you portrayed then you are wise to just walk away and keep looking.  Good luck.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-30-2014 12:32
If you don't know what code is governing the test, how do you know the bevel was wrong?

Just being a pri*k  :)

But this brings up a point that I think is important...  If you are an experienced journeyman, you should have a good understanding of code (maybe even own copies of it...  We welders often say we are "always learning"  but sometimes neglect the book learnin aspects :)

It is totally appropriate to ask *whoever* is giving the test for a copy of the written welding procedure,  Also most journeymen that have been doing tig roots for years keep a scotchbrite in the tool bag just in case there is a little corrosion on the TIG wire eh?   

On the other hand... If the testing environment is super sloppy... This may be a sign the everything they do is sloppy...  But you never know... I've seen crazy test set-ups just because they wanted to see how the welders would react to it...  Stupid but, but I guess it's their shop.

If everybody fails the tests due to crappy test materials... eventually this will be noticed (no new employees)....   If they run another add in a few weeks it might be worthwhile to see if they fixed the glitch and got somebody new to do the tests :)
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 09-29-2014 23:58
There's not much you can do about the stick rod, but scotch brite and clean the tig rod and regrind the bevel on the coupon. Show confidence that you know the procedure and that you could turn out a good test. Its not just the inspector that's watching. Win lose or draw, carry yourself as a professional you will always be working.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 09-30-2014 13:40
Hacksaw-

I've taken that test myself a few times.  Once the company man "inspector" hooked up the gas line for my tig rig, set the flow and told me with a glare "35 CFI, No More!"  Lit up with a pure CO 2 covering gas and blew a hole through the bevel.  He told me just grind it out and swap bottles.  Coupon shot and I went to work.  Drug up 4 days later.  Loved the time a different sideshow handed me a piece of 6" seamed A500 that was primered outside and rust pitted halfway though on the inside from sitting out on the dock for the last 4 years.  "It's the only pipe we got" says that asshat.  Scorched em a perfect 5P make it on any gas line 6G weld and got told "None of the other guys had any weld inside, howdya do it?"  Didn't even go to work for them either.  Easily a dozen more horror show wasted afternoons with outfits like that.  Any Big Circus is gonna have a lot of clowns.  Some are funny, some are sad. Keep rolling and keeping an eye out for quality outfits looking for quality welders.  Your hide will tend to get a little thick but you'll have some memories to look back and laugh at when you're telling stories over a beer.  Resentment is a Load Stone.  Shake it off and move on.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-30-2014 13:46
Gonna steal that clown quote

Just lettin ya know  :)
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 09-30-2014 14:58
Did you know that McDonald's will give you a free super sized combo meal and $127.38 if you go to the drive thru dressed as a clown.

With a gun.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 09-30-2014 15:19
Mr. Norris,
You should put a disclaimer in your signature to protect folks from Darwinism.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 10-01-2014 16:08
Scott,

I spewed coffee all over the keyboard reading that.

What's the date for the HBO Comedy Stand Up Special?
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 10-01-2014 16:05
Lawrence,

My attorney will be in touch directly.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-01-2014 19:11
yojimbo,

Funny you should mention an attorney.  I’ve never really gotten along with any of them.  The last conversation I had with an attorney was because of my girlfriend.  Believe it or not, my girlfriend actually went to see a lawyer about how much she hates it when I sneak up on her.  And according to her lawyer, she also hates it when I call her my girlfriend.  I tell you, there is no worse feeling in the world than lying next to the person you love and they don't even know you love them, or that you're in their house again.  I still remember the first day I saw her.  I was walking behind her when all of a sudden the wind blew her dress up over her head.  Needless to say, she was a little embarrassed, but I really did love my new leaf blower.  You hear all this talk about chasing your dream, but when I chase mine, it turns around and sprays me with mace. All this time I thought I was saying and doing all the right things, like, “I love watching you when you're sleeping.” or “I love the way your hair flows when I'm walking behind you.” These were just a couple lines that I wrote on a Valentine’s day card for my girlfriend.  I thought that she’d definitely want to go out with me after she reads it, because I read an article that said women love to be showered with presents and be given lots and lots of attention.  All it got me was a restraining order.  The truth is, she was just paranoid.  It appears that she thought that I was following her or possibly even stalking her.  She appeared to be worried that I might be obsessed with her and she became afraid any time she heard a noise in her house.  At least that’s what I think she wrote in her diary.  It’s not easy sitting in a tree and trying to read it through binoculars.  I must admit that at one point I felt like she was distancing herself from me, but then I realized that I was looking through the wrong end of my binoculars.  So my girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.  Well, technically, she's not my girlfriend yet, but there can be no denying that when two people meet, and they have that initial spark, that magic, its love at first sight.  Then again, when only one person has that spark, that magic, it’s called stalking.  At least that’s what the police tried to tell me.  In my defense, I told them that she’s just going through the seven stages of love.  Then they tried to tell me that she said I disgust her and that she doesn’t even know me.  To which I replied, "Duh huh...Stage 1: Denial.” Anyway, the restraining order says that I can’t be within 100 feet of her.  So, I plan to call her and ask her if she’d like to play a game of Frisbee with me.  I did a Google search and found out that those things can be tossed at least 200 feet, so if that’s correct, I’ll still be within my legal rights.
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 09-30-2014 19:06 Edited 09-30-2014 19:08
I could have regrinded the bevel, and I did on the coupon for the TIG test. The bevel angle was so steep that the tacks didn't even go in. Although, most people taking this test would assume that this is the bevel angle that they want you to use on the test, and the job. Its hard to believe that an inspector would be so stupid as to machine a bevel on a coupon at the wrong angle if they didn't expect you to use this on the job. Incorrect bevel angle can cause non-fusion, and this pipe had very little bevel angle. I could have used scotch brite or sand paper to clean the rods, but that would also remove the silicone, which is a deoxidizer, which is there for a reason. I eventually brought in my personal (clean) rods I had left over in my box, from a previous job to finish the test.

I'd stay away from this company:
http://www.furnaceandtube.com/
Its amazing how their website look so professional, yet it hides the fact that its a little crap operation!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:08
hack,
Next time go ahead and clean the rod. That which is on the surface is not being used as a deoxidizer.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-30-2014 18:39 Edited 10-01-2014 16:27
1.) Are you sure it was tube, or were you attempting a pipe test?

2.) Some tube welds do not require bevels.

3.) Did the job posting say bring your own tools?

These are wise questions to ask in an interview or a pre interview phone call.

It might help to plan ahead as much as possible - like carry a file or some sandpaper.

But, I do understand that sometimes unfair situations do occur.

Often, most situations are negotiable.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-30-2014 19:04
Lot of good points for test taking coming out here.  Lots of experienced people who have been in the same boat.

Bottom line:  While the code should be within parameters of the applicable code being worked to, it can take many shapes to see what the test taker can do. 

No one society oversees tests.  Actually, no society oversees tests.  It is up to the contractor and/or customer. 

It would do no good to report this company because there aren't enough facts and probably no grounds. 

It does pay to put all the included suggestions together and be prepared for the worst to show them your best, unless you really don't want to work.  At least for them. 

Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-30-2014 21:33
"He may just be the janitor but they asked him to oversee the welding test."

LMAO!!!

The only one that I know of that actually requires an inspector or other to be there while doing your test is API. Every year I do mine and I have to either have an inspector or a member of the gas department witness the test. I have done the last two at a local gas department I do work for. Their shop is covered, cool, quiet. The supervisor watches the test, fills out the letter on letterhead and sends it to the lab. A more relaxed environment instead of the inspector standing over my shoulder, talking about fishing, hunting or the "ball" game last night.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-02-2014 00:46
I would have just walked out after seeing this, I've been in places like this before some I walked out after seeing where I would work some I took the test passed it still didn't take the job but in this case i wouldn't have wasted my time there.
Parent - By S J (**) Date 10-03-2014 01:59
?

Did they issue coupons or tubes?

Was there an applicable code or standard?

Not making trouble, but it helps to know details like these.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-01-2014 02:38
The inspector was probably checking to see if the welder is goofy enough to attempt to weld the joint that isn't properly prepared using electrodes that haven't been stored properly. If the welder is willing to attempt to complete the weld, he's one that you don't want on the project. If the welder moaned and groaned, rebeveled the joint and searched out some good electrode, you know he knows what to do and how to do it. Just saying.

Al
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 10-01-2014 18:13
My thoughts exactly!
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 10-01-2014 19:27
I thought about this possibility after the test, but I doubt these guys would have been smart enough to plan out a conspiracy so advanced. And this still wouldn't have fixed their junky welding machine that should have been retired 30 years ago.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-01-2014 23:42
Let me guess... You were trained on an inverter type machine?
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-02-2014 03:18
now, now, Henry
not all these kids are like us and knew James Lincoln personally:eek:
still got that rookie Al Moore and many others:evil::wink:
so play nice and no bullying the youngsters
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-02-2014 06:29
Take your Lactulose Kent!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:09
henry,
that's funny.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-02-2014 03:32
I'm kinda curious, at what age should I retire my 1940 Lincoln gas engine welder that runs circles around the new ones? 

Those old gas and/or electric generators will run forever.  And if you can't certify with one of them...you don't know how to weld!  (I'm not saying that is what you used or that you don't know how to weld, just an observation of old machines that will outlive me). 

Parent - - By S J (**) Date 10-03-2014 02:10
It sometimes pays to keep a backup.

That is a personal habit for my computers and IT hardware.

Unfortunately, I cannot keep a welding machine at my current residence.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-03-2014 03:00
S J,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, for the record, in case you are totally new and haven't followed our discussions to know who I am, I got rid of my old Lincoln a long time ago even though it still ran great.  Yes, you are right, it does pay to have a back up, in everything- computers, welders, cars, food :lol: , etc.  But, I currently use a brand new Miller Trailblazer 325 with all the bells and whistles.  Works great for what little I do anymore since my son and I are CWI's and keep pretty busy doing TPI work. 

I was being a bit 'sarcastic' about the previous comment about an old machine that should have been retired long ago.  I generally find it is not as much the machine as the application people try to make a power source work at.  Using wire feeders is just not a good idea with some portables, etc. 

But, all welders need excuses because we all know that none of them every busted a test just because they had a bad day, it had to be the machine, wire, electrode, steel (direction of roll is always a good cop out), and so much more.  Again, just some sarcasm as most of us here know each other and what our backgrounds are and most are not too proud to admit busting a test. 

Did the OP have a legitimate complaint?  Don't know.  Wasn't there.  Just tried to offer some personal opinions for application to take it in stride and keep going.  As many have leaned toward, could have been the 'inspector's way of seeing how good a test taker was.  Or, could be a place to stay away from.  No one else really knows based upon information available.  

Again, welcome and post away.  We'll try not to scare you when we get too pointed in our opinions and passionate in our own experiences.  This really is a great place.

Parent - By S J (**) Date 10-03-2014 17:56
We live and we learn.

At times the forum tends to become somewhat confused, perhaps because the discussions do not always follow in a logical threadlike sequence; however, the format is not for me alone to decide.  Maybe an option could be added to the alerts menu to provide email alerts for all comment posts.  Or, do we have that option now?  But, it might get a little crazy for people who try to track 200 emails a day - but, what the heck - the option can be deselected when less information is necessary.

The pivotal solutions for many welding challenges are often tied to the proper use of codes and/or procedures; and, unfortunately, not all industries follow the proper protocols - sometimes through lack of proper understanding, and sometimes for other reasons.

Life is not always fair, but your footer does offer some wise advice.  The welding industry as a whole could improve in the area of communication skills.

My own personal forward looking plan includes some goals for improving my own communication skills, as well as my access to the proper legal materials when necessary - be they in paper media, or electronic or other format.

It also helps to have a preliminary task list for the launch of many new work assignments.  The Boy Scouts are wise in their advice to always be prepared.  However, one needs to know what the expectations are in order to prepare.

Maybe this thread needs to be closed.
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 10-03-2014 17:39 Edited 10-03-2014 17:50
@ S J:
Brent sounds like a typical structural welder and D1.1 CWI. By visiting his web site, that's all he is.:lol: The stuff he is welding on is what guys like me would call "junk iron." They usually consider themselves to be experts on welding, but I can assure you that welding on handrails, truck racks, and light weight wrought iron is laughable, compared to the type of welding that I'm doing. He is welding at the trade school level:confused:. Much of the stuff that I'm welding on is x-rayed (often to severe cycle), and if one speck is found inside the weld, it is rejected. One stick of hastelloy pipe that I often weld on, is probably worth more than his entire business.:lol: http://www.arctechwelding.com :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:14
I can't speak for the power source but I would have prepped the bevel, cleaned the rod, and welded it.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:20 Edited 10-03-2014 19:31
Hacksaw,

Brent is a well respected member of the AWS and this forum... You are making it really difficult for yourself to get any more cooperation from the rest of the participants in here who feel the same way about Brent as I do... I strongly suggest that you get a handle of yourself and if you're any kind of a real man, you then offer an apology to Brent for the nasty, ignorant and really boneheaded comments you made about him when you know absolutely nothing about him at all!  How dare you come in here asking for advice and then crucifying the one person in here that was willing to offer his unbiased advice and to help you get over this obviously ridiculous resentment you have because you busted a test!!!

I mean WTF??? Get over it already for crying out loud!!! Oh wait, you're already doing a whole lot of that already with your whining & crying like some kid who got his medal taken away from him...:mad::mad::mad: And for your information, do you realize that you're defaming the character of an ordained minister??? If you're a true Christian, then man up and APOLOGIZE!!!

As I write this, I can't help but think about how ignorant and ridiculous you are as a person, and your total lack of professionalism which is beyond compare son! Heck yeah I'm calling you son!! Why??? Because you're acting like a spoiled rat adolescent - that's why!!! And I know already that Brent is going to be disappointed in the way I'm speaking out in his defense for the stupid air-headed comments you made about him by posting them for everyone to see, because he would rather have me react more peacefully towards someone as obviously troubled as you certainly have shown us to be... And I apologize for stepping in and defending your integrity Brent, because I know you don't need my help, but I couldn't resist to put this clown in his place for criticizing you, and his ridiculous boasting of how golden his arm is which is so ironic especially after he just finished describing to us how he busted a test Go Figure eh?:roll::mad::roll::mad::roll::roll::roll:

Now before I finish writing this post, I want to inform this clown that he should never judge a book by it's cover like he just did... Because I don't know if he's even aware of this but, Brent does a lot of third party inspections and is more qualified to not only inspect severe cycle type welds like those found when the welds are fracture critical under AWS D1.8, both he and his son are qualified welders to that code also! So please stop touting about yourself and disrespecting someone you know absolutely nothing about in here who offered you some good advice only to help you out... Then you turn around and defame someone like Brent just because you didn't like reading the truth about yourself and what to do about it???  A total lack of gratitude IMHO, and you don't impress any of us with your comments of how much of a golden arm you are, because the only impression that myself and probably many other folks in here have of you is that you're a jerk...

Sorry Brent... I just couldn't resist informing this 'Hack' er, I mean hacksaw person what a huge mistake he just made judging you in the manner which he did.:mad::roll:

Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:23
You OK Henry?  :smile:
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:28
Heck yeah! Did you read what this hack saw person just posted about Brent? That's why I'm riled up, and I know I shouldn't let myself get that way but, Brent was only trying to be helpful to this obviously ungrateful jerk... But hey thanks for asking Js.:smile::grin::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:44
I saw it. You handled it. :lol:
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 10-03-2014 19:52
Sorry Brent.....But, it sounded like he was saying in one of his posts that I can't weld, or I'm trying to make excuses. I often see structural guys trying to compare the type of stuff they are welding on to what we are welding on...I can assure you that it isn't the same thing. This is often a high stress job, where one tiny mistake can cause a weld rejection, and cause you to lose your job. One engineer compared what we do as trying to perform surgery, hanging upside down off a scaffold, left handed. He is often correct. We have a huge mafia of QC's, QA's, and X-ray techs looking at everything we do with a magnifying glass. So it isn't the same as welding on handrails and truck racks. Although, I enjoyed welding on this stuff 20 years ago, when I started out welding.....Welding does get far more advanced, and difficult. This is why guys like me are so nit-pickey about having a good machine, clean rods, proper fit-up, and bevel angle. A repair can get me sent down the road. I often have enough trouble trying to explain this to pipefitters. I wouldn't expect a welding inspector to have the same mentality.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 20:48
Brent was welding pipe when you were still learning how to weld what you call "Junk Iron..." Like I wrote previously, "Never judge a book by it's cover... Especially if it's a book you never read before" the analogy is what it is and, it fits your reaction towards Brent... I'm done.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-05-2014 13:23
You sure talk yourself up a lot Hacksaw, for a guy who took a job employment test and finished it without even asking what code your welds were supposed to comply with.  

Like a surgeon?

Surgeons know what they are doing?    You clearly and self-admittedly dont.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 10-08-2014 01:40
Quote:
Welding does get far more advanced, and difficult. This is why guys like me are so nit-pickey about having a good machine, clean rods, proper fit-up, and bevel angle. A repair can get me sent down the road.

A repair... You didn't even make the test! So your only nit-picky when you want to be? Or are you just so good that others should take the test for you?

The guys on this forum are some of the best in the welding trades. I would be willing to bet that there are probably several here that can run circles around you without even breaking a sweat. Thing is they don't have to brag about their skill. A lot of us have many more years of experience in the trade than you do, myself included. None of us are the best. There is always someone who can teach you a thing or two and having an open mind to learning is one key to being more successful at something.

So go cry a river somewhere else, Hack!
Parent - - By S J (**) Date 10-03-2014 19:32
Whose ruse is this???

I think we all need to get back to reality...
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:40 Edited 10-03-2014 20:51
I assure you everything I do or say or write is as real as reality can get... Now tell me if you read hacksaw's reply to Brent's last post... I ask this because the reality of that reply is offensive and disrespectful towards someone who is a frequent contributor to this forum, and who is always going out of his way to be helpful, especially to newcomers like yourself and hack saw... Who turns around and then posts defamatory comments regarding Brent who just happens to be a dear friend of mine!
That's the reality I live in... Don't you?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-03-2014 19:47
I dunno  S J ... Either Hacksaw's punctuation is a mess or you were really rude to Brent.

Not that a little lively banter is unwelcome, because it is by me anyhow :)

But yeah... Ol Brent is no hack sir.   You would do well to listen to him.

Reality is that the advice you get from Brent and a few others around here is free, but their customers pay more for an hour of their time than you make in a day.

So go ahead and poke the bear... Just don't burn down the forrest eh?
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-03-2014 21:08 Edited 10-03-2014 21:11
If there was one thing I managed during my absence from this forum a few months back it was a legitimate time of self evaluation.  While I am overwhelmed by the support of such reputable people as Henry, Lawrence, and JS I have hopefully come to a place where much of these types of responses rolls off like water off a duck's back.

I don't blame the OP entirely, but I did think that I had explained with my own post that I was not saying what he just accused me of.  But, I am sorry if you got the impression that I had said that.  Please, re-read my post carefully.  Oh, thank you for the apology, accepted, no problem.

Yes, SJ, communications are difficult between humans under the best of circumstances and over the internet allows for even more misunderstandings.  A FACT that has been discussed on this forum many times and there is no way of correcting it 100%.  There will always be room for: What I said, what I meant by what I said, what I thought I said; What you heard, what you thought you heard, what you thought I meant by what you heard, etc.  Our own preconceived ideas, cultures, language skills, etc will cause us to misinterpret words that others put on paper. 

Now, those pics on my website represent a very small portion of the direction work took our little shop that we have owned for the past 18 years in a small rural community of AZ.  My background in heavy equipment maintenance, years as a field erection Boilermaker, Pipe Manufacturing plant fabricator up to 12' diameter pipe, structural fabricator and erector, and manufacturer of equipment used in sawmills, and tedious more items, has given me a wide background before I became an inspector with ICC, ASNT, AWS, and City of LA certifications.  Not to mention being a certified welder since 1978, eight years after I started welding, to ASME, API, and AWS codes in GTAW, SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, and SAW.

The pics and website were specifically designed to promote our little shop while allowing me the freedom to keep doing larger projects in AZ and around the country.  We have worked in OR, WA, CA, NV, AZ, TX, CO, MO, IN, AR, MS, LA, IA, and other states. 

But, who am I?  Compared to some of the giants on this forum?  Absolutely nobody.  So, bash away.  You may think of me whatever you will.  Unless we have an opportunity to meet face to face and spend some time talking and even working together, you don't know what I may be able to do, have done, or am trained to do. 

Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 10-03-2014 22:52
Hey Hackjaw-

Ya whiny little punk.  There's nothing more pathetic than a scared welder who's lost his nerve after busting a test or rattled by inspectors expectations the job gets done right.  Most of the responses you got to your original little pity party were good natured attemps to cheer you up and bolster your confidence.  You don't deserve even that much consideration.  Gonna sue AWS or anybody you can blame for your failure ??!!!  What a joke.  You'd need rat turds for brains to even think that was a logical attempt to describe the real world.  Pipe fitters got you down because their work ain't to your scared of a little gap expectations?  Here's a thought- learn how to fit.  Oh wait a minute.  That takes a lot of that rithmetic don't it.  And you're just a welder right?  You don't need no rithmentic.  Not your job.  Go strap your balls back on if you can find them back in that test booth where they took such horrible advantage of you and start behaving like somebody worth hearing from.  That or finally grow a pair.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 10-03-2014 23:05
Hey Hackjaw-

Just re-read your half assed attempt at an apology which still tries to justify your position.  20 years in the trade and still getting rattled???  Not enough common sense to have walked out of that janitors inspection booth???  That damn desperate for a paycheck??  All those years and there's not enough money in the bank or business connections made where you don't have to even come near enough that kind of stench???  I stand by my other posts.  You really caught me on a bad day for this kind of crap.  In the words of the dead comedian, "Got chunks of guys like you in my stool".
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 10-04-2014 00:45
Again, the pipe that I am often welding on probably costs more than your house. And a tiny defect in a weld can put a huge crater in the ground, and people on stretchers. So say what you choose. I've already proven my ability to weld easy, unimportant  stuff, like lightweight structural iron. Welding is far more advanced than the stuff that you will ever be allowed to weld on.

Good day, sir.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 10-04-2014 01:06
Oh No!  Somebody stepped on my Rubber Duckey.

And yet with all this brilliant expertise you flunked out of janitor school.

Gotta sting.

Put some Robituissun on it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-04-2014 02:11 Edited 10-04-2014 02:14
Hacksaw,

I have been hesitant to make a couple of observations while trying to establish a basic repore between those whose main difference is the exact portion of an industry they went into.  But please read and evaluate the following carefully:

I don't have much respect for any arrogant, snob nosed welder who criticizes, runs down, and demeans other arrogant, snob nosed welders just because they don't do the same exact thing he does.  A good number of us have welded many of the so called exotic metals and decided to go elsewhere for our daily pay check.  BIG DEAL. 

Contrary to your attitude, it is all important.  There is nothing "unimportant" about the "lightweight structural iron" that weighs over 700 lbs per foot holding up buildings that are occupied by 1000's of people 24/7.  The new World Trade Center, the new Wilshire Grand Hotel. ETC, ETC.  Earthquake zones. Multiple codes covering every possible situation.  D1.1, D1.3, D1.4, D1.8, AISC- Construction, Seismic, Bolting, ICC, City of LA; all for one little unimportant building with 1000's of lives in the balance.  How would you like to see a true no body weld that and then put your grandkids in the top floor during an earthquake? 

Get off your high horse, get real, and show some respect to others who do the same thing you do.  YOU ARE NOTHING ANY MORE SPECIAL THAN ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM AND WELDING ANYWHERE!!  It is all about attitude, wanting to do the job right, with pride, and making an honorable living to provide for our families. 

You get to weld material that is not as expensive as you pretend.  It doesn't protect people ANY MORE than mine and that is what determines value.  Dollars don't mean squat.  You have obviously never welded on structural steel that is composed of special alloys.  It is the quality of the finished product that is important.  And you want to talk about what damage a tiny defect can do?  Go ahead and study the science that goes into protecting building structures during an earthquake.  None of us uses 'JUNK IRON'.  All of it has it's special features with preheat, filler metals, welding procedures, finished surface, and more. 

Personally, I chose the challenge of design and different applications of joints and materials and codes and filler materials and ETC.  Gee, you get to go around in circles all day everyday.  I've never seen a pipe related failure take as many lives in a day as a structural failure. 

You say " I've already proven my ability to weld easy, unimportant  stuff, like lightweight structural iron."  You haven't proven squat except that you failed some tiny little test and then came running and whining trying to find solace from other welders you thought would support you and tell you how to get these people in trouble.  What a little person with a self centered ego. 

There, done making my observations.  I went from greeting you back to the forum, to getting torn apart for what I didn't say, to saying what you wanted to hear in my previous post but will now bash me for, to wishing you luck anyway and hoping you are never in a building that fails because some no body welded on it or performed the inspections with no care of the quality only the size of his paycheck.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Derelict Inspectors Giving Welding Tests
1 2 Previous Next