Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / a Hattrick?
- - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-06-2014 23:14
So today I used GTAW, SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW all on different jobs and different materials... Do I get a medal or a cookie or something? Anyone else get to have that much fun in one day?
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 10-07-2014 00:23
My normal shift...

Griff
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-07-2014 22:16
Glad I'm not the only one...:smile:
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 10-07-2014 00:35
3 out of 4 but all on the road. That kind of day makes you think, Is the tank turned on, or do I feel lucky.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-08-2014 13:25
I am cross-eyed with envy.
"I LOVE the smell of shielding gas in the morning". "It smells like... production"!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-08-2014 13:28
Ozone
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-08-2014 13:33
I can smell the difference between Tri-mix and straight See-Oh-2 from the bottle...
I also do PMI by taste testing.
That's why I make the BIG Bucks!:lol::razz::razz:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-08-2014 14:25
I love big bucks and I cannot lie :)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2014 18:24
Me too, my last one was a 5 X 4 and very good weight for our area and the taste....to die for.... well, for him it was to die, for me, it was to eat.  Good stuff that venison.

OOHH, those weren't the big bucks you were talking about.  Sorry. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-08-2014 20:42
You are killin me Brent.
Once again I'm out away from home during hunting season (even though stateside for a change, still 2 states and 521 miles away).
Gave one of my neighbors permission to "thin the herd" in my absence. I told him to wait for 2 days or so after opening day. The dude herders down in valley will open up the Season like a D-Day invasion and then the deer high-tail it up to "The Gulch".
Attachment: DeadHookerGulch.JPG (0B)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2014 20:56
Man, looks like some of our hunting grounds.  Let's see, WY? 

I usually hunt some of the more forested areas but we get in plenty of the open terrain also.

Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-08-2014 21:30 Edited 10-08-2014 21:33
Yep, Wyoming. Yellowstone park is over the first range of mountains in that foto about 40 miles as the crow flies. I have this little piece of "premium sagebrush". There are 3 dry gulches (wind breaks) up to 20' deep with green grass that lasts into the fall. All ya gotta do is send in a noisy bushwhacker into one end and deer come flying out the other end.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-09-2014 00:01
Sweet.  Been too long since I was in that area.  Beautiful country through there.  And great hunting.

Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-08-2014 22:40
Superflux,
  How close is that to Worland and Thermopolis?

jrw159
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-09-2014 12:30
jrw159,

"The Gulch" is 500 yds south of the Montana border and halfway between Cody, WY and Red Lodge, MT.
2 hrs to Thermop, 2-1/2 to Worland or a heavy hour to Billings, MT.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-09-2014 12:33
I suppose there are trout nearby?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-09-2014 15:01
Yep, Big deer up in that country!!! We lived in Worland when I was a young boy (actually about 10 miles north of town).

jrw159
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-09-2014 17:03 Edited 10-09-2014 17:07
Up the Nowood River?
Gateway to Hyateville.
This look familiar?
Attachment: DSCN0412.JPG (334k)
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-08-2014 23:53
I STILL love the smell of 6010.... the once every 3 or so years I get to run it. 
And can you tell Pure Ar from C25???:eek::twisted:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2014 18:29
Now add: GMAW-S, FCAW-S, and a little brazing with OFW.  That makes for a good day.  A little cast iron, a little brass, a little light sheet steel, a little structural iron, a little stainless steel.  It can be quite invigorating.  Makes you feel you really accomplished something when the day is done.

Praise the Lord, I don't have to jump around that much every day.  Especially now being mostly busy with inspections.

Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-08-2014 23:39 Edited 10-08-2014 23:49
I have had days with all of the above mentioned...
Very little OFW brazing but I have had to do lots of really screwy silver soldering(Oh the horrors they have thought up for me to braze/solder:eek::cry:)...
In one week I've gone from light steel to titanium to aluminum and then to stainless with a tiny bit of some inco grade thrown in and fused a spot a tiny brass eyelet for a co-worker...
SMAW is the odd one out for me. We mostly use GMAW(solid wire and flux cored) and GTAW. SMAW is only used for special alloys and areas too small to do anything else too... Nothing like a process I barely use for the hardest spots and trickiest alloys...:roll::roll::roll: Pictured below is one of the few happy times I get to have with SMAW; Duplex Stainless impeller repairs!:grin:
I personally love the ping pong ball in the dryer style of bouncing around, keeps me from getting bored.:twisted:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2014 23:49
Know what you mean.  I would never make it in a manufacturing production environment where I did the same exact welding process on the same exact joint on the same exact part day after day.  Variety is the spice of life. 

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-09-2014 02:16
Thank the Good Lord not everyone likes the same thing.

My brother doesn't understand how I can get up in the morning and not know where I'm going until the phone rings. He wants to know where he will be working and what he'll be doing 6 months from now. My problem is I can't think that far ahead!

Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-09-2014 13:30
Brothers.  Go figure.  My brother has been an example of what can happen to people who get involved with drugs.  He owns a Porsche and had his own house by the age of 20.  Unfortunately, all of it meant nothing because he ended up in a persistent vegetative state.  Marriage.  She took everything he eventually ended up homeless.  I’ve tried to help him as much as I can.  When I hit the lottery, I gave him a new home.  It was the box from my new 65” tv.  Payback is hell, isn’t it? I remember when we were kids, our mom asked me to hand out invitations for his surprise birthday party.  That was when I realized he was the favorite twin.  Now we can laugh about how competitive we were as kids.  But I laugh more.  When we were little we were always playing Robin Hood.  It was fun, but he was always Robin Hood and I always had to be Little John.  After a while I got sick of it and told him I wasn't playing any more.  “Ok” he said. “We'll play a different game and this time you can be Robin.”  That’s great.” I said.  “If I’m Robin, who are you gonna be?” “Batman” he said.  Another game I hated playing with him was hide and seek.   Maybe he felt sorry for me because he always hid in the same place, making it easy for me to find him…. at the bottom of the stairs, crying in his wheelchair.  We had our problems, but I owe my life to him.  When I was young, if it hadn't been for him, I'd never have known that I had a rare disease and because of it I had to eat fresh dog turds three times a day.  I was so thankful that he told me in time.  He eventually found a girlfriend, and for reasons unknown, he never brought her to the house until he was engaged to her.  When the family finally met her, I found her to be pretty, but not very smart.  To illustrate my point, during the introductions, my brother said to her, “This is my mother and this is my dad, and this is my brother.” “Nice to meet you all.” She said.  Then she looked at me and asked “Who’s the oldest? I said, “My dad.”  Now I realize that some of you may disagree with what I’m about to say, but I believe that it’s ok to have sex before marriage.  How else would I know if my brother's future wife was good enough for him?  Anyway, as I said earlier, it didn’t work out, and now I'm beginning to suspect that my brother may be gay because several times recently I've caught him checking out my butt.  As nice as it is, I’m still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because some of my skirts are a bit short.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-09-2014 20:01
Keep them coming Scott!

Al
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 10-09-2014 14:18
Happy to see the SS standoffs between the fit table and the impeller!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / a Hattrick?