Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Happy Memorial Day
- - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-22-2015 10:44
I do not know your name
Nor for which battle you died
I do not know your name
Nor the tears that were cried.

I do not know where you rest
Nor the promises broken
I do not know your uniform
And your fears lay unspoken.

But I know your spirit exists
That your courage is admired
And your sacrifice is honored
By each soul that’s inspired.

And I offer you from my heart
Thank you, to guardians unknown
For offering yourselves for us all
That we may keep freedom…..
Our home.

The United States flag doesn’t fly because the wind moves past it.  It flies from the last breath of each military member who died protecting it.  Our debt to those heroic men and women can never be repaid.  On Memorial Day, we remember their service, their sacrifice, and their commitment.  They gave their last full measure of devotion in order for us to enjoy the blessings of liberty, freedom, and democracy.  God bless them one and all, and may He grant them peace in their eternal rest.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-22-2015 16:27
Well said!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-22-2015 23:16
Very Well Said.

And a thanks from me and my family as well to all those who have served in any position of service to this country.  And especially to the families of those who gave their all. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-23-2015 05:20
I may stir the drink a bit with these comments so please don't get too offended...

A lot of tribute is given on Memorial day to show our gratitude to the Men and Women who served in the armed forces throughout our history... The World War's I & II heroes that made the ultimate sacrifice in the service to their country, but most of all their brothers in arms... The Civil War is talked about a whole lot as is Viet Nam and even the Spanish American War is celebrated with the charge up San Juan Hill with Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders... I would think that the Texas War of Independence and the Mexican American War is talked about in the region of the South West to honor their Heroes and rightfully so... Please forgive me if I failed to mention another war... Especially in Iraq or Afganistan, both of which are unforgettable to say the least...

The one war that is not talked about enough, and it is a shame that is hasn't been given the respect it deserves was the Korean War... Why? Because technically it wasn't a war? It was a Police Action instead? Yeah Right!:mad:

Those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of the United States of America during and after Korea are IMHO, the forgotten heroes and Damn it! They don't deserve to be treated in the way they have by the public and the media, and it's a crying shame that more reverence, and outright respect is not expressed on Memorial Day or any other day for that matter... And could never be enough to show the heroes and their families of the Conflict in Korea how grateful we are for their sacrifices and their service...

Operation Desert Storm I'm afraid will soon be suffering the same fate soon after we look back and really take a hard look @ Operation Iraqi Freedom unless we start talking more about it too... Who Knows! I just wish we could show more respect to the Heroes of Korea because the conditions they fought through were amongst the worse anyone could bear... Especially with what happened in the Chosin Reservoir. it was probably the US Marines darkest days and amongst their finest also because despite everything that went wrong there, they still managed to break out after experiencing some of the worst weather conditions and being surrounded by a million or more Chinese as well as not having enough supplies and cold weather gear to having supplies meant for them ending up in the hands of the Chinese and North Koreans that were still alive for crying out loud!

Those who fought alongside the Heroes of Korea - The vets who made it back alive deserve more respect for what they went through... And then there's not enough recognition given to General Matthew Bunker Ridgeway who basically got rid of the defeatists and defensive minded leadership, and instead replaced that culture with a take charge attack attitude which for all intended purposes saved the armed forces from defeating themselves in Korea... Here's some more about General Ridgeway and his accomplishments in his career from Korea until he retired... And before I forget, General Ridgway was in WWII and led the 17th, 82nd, and the 101st Airborne Divisions as well as in charge of the very first Airborne division of the 82nd and yet not enough is said about him...     Matthew Ridgway - The Korean War:

Appointed Deputy Chief of Staff in 1949, Ridgway was in this position when the Korean War began in June 1950. Knowledgeable about operations in Korea, he was ordered there in December 1950 to replace the recently killed General Walton Walker as commander of the battered Eighth Army. Meeting with MacArthur, who was the supreme United Nations commander, Ridgway was given latitude to operate the Eight Army as he saw fit. Arriving in Korea, Ridgway found the Eighth Army in full retreat in the face of a massive Chinese offensive. An aggressive leader, Ridgway immediately began working to restore his men's fighting spirit.

Removing defeatists and the defensive-minded, Ridgway rewarded officers who were aggressive and conducted offensive operations when able. Halting the Chinese at the battles of Chipyong-ni and Wonju in February, Ridgway mounted a counter-offensive the following month and re-took Seoul. In April 1951, after several major disagreements, President Harry S. Truman relieved MacArthur and replaced him with Ridgway. Promoted to general, he oversaw UN forces and served as military governor of Japan. Over the next year, Ridgway slowly pushed back the North Koreans and Chinese with the goal of re-taking all of the Republic of Korea's territory. He also oversaw the restoration of Japan's sovereignty and independence on April 28, 1952... Matthew Ridgway - Later Career:

In May 1952, Ridgway left Korea to succeed General Dwight D. Eisenhower as Supreme Allied Commander, Europe for the newly formed North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). During his tenure, he made significant progress in forming the organization's military structure though his frank manner sometimes led to political difficulties. For his success in Korea and Europe, Ridgway was appointed US Army Chief of Staff on August 17, 1953. That year, Eisenhower, now president, asked Ridgway for an assessment of possible US intervention in Vietnam. Strongly against such an action, Ridgway prepared a report which showed that massive numbers of American troops would be needed to achieve victory. This clashed with Eisenhower who wished expand American involvement. The two men also fought over Eisenhower's plan to dramatically reduce the size of the US Army, with Ridgway arguing that it was necessary retain enough strength to counter the growing threat from the Soviet Union.

After numerous battles with Eisenhower, Ridgeway retired on June 30, 1955. Active in retirement, he served on numerous private and corporate boards while continuing to advocate for a strong military and avoiding a large commitment in Vietnam. Remaining engaged in military affairs, Ridgway died on July 26, 1993, and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery. A dynamic leader, his former comrade Omar Bradley once remarked the Ridgway's performance with the Eighth Army in Korea was "the greatest feat of personal leadership in the history of the Army."

Here is a poem about the Korean War:    "THE WALK TO FREEDOM" By Frank G. Gross

"It was a long cold walk to freedom to the calm of the morning sun. As the task begins in the freezing winds
on a journey that must be won.

They walked away from burning homes and barely shed a tear, They walked away from treachery and walked away from fear.
It was a miracle at Christmas, Sixty five years ago, when one hundred thousand refugees Had braved the blizzard snow.

An old man in his sixties carried a heavy pack of food, of clothes and blankets, on the A-Frame on his back.
The strength of the solid frame and the courage held inside, started by wife, son and daughter, increased the father's pride.

Each step a vote for freedom when so many walked away, to find a path of peace on earth, that many know today.
It was a long cold walk to freedom, to the calm of the morning sun, in the freezing winds where the task began,
The journey now is won."

It was a Miracle at Christmas of Sixty Five years ago. When one hundred thousand refugees had braved the blizzard snow. Nearly 100,000 men, women and children, who "voted with their feet against communism" were evacuated by withdrawing allied forces, the last on Christmas Eve, 1950. Never before, not at Dunkirk, or Saigon, or any recorded battle, have combatants rescued so many enemy civilians in the midst of combat.

"The men of Chosin fought one of history's greatest battles but also wrote one of history's greatest humanitarian stories" said Navy Captain J. Robert Lunney, a director of the Chosin Few Association. "Directly because of their gallantry, those refugees are now free, many in the United States. They are a living legacy of the "Chosin Few." His sentiments were echoed by Dr. Donald K. Chung, then a schoolboy refugee, now a cardiologist, during a mini-reunion of "The Few" in Long Beach. "Without brave people like you, I wouldn't be here," the doctor said in an emotion choked voice.

Chosin was the epicenter of a monumential engagement that involved land, sea and air forces, each intergral in time and place. The campaign ranged from the first full scale battles with the Chinese, below the Reservoir to the bloody withdrawal and fighting the way out of entrapment by vastly superior in numbers enemy forces, of the Marine and Army units while still bringing those opposed to communist rule to safety."

So on this memorial Day, let's pay a tribute to one of the greatest Generals of all time as well as the sacrifices made by our vets during the Korean War! As well as all of the Heroes from all of the other wars fought to preserve our way of life.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-23-2015 05:46
Amen Henry, and, my dad served in the Air Force during Korea.  Never made it over there but served none the less.

Brent
- - By Paladin (***) Date 05-25-2015 23:01
Nice words SCOTTIN.

I was in Washington DC a couple of months ago.

The number of names on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall is just sobering.

The Korean War Veterans Memorial is haunting.

Thanks to those who have served.

Floyd
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 05-26-2015 00:28
With regard to the Korean War, which has unfortunately been referred to as "The Forgotten War" I found this, which is etched in stone at the Korean War Veteran’s Memorial in Liberty State Park in New Jersey...

We didn’t do much talking,

We didn’t raise a fuss.

But Korea really happened

So please - remember us.

We all just did our duty

But we didn’t win or lose.

A victory was denied us

But we didn’t get to choose.

We all roasted in the summer

In winter, we damn near froze.

Walking back from near the Yalu

With our blackened frozen toes.

Like the surf the Chinese kept coming

With their bugles in the night.

We fired into their masses

Praying for the morning light.

All of us just had to be there

And so many of us died.

But now we’re all but half forgotten

No one remembers how we tried.

We grow fewer with the years now

And we still don’t raise a fuss.

So please - remember us.

Very touching.  I pray for the day when everyone on God's creation will be awakened to the sound of birds and not to the sound of bombs.  Again, Happy Memorial Day.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-27-2015 11:08
'We didn’t do much talking,

We didn’t raise a fuss.

So please - remember us.'

Sort of sticks in my memory!
Parent - By dick (**) Date 05-28-2015 03:17
SCOTTN
Thanks, for sharing that. My moms brother, my uncle came back from the Korean war full of shrapnel, he made it back to us as so many didn't. God bless you veterans and service people for it all. Hmm,  If etched in stone, that is good, right.

Dick
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Happy Memorial Day