Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Chicken Gun
- - By Superflux (****) Date 04-11-2015 04:36 Edited 04-11-2015 04:47
The Chicken gun...
So, What to do on a beautiful Wyoming Spring day at home and bored.
The internet rumor has it that some poor sap held a Smith and Wesson XVR 460 Magnum pistol improperly and blew his thumb off. Well, me and Michelle (OK, I coerced the poor darling into the roll of videographer) decided to play "MythBuster" and give it a go. Fortunately we used 2 camera set-ups. One failed to record in Slo-Mo, but the set-up shots with a still unit and the other video panned out.
Here's how the experiment was setup. Rubber banded some chicken wing parts onto a Smith and Wesson XVR 460 Magnum pistol at the cylinder gap to forcing cone and over the compensator on the muzzle.
See for yourself how the "hold my beer and watch this" turned out.
Lessons learned...
1) Color code the individual parts. 4 parts were affixed to the gun and only 2 partials were recovered.
2) Wear more PPE... primarily a face shield. 4 hours later we are both still picking skin, meat and bone from our hair, clothes and skin! My forehead and hands feel like I've been sand blasted.
3) Pretest all equipment prior to rolling the cameras.
4) DO! Hold a large caliber handgun properly. It WILL BLOW BODY PARTS CLEAN APART.

FOR THOSE UNFAMILIAR WITH THIS WEAPON PLATFORM...
The 460 is basically equivalent to a 45-70 rifle in a handgun.
Comparing this to a .44 magnum is like comparing a .22lr to a .38 special.

All comedy aside, PLEASE respect firearms.
Treat them as loaded at all times.
Don't try this at home. Your neighbors will not be amused.
Attachment: SW460Experiment-1.JPG (354k)
Attachment: SW460Experiment-3.JPG (356k)
Attachment: SW460Experiment-4.JPG (359k)
Attachment: SW460Experiment-5.JPG (362k)
Attachment: SW460Experiment-6.png (316k)
Attachment: SW460Experiment-9.JPG (307k)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-11-2015 06:04
Hello John, I almost bought one just like that. I guess I'll have to look back into that "platform". Looks like my kinda way to spend an afternoon. Now to add some information to your very scientifically conducted experiment: I have a new to me rifle, Mod.700 Rem. 300 Wthby Mag. with a muzzle brake. The blast from that brake is "TREMENDOUS" and I'm pretty sure that if I tied chicken parts to the end of the barrel on it and fired it I would see similar results. I know that when I am at the range with it that anyone within 2 benches of me is giving me the "eye" everytime that I fire it. Would like to see your video though. Have a great day and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-11-2015 12:14
The unique muzzle blast of my 300 Win Mag has always told my sons when Dad had his elk.  After they got it Magna Ported for me the direction of the blast was altered along with the direction of thrust (boy is it nicer on my shoulder).  Anyway, yes, now those to the side hear it more than those in any other direction. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-11-2015 13:12
I’ve never hunted for elk.  I prefer Fox hunting, or stalking, as Megan calls it.  It’s ok though.  The restraining order says that I can’t be within 100 feet of her, but the beauty of that is that I have to know where she is at all times in order to comply with it.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-11-2015 17:18
hahahahahaha  hahaha hhahahahahahahaha
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-11-2015 18:08
Hello Brent, I also own a 300 Win. Mag. and a 7mm Rem. Mag. Both of those rifles are HOWA's and of all of my big bore magnums the 7mm Mag. lets me know the most that I have shot it, even though I am shooting 150 gr. bullets out of it. I believe that it's the stock, as the 300 Win. Mag. in the same mod. HOWA kicks less even with a larger grain bullet. I've got a Butler Creek composite stock on the 7mm Mag. and the 300 Win. Mag. has a Hogue over-mold on it. The Rem. Mod. 700 in 300 Wthby. Mag. is the factory synthetic stock and has the muzzle brake, honestly it kicks the least of the 3 even with 180 grain bullets the same as I shoot in the 300 Win. Mag.

Anyways, now you guys have me thinking that it's a good afternoon to go out and burn-up a few rounds. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-13-2015 00:08
Thats whats cool about hunting handguns is the small game .......A 10mm with a scope is a challenging pig, rabbit gun.  Ones like Johns can lay down big game but are great fun hog hunting are larger varmit hunting.    Shoot a rabbit even at long range with that thing and all your left with is fluffly fur and grisly blood and meat.  Maybe an alligator or python pistol?>
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-16-2015 07:58
I like to blow things up! Boom!!!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 04-18-2015 05:45 Edited 04-18-2015 06:29
C'mon out this Summer Henry.
I have the wilderness retreat (referred to as Moose Belch Gulch) and "boom-able" supplies...
There's about a dozen or so folks on the roster for vacation at "the Gulch" this summer so might as well join in on the fun.
Any of my Forum Friends are always weldcome anytime I am there. You can see part of Yellowstone Park from there and pretty much anything goes. There have been clothing optional gatherings there (2 y/ago during Sturgis week)... so on occasion the view is better, but not necessarily so. Beauty may be only skin deep, but the underlying insulation can cause some optical distress.
As I said, any of ya coming to the Rally or Family Vacay, let me know. Free (primitive) camping!

Here's a couple of Sturgis bound city slickers (I let borrow some boomables) enjoying their stay at the Gulch.
Attachment: Bikers-n-guns2.JPG (281k)
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-18-2015 16:20
Allan,
really love the Wearthby .300 mag rifle
personal choice
and love their shotguns
just imho
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-18-2015 23:46
Yes Kent, I love it too, just don't care for the price of ammunition. Although, I will be reloading for it when I build up a stockpile of the brass. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Chicken Gun