Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Close Call!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-17-2015 22:17
I had a close call this afternoon. My excavator and I almost went ass over tea kettle right down a steep slope!

I wasn't sure I was going to live long enough to participate in the Forum again. I was moving snow with my little excavator. The snow was just soft enough that it packed and was slippery as the devil. I was moving it across a slight incline (only a couple of degrees), when it slid sideways toward the bank. There is a drop off of about 18 inches and then it slopes downward at nearly a 45 degree angle. The only thing that stop the excavator was an old wire fence. The one track was literally supported by some snow. As you know, that ain't much to depend on.

I got out of the cab and fell down the slope end over end, right to the bottom and on to the street. My neighbor saw me roll down the slope and get up looking like a walking talking snowman. He's probably still laughing.

I got some chains and lashed the machine to a tree to keep it from sliding any further down the slope. The chain was all that kept the machine from going over the edge and tumble sideways down the slope. Because the machine was sideways and because there is about an 18 inch drop, the excavator would have toppled over on the way down. Fortunately, the chain held and prevented that from happening.

I used the bucket to hoist the low track up about 18 inches to level the machine. Then I threw ten 40-pound bags of wood pellets under the track and let the machine down. Every time I moved, the machine would slide toward the drop off a little more. I kept the machine chained to the tree as I swiveled the tracks and drove up to solid ground.  I cut the chain loose and parked the machine.  I was exhausted! 

I really feared that the machine and I would go over the bank when it first happened. If the machine did go over sideways, I wouldn't be here writing this post. The door opened toward the slope and excavator would have crushed me when I fell out without any doubt. The only thing that kept the machine from going over was a thin steel wire. The wire did break when I swiveled the tracks and made my final move toward solid ground. I haven't been this scared in many years. The old heart was beating a mile a minute.
My wife would not look out the window while I was trying to get the machine out of the fix it was in.

Catch you later! I'm still alive!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 02-17-2015 23:08
So I take it the check underpants light was flashing a bit....
Glad to hear everyone and everything survived!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-17-2015 23:11
The hole was so big, they didn't qualify for underwear any longer.

Al
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-17-2015 23:56
WOW Al, definitely a defining moment when about a million thoughts likely were streaming through your head. Glad that you made it through essentially "unscathed"! Equipment is great when everything is going your way, but as you experienced, not so awesome when you're facing a situation like that. Well, keep yourself on 2 tracks and vertical and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By lo-hi (**) Date 02-18-2015 01:00
I had an old 420 JD crawler loader, 2 cylinder slow , even wide open. Pushing back snow banks one day and backed crossways on  a downhill driveway, slid to the bottom and caught solid ground with a thump. Felt like o to 20 in 6 feet. Ahh , the heart warming moments that let us know the Big guy still cares.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-18-2015 01:05 Edited 02-18-2015 01:54
Been there, done that a few years ago with my 1953 John Deer dozer. The tracks are like ice skates when cross wise to a downhill slope. I ended up across the town road before I was stopped by a big snow bank!

Al
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 02-18-2015 01:16
Oooops.

Glad you are ok!

Griff
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-18-2015 01:55
Thanks Griff.

Al
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-18-2015 13:37
Take it easy Al!
Bit of snow clearence is not worth hurting yourself or even worse.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 02-18-2015 11:28
Glad you're safe Al. 
Should save a piece of wire as a memento.
Tyrone
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-18-2015 11:59
Dude...be careful out there! Glad that you came out with nothing worst than a bruised ego. Don't forget those belts to keep you in the seat should that thing ever decide to go upside down. I lost a neighbor to heavy equipment and the lack of a seat belt. He was foreman for a large company and knew better, but it was Friday afternoon and quitting time. He told his employee to go on that he would park the pan up over the hill for him. He jumped on and went straight up the hill and it turned over throwing him onto the ground on the way over then it crushed him. His son and I were good friends and in the 5th grade together and it ruined that kid....at least I blame that accident for how he turned out in life.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 02-18-2015 12:23
Glad to read you're ok.
Inconceivable if welding enthusiasm would have lost a fundamental piece of its backbone.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-18-2015 14:10
Dude....Gota be careful out there.... The Big Guy was looking out for you that time!!!!!!!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-18-2015 14:35
Praise the Lord for His ever present arms protecting us from our own lack of thoughtful care. 

Glad you are okay sir, I still owe you a cup of tea.  Hard to imagine waiting for you to greet me in the afterlife in order to pay up.

He Is In Control,  Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-20-2015 17:18
Al,
  I sure am glad it turned out OK!!! WOW

jrw159
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-22-2015 14:50
Glad your OK! That woulda drew me up pretty tight.

A mans gotta go when he's gotta go but I'm thankful it wasn't then for you.

Have a great day

Gerald
- By 803056 (*****) Date 02-18-2015 14:59
I have no doubt the Creator watches over me. I've had many close calls over the years and walked away unscathed.

My father-in-law once told me, "Butch, even a cat only has nine lives. You've used up at least eight of yours."

It is good to know someone a heck of a lot smarter than me is watching over me and my family. I figure he has plans for me that I am unaware of.

I've had close calls when I was an Ironworker, like the time the building collapsed while I was connecting. Another one was when I was scheduled to work on an offshore platform in the Gulf. I wasn't able to make it. My wife stood her ground, "If you think your going to leave me in New Orleans for two to six weeks while you go play offshore, you're nuts."

Anyway, when we got back to New England my father-in-law says, "I thought you were going to work offshore? Isn't this the company you were going to work for?"

I said, "I was, but Marion convinced me otherwise. Son of a gun, it is the same company!"

He tossed the newspaper down in front of me. The helicopter that I would have been on crashed and killed everyone on board.

I just hope the "Big Fella" doesn't blink while I'm in the middle of doing something crazy. It is another good reason to say my prayers every evening.

Best regards - Al
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-18-2015 19:29
Thanks everyone!

Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2015 21:26
Be careful there Al.
It's the "little things" that'll gitcha.
I've had a few close calls on the tractor doing snow removal and mowing invasive weeds here at the intown ranch. I guess when I'm out at the wilderness retreat, I'm perhaps more careful since there is no EMS or anything that could get to me even if they knew exactly where it is.
Of all the near misses I've experienced in decades of heavy industry/construction, I still think we are at more risk left to our own devices.
One time 2 summers ago on the dirt bike, I was trying to out run a lightning storm. Got an old barbed wire fence on the ground wrapped around the chain and sprocket. It stopped me rather quickly... well the bike stopped sooner than I did... Spend a couple of frantic minutes chopping the wire with a hatchet whilst bolts with instant thunder cracked all around me. Spent the better part of the next day tearing the drive system apart getting wire out from places unimaginable.
Stay alert Al.
We need "lerts" like you.
We like "lerts" like you.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 02-19-2015 00:33
Yes Al you need to be careful because you have a lot of thing's going on. It look's like someone was watching over you.

M.G.
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 02-19-2015 02:54
THE MAN certainly has a way of keeping Your attention focused.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-19-2015 09:19 Edited 02-19-2015 09:29
Well, I'm glad you're okay Al!:eek::grin:

Speaking of close calls - unnngghhh where do I begin!!! Well, let's just say that me and Al played "hookie' the day they gave that class on dying and I know that if I keep playing "hookie" from that class then I'll be fine... I suspect Al feels the same...:lol::wink::cool: "if it weren't for bad luck - I wouldn't have any luck at all.":grin::cool:

The fascinating thing that I remember most out of all of my close calls, and I have felt his presence more than once - was a feeling of giant glove catching me as I fell down one of the nuclear submarine's missile tubes  I was working on just enough so that only my "Humerous" bone broke from the fall... Now if that isn't divine intervention then I don't know what is!!! It's funny now that I look back at it today but not funny at all back then!:eek::twisted::lol::grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-19-2015 22:07
Seat belts are VERY important.  I'll never forget one day that I forgot to put my seat belt on.  As my six year old and I were leaving the parking lot, somebody yelled "You're an irresponsible father!" I rolled my window down and yelled back "Who said that?" "Stop the car, son."
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-21-2015 19:15
Remember the line from 'Jaws' when the wooden dock bumps back into the bank?
  "Can we go home now?"
Adventure is always great when you can walk away. Be careful out there.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-21-2015 19:24
The best part about the movie Jaws is at the very end.  When you get to the end, you can rewind it and watch it backwards.  It's pretty cool to see a shark who throws up so many people that they have to open a beach.
- - By theweldor (*) Date 02-22-2015 23:17
To help with this not happening again. Put about 6- 3/8" bolts in each track for the winter. It will give it just enough grip so that it won't just slide on a frozen surface. I used to weld about 6 1/2" nuts on the steel tracks on my trackloader each fall just so it wouldn't be an ice skate.
Hope this helps. Pretty scary experience when they take off like that.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-23-2015 01:07
My tracks are rubber pads molded onto the steel track. If there is a way to do as you suggest, it is a good idea.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-23-2015 02:13
Al,

as ur devoted friend I will say this...grab the oh **** bars in that cab and ride it.   Also remember you are in control and if you are a decent operator ...you can overcome much adversity with a swing and plant of your bucket.  THe physics of what your driving compared to a 700xe are pretty much the same cept for horsepower.  I am glad you lived...and even glad it happened to you cause those are the experiences the make you appreciate being alive and make you FEEL alive.  So in my humble opinion you were lucky to be so fortunate for this to happen because it did you good.  You may say thats crazy but I promise you it helped you out and made you appreciate EVERYTHING more.  Your a half ass trackhoe operator for sure....but keep putting yourself in sketchy situations with it and you will develop those high class operator skills.  They come from two things...jeopardy and Time vs. dirt.   You go Al!!!!!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-23-2015 03:20
Some people climb rock cliffs, some people jump out of perfectly good airplanes, some people race overpowered go carts, I like to play with heavy equipment. Houses, cars, and pedestrians beware!

Al
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-06-2015 18:09
Good thing you weren't working here,

or here!
Attachment: Tower.png (225k)
Attachment: Cliff.png (927k)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-06-2015 21:06
Just one wrong move!

Al
- - By Xuago Date 03-06-2015 14:46
oh dear!! At least you had a little adventure haha
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-06-2015 15:28
that's a nice looking little unit, glad your ok.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Close Call!