Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / playin with trains
- - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 04-15-2015 03:23
I got to work on a 1919 2-8-2 Frisco Lines steam engine last weekend!! :grin:
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-15-2015 11:52
There are no words to describe how cool that looks.
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 04-16-2015 12:53
Those are the kind of jobs that I show up for a couple hours of work, and end up being there all day touching  all the old stuff.  The northeast has a rich history of the big steam engines, with the famous Steam town museum sitting in an old rail yard till it was moved to PA.  Years ago our chapter had a meeting with the people restoring the Yankee Clipper. It was an engineering marvel, ahead of its time and one of the most efficient passenger trains. The cars were fabricated from formed sheet stainless. spot welded together 3 or 4 layers at once.  Engineers predicated it would fall apart while running. The whole train was 3 cars with the middle car sharing the axles of the front and rear cars.  Nice pictures
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 04-17-2015 08:00
Great Pictures!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2015 16:25 Edited 04-15-2015 16:31
Wouldn't the water boil faster if they fired the boiler with coal or wood?

Interesting work when you can find it. Not too many of these tea pots left.

We have one in Connecticut that is coal fired and in running condition. It is a "recent" build, built in China of all places. Hartford Steam worked with ASME to get it properly documented to operate.

Al:grin:
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 04-16-2015 02:26
Some guys have all the fun!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-19-2015 03:15
Told ya to post it ya fat ass fckr!   That is really awesome Matt, cool wise you got me beat in spades.   That is per usual.  I hope it was a hoot and fun...sure looks like it was.

BTW I love the fact that you make me look normal in pics hahahahahahahahhaahahah.   Thats what ya get for the tig pipe thing.
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 04-20-2015 03:46
Thanks guys. I did end up spending a few hours looky looing around the museum. There's alot of history around downtown Fort Smith AR. The US Marshals museum will be built 5 blocks down from where I was at. Not to mention  Hanging Judge Parkers museum right next door. All in all it was a pretty good time hanging out with my friends and faculty at the trolley museum. BTW hang in there tommy it'll be ok...:lol:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-20-2015 13:37
You have to watch out hanging out with the hanging Judge.  Interesting history to be sure.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-20-2015 19:37
Very interesting indeed.  I’d always thought that Judge Parker was a bit too ruthless.  He sentenced 160 men to die and he hanged 79 of them.  He was so ruthless he even hung a man with a wooden leg.  All the other judges used rope.  I remember the last time I was in a courtroom and stood before a judge.  I ended up having to take a taxi to get there.  What are you here for?” the driver asked as he was dropping me off.  “I’m here for my bankruptcy hearing.” I said.  “Just find a parking place and follow me.”
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / playin with trains