Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Happy Veterans Day
- - By SCOTTN (***) Date 11-10-2014 16:35
I realize it's not until tomorrow, but I felt the need to get the ball rolling and pay my respects a day early. 

For the veterans within this great forum, tomorrow is a day, that for those of us who have never served, including myself, will never fully understand the sacrifices you’ve made in times of war, as well as the sacrifices you’ve made in times of peace.  We will never fully understand all the atrocities that you were subjected to during times of war, what you were required to do, or how you were able to do it.  We will never understand the depth of your scars, but we can offer you this: We see you.  We recognize your humanity, and we send you love that is gentle, patient, and healing.  With blessings and so much gratitude, we ask you remember that you are loved and that your efforts, your sacrifices, and your dedication to preserving our freedom, are never forgotten.  May God bless and shed his grace on you.

I Am a Veteran

Andrea C. Brett

You may not know me the first time we meet,
I’m just another you see on the street.
But I am the reason you walk and breathe free.
I am the reason for your liberty,
I am a veteran.

I work in the local factory all day,
I own the restaurant just down the way,
I sell your insurance…
I start your IV,
I’ve got the best looking grandkids you’ll ever see.
I’m your grocer, your banker, your child’s schoolteacher.
I’m your plumber, your barber, your family’s preacher.
But there’s part of me you don’t know very well.
Just listen a moment, I’ve a story to tell.
I am a veteran.

I joined the service while still in my teens,
I traded my prom dress for camouflage greens.
I’m the first in my family to do something like this.
I followed my father like he followed his.
Defying my fears and hiding my doubt,
I married my sweetheart before I shipped out.
I missed Christmas, then Easter.
The birth of my son.
But I knew I was doing what had to be done.

I served on the battle front, I served on the base.
I bound up the wounded and begged for God’s grace,
I gave orders to fire,
I followed commands,
I marched into conflict in far distant lands.
In the jungle, the desert, on mountains and shores,
In bunkers, in tents, on dank earthen floors.
While I fought on the ground, in the air, on the sea,
My family and friends were home praying for me.
For the land of the free and the home of the brave,
I faced my demons in foxholes and caves.
Then one dreaded day, without drummer or fife,
I lost an arm, my buddy lost his life.

I came home and moved on, but forever was changed.
The perils of war in my memory remain.
I don’t really say much. I don’t feel like I can,
But I left home a child,
And I came home a man.

There are thousands like me,
Thousands more who are gone,
But their legacy lives as time marches on.
White crosses in rows,
And names carved in queue,
Remind us of what these brave souls had to do.

I’m part of a fellowship,
A strong mighty band,
Of each man and each woman,
Who has served this great land.
And when old glory waves,
I stand proud,
I stand tall,
I helped keep her flying over you, over all,
I am a veteran.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-10-2014 16:46
Scott, thank you for including that very powerful poem here and your own thoughts. I did not serve either, yet I have been a benefactor since the time I was born, to this day now. Thanks to all of the veterans out there, those past, those present, and those yet to come in the future. You are truly appreciated even if no one ever says so or you do not wish to speak of it. Respectfully and with greatest regards, Allan
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-11-2014 23:12
Happy Veterans Day to all who served and/or serving today.

Thanks for your service and sacrifice.
Robert
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-12-2014 01:12
I would also like to offer my thanks to all those who served or are seving. I appreciated your service!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-12-2014 02:43 Edited 11-12-2014 02:47
One Soldier’s Life

by Roy Widing
On a cold and rainy evening Near an old and sunken grave Sounds a trumpet’s simple, solemn tune Respects paid to the brave

Mere interest on a huge debt owed For the biggest sacrifice Through terror, sorrow, untold pain Fire, smoke and ice

This soldier, many never knew But he was someone’s son And gave the promise of his youth Now he’s the greater one

His battleground was far from home He fought to keep us free While many men spend lives on self This man gave his for me

So many never made it back They rest on foreign soil Such gallant men I’ll not forget For they define what’s loyal

Graves very often mention The place where brave men fell For others, we may never know As only God can tell

Location matters little For lives they nobly gave Near forest, field or desert In air, or watery grave

This young man Left his loved ones home War pulled those lives apart And left his fractured family With but a broken heart

One soldier’s life speaks loud for those Now silent through the years This brave man’s sacred resting place I wash with grateful tears

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Lest we not forget the Veterans of World War II... The 'Official Hancock CV/CVA-19 Poem

Lads, you hold to the annals of courage The hooks with Honor bound.
And you roll the names that you read there And faith, 'tis a pleasant sound.

Then think as you're walking the foc'cle The HANNAH Hull down on the sea;
Think of the men who man Her - And the men who memory be.

Aye, feel of the throb of Her innards And look't the sweep of Her prow.
And know by the likes of your feelings There's trouble ahead of Her bow.

Then know that the fleet's a-waiting For Her and your kind in the West;
Aye lad, when they've need of full courage, The HANNAH will rank with the best

They'll tell of Her guns and Her skippers.. The tales of "WAY BACK WHEN"
And each of those lines will be singing The praises of gallant men.

They'll write of a mad Old Lady Who was always willing to fight;
Who spit at the foe until sundown And searched for it through the night.

Then think, If your soul is Christian And allowing someday you'll die:
I hope when it comes that I'll find Her OLD HANNAH afloat in the sky.

Then lad you can sail for centuries.. No watches and double sea pay,
And the sailors of Heaven will envy you.. You men of the Fighting HANNAH today!

The 'Official Hancock CV/CVA-19 Poem - 1945 by Lt. George 'Hector' Rodgers - Fighting Squadron 6 - Originally submitted by 'Hector' who called himself an "Overpaid Sailor" - and contributed to this Site by Capt Herschel Pahl, USN (Ret), our WWII Representative and Author of 'Point Option' - a wonderful Epic seen through the eyes of a Naval Aviator, during the War in the Pacific.

1: Sally.

Five boxes wide by eight, two your rank and name, two messages a week - one mine, one for your Mum,

tucked brown in your locker no grammar no commas no complex feelings: dyed my hair red got the job yay.

2: Carla

Great cracks, rats, these things happen when you're at sea - it's me who handles it.

Takes two weeks to knit our lives together, third week's lovely, by the fourth you're out there in your mind, I think just go then.

3: Shelly

My mother tried to make me understand, but being lonely wasn't in my world – I grew up in a pub,

not this big north-facing house. Let's next time say bye at the door. I can't wave off the boat again.

4: Viv

In a cold bucket of water vibrating on torpedo tubes, you wash your pants, try to find an empty bed

still warm from the one before you, you read this... I try to see you - are you still the same?

5: Anne

It gets tedious boxing up my week, into the void. But you ticked the box saying no bad news thanks - why would you want it,

down there? So silence would mean bad news, but here's my good news: no news.

6: Alice

You left a baby who had trouble rolling over. You'll find him on a chair, standing, apron round his middle,

sleeves at elbows, washing dishes, and won't believe your eyes - not your son, standing, washing, not our own magic trick!

7: Margaret

You'd be in a mess of guys, the loneliest person in the world - have to break out the ballast brick

fruit cake I made to stop the aching. That's how I'm thinking of it now: a long deployment, not dead.

I'm the galloping ghost of the Japanese coast You don't hear of me and my crew.

But just ask any man off the coast of Japan If he knows of the Trigger Maru.

I look sleek and slender alongside my tender With others like me at my side,

But we'll tell you a story of battle and glory, As enemy waters we ride.

I've been stuck on a rock, felt the depth charge's shock, Been north to a place called Attu,

and I've sunk me two freighters atop the equator Hot work, but the sea was cold blue.

I've cruised close inshore and carried the war to the Empire Island Honshu,

While they wire Yokahama I could see Fujiyama, So I stayed, to admire the view.

When we rigged to run silently, deeply I dived, And within me the heat was terrific.

My men pouring sweat, silent and yet Cursed me and the whole damned Pacific.

Then destroyers came sounding and depth charges pounding My submarine crew took the test.

Far in that far off land there are no friends on hand, To answer a call of distress.

I was blasted and shaken (some damage I've taken), my hull bleeds and pipe lines do, too

I've come in from out there for machinery repair, And a rest for me and my crew.

I got by on cool nerve and in silence I served, Though I took some hard knocks in return,

One propeller shaft sprung and my battery's done, But the enemy ships I saw burn.

I'm the galloping ghost of the Japanese coast, You don't hear of me and my crew.

But just ask any man off the coast of Japan, If he knows of the Trigger Maru.

USS Trigger was lost with all hands during her twelfth patrol, on March 26, 1945. Toll the bell...

"Toll the bell, you submariners, for your brethren of the deep. Who went to sea so long ago and still their constant vigil keep.

Tell the nation who they are and where they lie beneath the sea. Keep the faith with those brave comrades who patrol eternally...

"...Toll the bell for Shark and Grunion, gallant warriors of the sea Toll the bell for brave Pompano, Grenadier, and Tullibee.

Sing your praises for the Thresher, Grayling and the Amberjack. And for all the men who perished, mothers’ sons who won’t come back..."

And finally one of my favorites:

SUBMARINER U.S.N.

TO MY DYING DAY, I’LL BE PROUD TO SAY, THAT I SAILED IN THE DEPTHS OF THE SEA.

FOR YOU’LL EARN YOUR KEEP, WHEN YOU TAKE HER DEEP, WHERE KING NEPTUNE WAITS FOR THEE.

NO HAZE GRAY, TO PITCH AND SWAY,  AND CHUM THE OCEAN BLUE.

FOR SURFACE SHIPS, ARE JUST TARGET BLIPS, WHEN SPIED BY A SUBMARINE CREW.

TO YOUNG FOR FEAR, BUT NOT FOR BEER, WE’D PULL INTO SUBIC BAY.

AND NEVER TELL, HOW MUCH SAN MIGUEL, YOU CAN DRINK ON A SAILORS PAY.

WITH BAR FINES PAID AND KEELS WELL LAID, YOU DRINK YOUR LAST RED HORSE.

THERE’S WORK NEEDS DONE, YOU’VE HAD YOUR FUN, NOW SAILOR SET YOUR COURSE.

AT SEA AT NIGHT, THE MOON GLOWS BRIGHT, AND YOUR EYES PLAY TRICKS WITH YOU.

AND SAILORS DRINK A TOAST TO A MERMAID’S GHOST, AND THEIR DREAMS THEY ALL COME TRUE.

I’VE HEARD THE ROAR, OF THE OCEAN SHORE, AND WEAR THESE FISH WITH PRIDE.

FOR THE MANY MATES, WHO MET THEIR FATE, FOR FREEDOM’S PRICE THEY DIED.

By John Chaffey SSN639, SSN687, SSBN619

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 11-13-2014 00:19
Thank you to all who have served and are still serving!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-18-2014 23:55
To all who have served present and past, peace and in war;  Myself and family owes you not only our gratitude, but our very livelihood, lives and way of life. Most of my family has served during times of conflict, I however have not due to physical disabilities....all of you have my sincerest respect and admiration.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Happy Veterans Day