Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TO: Flood of Newbies to the AWS Welding Forum
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-29-2014 04:47
Just out of curiosity, and in case I have totally misread the motives of the huge increase of forum membership,

If some of you are actually monitoring this forum for usable information and search opportunities for research either for work or school,

Would you like to introduce yourselves and tell us what brings you to our great forum?  We would love to hear from you if this happens to be a legitimate venture to learn more about the welding trades and the science and technology that guides it's advancement. 

If English is not your first and well spoken language just know there are abilities right here as well as from other formats for interpretation functions.  We do try to accommodate and assist all participants though we have been known to get a little short (speaking for myself at 5'5", no more short jokes please) on occasion. 

I have been wondering about this even though I was the first to jump in with both feet suspecting nothing but foul play.  But, on the off chance I have misread your intentions, enlighten us.  I don't want to be responsible for chasing away the next generation of welders, inspectors, engineers, etc in training. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-30-2014 01:27
So, I take it we were right about these newbies in the first place. 

Too bad.  I tried.

Brent
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 10-30-2014 02:46
I have had a beer or 2... So please disregard as needed...:wink::twisted:

I remember some poster a while ago asking about things that one of the semi-regulars seemed to know about. The semi-regular replied with greetings to the NSA, KGB, Mossad and a few other agencies...

The knowledge base of this forum is Vast and Wide, so its no wonder that some areas of the world that are being denied such knowledge are attempting to tap in any way they can...

I remember hearing about how ALCOA and some big steel company were hacked not too long ago by what was assumed to be China... I Guess ALCOA knows how to do things china can't? (or used to...)

I'm sure that most of the posters have far less diabolical intentions. :lol::lol:

Some of the posters have the feel of being someone that walked into a giant pile of bovine excrement and had no idea what they walked into. They ask about it on the forums and get replies about complexity and engineering support. So they go and ask the engineer... who greets their questions with a blank stare and total lack of understanding or comprehension... "You're the *whatever*... YOU figure it out!" *engineer storms off to go fix/cause the next problem...(:twisted::wink:)* and the poster is left holding a bag of "well above my pay grade". Now what are they supposed to do... :eek::evil::twisted:

2 bits of copper plated zinc for your entertainment... :lol:
-Clif
Parent - - By E S Thompson Date 10-30-2014 04:34
Brent,

I consider myself a fairly new CWI (of 4 years and counting) and enjoy and appreciate the vast amount of knowledge and experience that is here on the forum. I can assure you that I have no ill intitions and would like to thank all of the more seasoned and experienced welders and inspectors on here for the knowledge and experiences that they share.
Attaining my AWS-CWI was one of the proudest times of my life. You old timers have a lot of knowledge that you can pass on and I hope to pick some of that up on here and to possibly meet some of y'all one day. Especially Scott (that dude cracks me up with his posts) as well as both Al, you Brent and Henry and the list goes on as I'm sure I am forgetting quite a few.

Thanks for all the help both past and future.
Y'all provide a valuable resource for those of us who really enjoy the science of what we do.

Eric S Thompson
AWS-CWI
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-30-2014 04:48
Thank you for that Eric.

In case you have not noticed the thread under 'Posts About The Forum' Several of us have great reservations about this flood of newbies with strange names and affiliations that have been popping up over the past couple of weeks.  Their names look more than a little suspicious and not to mention how many list their birthdays but absolutely nothing else other than some links that are probably virus laden.  We have never had so many days in a row with so many birthdays.

As we have discussed here before, there are members who are not free under their employment agreements to use a name or at least their real name on here.  BUT, this appears way over the top in suspicious nature. 

I was giving them an opportunity to address the group if they were led here all at one time by a learning institution, union, or any other legitimate source in order to do research, network, learn English,  or whatever. 

Thanks again though for contributing your personal interest and appreciation for this forum.

Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 10-30-2014 06:54
Brent,
what a real boon to see that ... so, apparently no birthdays today in Poland.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-30-2014 11:10
Electrode,
I may be wrong, but it looks like someone (in charge of the forum software) has turned off the birthday notifications. Maybe due to the excessive spammers. I guess that is Okay, but I do like to send the regulars a birthday note wishing them a Happy Birthday and now I won't know when those dates come up.
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 10-30-2014 12:06
John,
yes, right you are. Actually this function is a good one, indeed.
To me it is as always. Some few - excuse me being impolite - silly blockheads are running riot or some criminal minds even misuse what's actually well-meant; making thereby the whole rational remainder suffering.

I also seem to recall in this conjunction that Joel Ifill aka 'Metarinka' was having birthday recently.
I may be wrong, but if so, 'Belatedly - Happy Birthday!' Metarinka.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-30-2014 14:14
Next Monday for me Mr. Wright :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-30-2014 17:28 Edited 10-30-2014 17:30
No wonder why we think @ a similar level Lar... My 2nd birthday this year and for the last 17 years is Saturday November 7th John, hint - hint...:grin::wink::cool:

In case anybody's wondering how I can have 2 birthdays each year for the last 17 years, it's not that complicated... on October 8th, 1997 I was blessed by the grace of God to be given the gift of life - a liver transplant...

So that's my 1st birthday for each year since and November 7th is my second one since I was born.:surprised::roll::smile::grin::wink::cool: See! that wasn't complicated at all.:lol::yell::lol::yell::twisted::grin::smile::roll::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-31-2014 01:08
And HAPPY Both Birthdays Henry.  This way I don't forget in a week.  I'll bet the second one means more than the first in a good many ways.  Hope you have a good many more.

Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-30-2014 17:48
John,

I have just entered my birthday as today in my profile and it has come up on my view of the forum! So I would think the birthday feature is still on. Don't know whether other forum members can see this? If so, I am not really 14 years old, I just act 14 most of the time!
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 10-30-2014 17:57
"I see it ... I can see it!" [1]

[1] Paul Muad'Dib
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 10-30-2014 20:04
Good!:lol:
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-30-2014 11:06
Eric,
I agree about Scott...funny postings :grin:
Parent - - By Ian T Date 06-10-2015 02:30
Hi Everyone,

I registered myself here as I have stumbled some problem at work with relation to welding.

I'm from Malaysia, I have worked in mass production line for electronic goods for about 8 years.

3 years ago I decided to switch into project management and only started to have some exposure to metal works.

Welding is very new to me and I until now I am still learning the trade.

I'm not sure this is the place I should be posting my problem, hoping I'll get some advise on this.

I have just completed a project of installation where welding is involved.  It was on a seaport container cranes. 

I am well aware that once an articled is being welded, the opposite face of the surface will have some burn marks on the paint, which needs to be repaired by standard paint repair process.

However, the opposite face is located in a confined space and requires a specific entry procedure.

I'm at the cross road now; the job awarded to me only tells me to repair affected damaged paint due to weld heat, but did not specify the job involves entry into confined space.:eek:

Is there any standards pertaining entering of confined space should be spelled out specifically?  Can anyone point me to some reference?  I have been googling up and down and couldn't find any answer.:cry:

Thank you.  With regards, Ian T.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-10-2015 03:51
Hello Ian, simply put, you do need to follow the specified entry procedure that you mention in your post. In the U.S. OSHA (occupational safety and health administration) spells out how these sorts of things need to be carried out. The safety of workers is the root concern with working in confined spaces.

Typically you need to have a "hole watch" meaning a person to watch out for the well-being of those folks working inside. Often times there are requirements of instrumentation that can sample the air quality in the confined space to insure that no unsafe atmospheres are there to affect the health and safety of those inside.

Sometimes equipment is utilized to provide for exchanges of air from the outside to the inside to add to safety and in extreme circumstances, self-contained breathing apparatuses are required as well.

Your mention of painting repair could mean that additional safety measures may be required to allow for fumes from solvents and paints be controlled in such a manner as to prevent unhealthy exposures for those who are performing the work and/or to prevent explosion dangers.

I am a little bit surprised that you cannot find something on Google. Try googling "OSHA" or possibly look at "API" as there may be some information that pertains to petroleum tanks and other confined spaces that might list some information. Or simply google "confined spaces and standards that apply". I hope that this is somewhat along the lines of what you are looking for. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Ian T Date 06-12-2015 10:19
Hi Allan,

Thanks for the information shared.  I have read through OSHA applicable in Malaysia and the steps of preparation, entry and control in a confined space is very detailed as we are talking about a man/woman who has a family waiting at home.

I'm taking up your advise and will search more on API, as I have not came across that in my search.

My concern is since this job particularly requires entry into confined space, shouldn't my client spell it out to me during the bidding process?  Or the responsibility is solely on my side?  I am arguing on this point as a client is the facility owner, he should have a better understanding of the hazards than me.....

Thanks again!  Your input is appreciated.

Ian
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-12-2015 14:39
Hello again Ian, I believe that you may have grounds for a change order to cover your time and expense to take care of this unforeseen detail to your work. I have not been on the business end of something like this, however, I believe that there are a number of others on the forum here who could give you some assistance in how you might proceed. Best of luck and regards, Allan
Parent - - By dick (**) Date 06-10-2015 08:04 Edited 06-10-2015 09:27
Ian, a couple of pretty good reads on welding and safety requirements of confined spaces I found  are in the WIT book [Welding Inspection Technology] Module 2 and ANSI Publication Z117.1 Safety Requirements for working in tanks and other confined spaces.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Dick
Parent - By Ian T Date 06-12-2015 10:20
Hi Dick,

That is a very specific source I may need, thanks for the pointer!

Have a nice day!  Ian
Parent - By Ian T Date 06-12-2015 10:22
Hi Tim,

Thanks for sharing the information.  Appreciated!  Ian
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 06-10-2015 18:09
Hello Ian. I have worked in many industrial settings and entered countless confined space environments.  Every one of them I can think of had their own safety procedures in place for you to follow. I cannot imagine that they would expect you to create your own procedure for entering a confined space on their property. Surely they must have their own company Safety Representative, I would suggest that you contact this person and ask for their procedure. To enter confined spaces requires many things to be in place, including the proper permits, atmospheric testing, properly trained hole watch attendants, egress contingency plans and equipment, and on and on...this should all be dictated by the property owner's written procedures.
Parent - - By Ian T Date 06-12-2015 10:30
Hi Bradley,
Sad to say but I am not condemning my client, they have procedures in place that requires small time contractor like me to do the risk assessment, HIRAC & etc, that is where the loop hole is with the whole place.  By simply wash-off their hands and leave everything to contractors is simply bad.  Now I am in this situation they simply point it back to me that I have not done a good HIRAC and for the cost of confined space entry for this particular job was not costed during my bidding process..... yet they still insist me to get the paint repair done.
I'm sorry that this turns out to be off topic from welding...... I am really grateful your opinion shared with me.  Ian
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-12-2015 16:17
Ian,

Welcome to the forum.

While I wish you had posted this under the safety section having started your own thread I am pleased you are participating and have a very good conversation going.

Your topic is very real to welders and this forum.  We don't consider you to be 'off topic'. 

Even when a project owner does have a program in place it is generally up to each individual sub contractor on a job to draw up the fine details of how they are approaching and handling the issue as regards their work requirements.  A painter would have different problems than a welder, than an electrician, than a plumber, than a clean up person, etc.

That means you need to have determined a need for assessing risks, Risk Evaluation Work Sheet, with information available at the bid and allowing for some time to draw up a plan for your workers and implementing that plan including providing any equipment needed.  When I go to a tower job I have to make up a plan for THAT project and how it differs from any other tower for access, attachments, rescue, emergency assistance, etc.  When on a roof, I don't trust the General Contractors safety plan in total, nor the customer/owner.  I evaluate, plan, write up my own procedure and then make sure the plan is followed by the employees of mine on site.  The location, type of project, exact work requirements will all determine my plan and how it is implemented. 

Not all welders certs are the same, not all WPS's are the same, not all safety guidelines are the same.  They must reflect the needs of each individual job situation, circumstances, and more.

- - By Jim814 Date 10-30-2014 13:03
I have been coming on here for probably a little over a year now just to browse and really enjoy the knowledge that comes along with it. I became a CWI about a year and a half ago, so I am really new to this end of things. I just like coming on here and learning about things I've never had to deal with incase they should come up in the future. Just noticed today that I have never registered with the forum. So no ill intensions on this end :lol:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-31-2014 01:06
WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

And thanks for not being a spammer  :lol: 

Glen, good to know.  Saw your bday on there and asked the question myself in the other thread.  Now I know why the age.  Sure doesn't say much about your pic if that is your age.  Better relax and slow down  :lol: 

Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-02-2014 15:06
LOL I always seem to be on the go at the moment! I have more embarrassing pictures! Think that was at Roswell!
- - By msharitt (**) Date 06-01-2015 20:07
Brent,

Myself probably one of the newer/younger ones here. I stumbled here shortly after passing my test in looking for an answer. With all the knowledge here my question was answered precisely and quickly. I do not post often as I can normally pull answers from the great number of post already here. I got into welding in high school then college. Worked as a welder for a few years before got into fitting. Then it was dimensional checking before I made the decision(by made the decision, I mean saved up the money) to test. I don't have half the experience most have here as most, I have noticed on this forum, have been doing this as long as I've been alive. I read around and try to learn as much as possible. This is a good resource. Learning QC work is like when I started welding/fitting, the more experienced ones who can teach you something are getting fewer and more sparse to teach the young ones. It is however convenient that a fair amount of experience has gathered here for questions to be answered and discussed. So as I as well as many others get deeper into the workforce. I personally thank the experienced ones here. I'm sure I'll need an answer at some point, if a previous post hasn't already answered one before.
Parent - By dick (**) Date 06-05-2015 06:01
Hey everybody, I've been browsing this site for about 6 months. I posted a couple of times, just now realizing you all were probably wondering where I came from. I apologize for that, I'm an expiper [still have the old 57 sa200] now doing QC work in a machine & welding company. Looking to take D1.1 exam in the future, that is how I came about this site. Lots of good info for a person to read and learn in the differant areas of this site. Many questions answered already and yet to ask any questions,thanks!

Dick
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-05-2015 14:17
Welcome both of you and thanks for the brief intro.

It is questions that keep all of us learning, sharing, helping, and mentally active.

Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TO: Flood of Newbies to the AWS Welding Forum